What did you do in the garden today?

Anyone else shocked by the crap they are calling garden soil these days. Accidentally picked up a bag of it instead of potting soil and I think it’s 80% shredded bark. It looks like the stuff we used to buy as mulch!
What I fine is mostly peat moss, which is often some shredded wood debris product. It's fluffy, but it's acidic and devoid of nutritional value for plants. I just combine my own mix of peat moss, compost and top soil for a better product and it costs me less.

Anyone else shocked by the crap they are calling garden soil these days. Accidentally picked up a bag of it instead of potting soil and I think it’s 80% shredded bark. It looks like the stuff we used to buy as mulch!

Same. Grabbed a few bags because they were out of black kow, ugh, should have just driven to the other garden center.

What I fine is mostly peat moss, which is often some shredded wood debris product. It's fluffy, but it's acidic and devoid of nutritional value for plants. I just combine my own mix of peat moss, compost and top soil for a better product and it costs me less.

I do the same. I got tired of paying $$$ for the ridiculous amounts of soil I need. So instead, I paid $170 for a dump truck load of clean topsoil. Then I add my own compost and other amendments. I bought some peat moss, vermiculite, perlite, hydrated lime, and kaolin clay in bulk. I make my own mix depending on what I'm potting up. Saved myself so much money this way, even though the original purchases were a lot. It has lasted me 2 seasons and counting. I'm not even through half of it yet.

I use Canadian Peat Moss, Trudeau's old clothes. Live near the boarder, so it's cheap. As a filler and soil lightener.. Amazing thing.. I test the soil for PH.. always in the range of Neutral. Have nothing but oak trees and pine.. and chicken poo dirt from the run.. Unless every PH tester from chemical to electronic was made in China.. but 'WHO' WOOD know? That is what 'I do.'. and said that before with regrets. Recently those regrets were buried.. an was older by two years.

Last edited:
I’ve done the dirt dump for the past three years. Not going there again. I ordered 3 yards, they brought me 4. It took me forever stashing the dirt to clear my driveway. The expanding “garden soil” or potting mix I bought turned out to be coconut coir. Which is fine with me. I mixed it with bagged garden soil for the potatoes. I won’t buy Canadian peat moss because it is not sustainable. If you care for the land it will take care of you. Excuse me, I was involved in the environmental movement before the EPA was established.

I do the same. I got tired of paying $$$ for the ridiculous amounts of soil I need. So instead, I paid $170 for a dump truck load of clean topsoil. Then I add my own compost and other amendments. I bought some peat moss, vermiculite, perlite, hydrated lime, and kaolin clay in bulk. I make my own mix depending on what I'm potting up. Saved myself so much money this way, even though the original purchases were a lot. It has lasted me 2 seasons and counting. I'm not even through half of it yet.
You are a genius!!! :bow I have to level out some area to put up the pool. No one has playground sand, and you know the other stuff is too sharp. Paying for dirt stinks, but it works! :highfive:

Beware of clean top soil.. bought 7 yards once to fill blow sand.. of composted cow manure. $175 long, long ago.. Still question that.. could have been a stinker.. Last time I ordered 2.5 yards of composted pig excrements.. from someone somebody knew.. No longer need go to the auto parts store.. Just dig the raised beds.. Buyer Beware, it is your responsibility. That's the dirt, I make my own from my own.. Chicken Little Poo.. have too much.. Too much is better than not enough. Joe & Kamala

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom