What did you do in the garden today?

First iris of many to come has opened...

View attachment 2617761

Something was also rooting around the garden last night. I found several tires and flower pots that had dirt disturbed like a nose was rooting through it. The potential culprits - fox, coyote, or deer. I'll have to pick up a game cam and put it out there so I can see what it is. It didn't damage any seedlings this time but I don't want my harvest raided like last year...
skunk or possum looking for grubs. YUMMY.
My lawn is pockmarked with skunk digs. Who knew grubs farted and skunks could smell them?
====
Pollen is so high that my eyes are not focusing today. I'm drowning in my own sinus' and congested at the same time, and I get swimmy if I move to fast, and I can feel the pressure building in my ears.
Allergies were so bad last Spring, worst and longest I've ever dealt with. No idea if it was because the pollen was extra wicked, or if Covid lungs and sinus' just didn't care for the extra stress.
Bread dough is in the machine as we speak. The laundry is going. Just had an egg order called in (So I'll go to the village tomorrow.) Decided I'll start more cells. I'll just put the heating mats on the floor as the cells on pads don't need lights. By the time they sprout, the greenhouse should be open.
got down to 29 last night, greenhouse was 31, but under the frost blanket was 38.
Will add heat sinks today and see how that helps, or doesn't.

I grow onions & I get them in early. They can handle temps down to 20 for short periods of time & can handle frost. Mine have been in the ground for 2 or 3 weeks now. I put in plants, not sets. Honestly I grow them more because bugs don't like them! I could never grow enough, but they do help with the bugs. I try to plant where the squash was the year before. :gig
Imagining squash bugs running and screaming. Ya, that's a great image.

Aw @karenerwin I'm so sorry about the pup. :hugs

Got a lot done over the weekend. The onions are in & fared well with the cold last night. The garden is all cleaned of leaves, as is the yard.

My habaneros haven't sprouted yet, not sure when to give up on them. I decided I will put up a hoop tunnel for the peppers & get them outside early (the ones that have actually sprouted).

Got the rain barrel tuned back over & ready for rain. Got the straw bale moved down there to plant in too.

I decided I'm putting in a big new raised bed. My garden is on a hill, so this will go at the bottom of if & look sort of like a retaining wall. I'm thinking strawberries. Lots & lots of strawberries. It's going to be like 12x4 & I'm not sure what we're making it out of, it might just be cinder blocks with the price of lumbar right now. But DH has the opportunity for both old railroad ties & telephone poles from work. I need to look into using that stuff where I grow food, not sure if it's a good idea or not. Anyone have thoughts?
My raised beds are cinder block. I really love that, since I don't have to bend down to the ground to weed it, it is sturdy and doesn't attract termites. I have always heard not to use treated wood in telephone poles and railroad ties for vegetables, because the creosote will leach into food, but they are fine for flowers.

I sometimes get nosebleeds from the Flonase so I stop for a couple of days. Saline nasal spray helps @penny1960. Of course Sudafed can increase your heart rate @WthrLady. Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride aka Sudafed, emphasis here is on "ephedrine," close chemical cousin to epineprine. Ephedrine is a stimulant. I used to take it in tablet form to help control my asthma. It acts similar to a vasodilator. If I took it now it may likely induce another heart attack. I've learned to be very careful when selecting medications and always discuss it with my Primary Care Physician. Considering your various medical issues I would encourage you to speak to your own doctor and have them find some medically safe alternatives, especially when you are doing so much work outside on your farm.

First iris of many to come has opened...

View attachment 2617761

Something was also rooting around the garden last night. I found several tires and flower pots that had dirt disturbed like a nose was rooting through it. The potential culprits - fox, coyote, or deer. I'll have to pick up a game cam and put it out there so I can see what it is. It didn't damage any seedlings this time but I don't want my harvest raided like last year...
We get squirrels, rabbits and armadillos digging around in ours.

skunk or possum looking for grubs. YUMMY.
My lawn is pockmarked with skunk digs. Who knew grubs farted and skunks could smell them?
====
Pollen is so high that my eyes are not focusing today. I'm drowning in my own sinus' and congested at the same time, and I get swimmy if I move to fast, and I can feel the pressure building in my ears.
Allergies were so bad last Spring, worst and longest I've ever dealt with. No idea if it was because the pollen was extra wicked, or if Covid lungs and sinus' just didn't care for the extra stress.
Bread dough is in the machine as we speak. The laundry is going. Just had an egg order called in (So I'll go to the village tomorrow.) Decided I'll start more cells. I'll just put the heating mats on the floor as the cells on pads don't need lights. By the time they sprout, the greenhouse should be open.
got down to 29 last night, greenhouse was 31, but under the frost blanket was 38.
Will add heat sinks today and see how that helps, or doesn't.

I didn't think about skunks. Of course, possum too.... Both are potential culprits. I'll have to go back out and take a picture. It's almost like something big stuck its nose in the compost/dirt, pulled up their nose, and then stuck it in another spot. By big...I mean the "divet" is the size of a deer nose. However, my place has quite a few foxes and coyotes. I know they both will search for grubs and can have the same size nose so I thought they could be candidates. Anyway, I'll take a picture and you can give me your opinions....

Allergies... For years, all since moving to the south, I've battled seasonal allergies. Spring and fall are the worst. I would take Claritin-D nearly every day.... But for whatever reason (knock on wood), mine haven't been too bad this spring so far. I had a few sniffles yesterday but extremely mild to almost non-exisitant from most standards.

Back
Top Bottom