What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Continuing with busy week. Pellet stove cleaning was yesterday. The guy does such a great job on the annual cleaning and the stove looks like new again. Today my contractor showed up for some minor repair work in the garage. I need to make my monthly trip to Trader Joes after he leaves. Since I'm getting such a late start I'll have to put off the trip to the feed store until tomorrow. Yesterday's total rainfall was over 1/2 inch. We only got 1/4 inch overnight last night with more pop up storms later today. Everything is doing well except one of the jalapenos is looking like it may be struggling with all the water. I did my final thinning on the curly kale this morning and picked a few chard leaves that were begging to be picked, some arugula, radishes and mini carrots I thinned out. Pretty good haul at over 1/2 pound of greens. I'm giving the romaine lettuce a few more days before I pick them all. We won't need to buy greens likely for the rest of the summer. There's another 8 foot row of chard coming up and that will last quite a while. The early bush / green beans I planted look like they developing buds. I do need to plant some more radishes and figure out where to plant more carrots and the bunching onions. Here's some pictures from yesterday and this morning. Have a nice day!

lavender.jpg

lavender
corn patch june 21.jpg

corn patch

lettuce and chard.jpg

Romaine, chard and arugula

kale, carrots and chard
kale, carrots and chard.jpg

Morning all. Man I can't tell you how much I would love an old craw foot tub! We have a tiny tub, not big enough to lay in.

I have only been out to cut the garlic scapes & some parsley for the beef bone broth I'm making. Bones are roasted & in the pot now, will simmer till tomorrow afternoon. I don't have any good containers for it so I may try ziplock bags, but I'm scared they'll leak before they freeze. I'll have to find a pan to freeze them in or something.

Got egg muffins in the oven baking for DH now. Will make some small meatballs for a version of italian wedding soup for lunches too.

I'm afraid to look at my peppers after all the rain yesterday, they were already on the edge.

Not much else going on here.

After spending a lot of time picking the million squash bugs off the zucchini and culling one dead bush, I relented from frustration and got some sevin dust. The tomatoes are pinking up and I will soon have loads of them to pick. I see a few tassels on the corn and some small yellow squash ( bug free). The cushaw did not make it so need to replant that.Taking a short break before starting the weed wacker. It is already 86 degrees with 64% humidity.

Went to Home Depot with my dad today to pick up some more catmint And lavender for our garden. I’m not much of an outdoor gardener, but I keep succulents and some other Indoor plants. Little life hack: Go to the succulent section of Home Depot or Lowe’s, find healthy leaves that have fallen off the plants, and take them home with you. Then after a week or two, they begin to grow roots and voila, you get a free baby plant!
Here’s my haul from the last 3 trips, I got the latest bunch today. I’ve probably got about 80 leaves here, and more than half of them I found already growing or have started to grow.
5A2D66A5-A59C-4A26-9364-20AED7718AF9.jpeg

Attachments

• DC9CE6C2-36B8-4514-B935-AA41C4CD39D3.jpeg
    DC9CE6C2-36B8-4514-B935-AA41C4CD39D3.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 5712AECD-E497-4811-98E1-3D967E760F25.jpeg
    5712AECD-E497-4811-98E1-3D967E760F25.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Who grows brussel sprouts? I need advice.
Mine are growing nicely. They have several layers of leaves and are starting to get a little height. No sprouts growing on the stalk just yet. However, I read I need to cut lower leaves to make room for the sprouts to develop. When do I cut them? How many leaves should I leave near the top?

Who grows brussel sprouts? I need advice.
Mine are growing nicely. They have several layers of leaves and are starting to get a little height. No sprouts growing on the stalk just yet. However, I read I need to cut lower leaves to make room for the sprouts to develop. When do I cut them? How many leaves should I leave near the top?
This will be my 3rd year growing BS. However, battling cabbage looper, so never any great success here. This year they are under insect netting. When I grew them in the fall of 2019, I did not remove any leaves and was getting sprouts. Tiny ones, though. Those 2019 plants were purchased as sprouts and planted in late Aug/Sept. they did not have enough time to grow large sprouts, but looked like they would have been fine if given a longer growing season, without removing leaves.

After spending a lot of time picking the million squash bugs off the zucchini and culling one dead bush, I relented from frustration and got some sevin dust. The tomatoes are pinking up and I will soon have loads of them to pick. I see a few tassels on the corn and some small yellow squash ( bug free). The cushaw did not make it so need to replant that.Taking a short break before starting the weed wacker. It is already 86 degrees with 64% humidity.
Its my understanding Sevin is very toxic

Back
Top Bottom