What did you do in the garden today?

Over the counter, behind the counter. It's advil cold and sinus.
I think I figured it out years ago that Advil was an NSAID, but forgot. It's the only thing that works. But I've gone cold turkey.
Still have anxiety issues, but NSAIDs push them over the top.
Yep @Wee Farmer Sarah - you nailed it! Good to know. Of course it's the one thing that helps you @WthrLady!

I think my "poltergeists" were a combo of toddlers and sleep-deprived adults...we misplaced a LOT of wallets/keys during the baby/toddler phase of parenting
Toddlers definitely qualify as paranormal creatures..... :gig The amount of things they can get into is amazing and unprecedented.... Defies gravity and science, for sure. :p

First iris of many to come has opened...

20210414_112322.jpg

Something was also rooting around the garden last night. I found several tires and flower pots that had dirt disturbed like a nose was rooting through it. The potential culprits - fox, coyote, or deer. I'll have to pick up a game cam and put it out there so I can see what it is. It didn't damage any seedlings this time but I don't want my harvest raided like last year...

omething was also rooting around the garden last night. I found several tires and flower pots that had dirt disturbed like a nose was rooting through it. The potential culprits - fox, coyote, or deer. I'll have to pick up a game cam and put it out there so I can see what it is. It didn't damage any seedlings this time but I don't want my harvest raided like last year...
It's the squirrels here. I watch them climb into my empty pots on the deck & dig & spray dirt all over the deck. They go into the garden looking for where they hid their acorns & knock over the onion starts all the time. :mad: I send the dog after them. :gig

I posted about my egg shell garden ideas in another garden post on this site, so check it out.
Oooo! I hope I find it... can you post a link, just in case I don't? That looks so cool!
which is why I ordered a different variety of sets from Gurneys, but I an sick of waiting on them.
Still waiting on my Red Baron onion sets. :he:mad::duc

Cold and dreary here. Gonna go collect eggs, make bread, and knit. I already took a nap.

Oh...and I've already dealing with two different battles in the garden.

1. Last year my Catawba grapes had bad powdery mildew and some kind of rust disease. Very typical with grapes, but I was new to it and had no idea what to do. I honestly thought my grapes died over the winter because they were in pretty bad shape when they lost all their leaves at fall. I wasn't sure if it was the fall weather or the disease that made the leaves fall. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when they started budding out a little less than a week ago. However, I quickly realized that the NEW foliage is already getting brown streaks on it. *sigh* Whatever diseases it had must have overwintered on the plant. So I did a little research and decided to start with a Bordeaux mixture which is essentially copper sulfate and hydrated lime mixed with water. It is also really good on other fruit trees (peach, apple, and plum in my case) as well as tomatoes, strawberries, and potatoes to control fungal diseases. I have all of those so I figured it would be useful. Mixed it up Tuesday night and put it out before the rain set in so it could dry. I didn't spray it on anything but the grapes and the Marshall strawberries (they had brown spots when I planted them after they arrived).

2. Which leads to the second battle - the strawberry tower. I have been dealing with the cholorosis which is causing iron deficiency due to the high pH. I knew strawberries needed slightly acidic soil but I figured my mixture would provide that range naturally without amendment. I was wrong.... So I immediately put Ammonium Sulfate in the soil and have been spraying Ironite on the foliage every few days. I also added some pelletized sulfur on Tuesday before the rain. It is definitely helping.... plants are starting to green up slowly. However, this morning I saw some suspicious brown streaks on some of the strawberry leaves. Not sure if it is from the other treatments (maybe I over-treated?) or if it is a fungal issue or virus. Might have to use the Bordeaux mix on those too.... But I don't want to overdo it.

Something was also rooting around the garden last night. I found several tires and flower pots that had dirt disturbed like a nose was rooting through it. The potential culprits - fox, coyote, or deer. I'll have to pick up a game cam and put it out there so I can see what it is. It didn't damage any seedlings this time but I don't want my harvest raided like last year...
My bet is armadillo. Squirrels make holes, but generally only two or three inches deep. More than that and you got a hillbilly speed bump rooting around.

I have never got around to setting up rain barrels. I really should though, because we get days of rain like this and then there could be a week or more of no rain. In mid-summer it still rains but not nearly is much. It could be 2 weeks without a drop sometimes. Raised beds need water from the hose in those cases, which could be coming from rain barrels.
I need to do the same. Have been thinking of it for awhile, just can't figure out the logistics- where to put it, how big to get, but am almost there.

Did find this
Once common leaf spot develops on strawberry plants, the plants cannot be cured. If the disease is detected early, its development may be slowed using fungicides. Keep in mind however, that common leaf spot is often merely a cosmetic issue and the use of fungicides may not be warranted.

Back
Top Bottom