What did you do in the garden today?

My purple potato plant is beginning to bloom! Purple flowers to go with the purple stems! Variety is called "Blackberry".

View attachment 2720561

@BReeder! , have your purple majesty potatoes bloomed yet? Wonder what color flower it will have!
This is either a Purple Majesty or Mountain Rose potato flower. I planned them in the same raised row but keep forgetting which half of the row is which potato. However, after seeing yours I am being this is the Mountain Rose. I'll need to check if there are flowers on the other half of the row.
20210610_130750.jpg

Just watered today. I'm helping with contract negotiations, so busy with prep work with the group this morning through about 2 PM. Some things were a bit dry and wilty what I got home.
I saw wilting zucchini yesterday and watered. Then I saw wilting cucumbers today and watered. I'm watering deep too. We need rain here. I drove over a major river not far from our house yesterday evening and realized just how bad the drought is here when I seen how low the river is. We are supposed to get rain Friday, but I don't know exactly how much. I actually wouldn't mind a good thunderstorm.

After getting almost 15 inches of rain in the past month, it hasn't rained in 5 days. And no rain in the forecast until maybe early next week. I went ahead and watered the garden this morning. Some of my plants in my raised beds were looking a little peaked.

And I'm feeling pretty depressed about my blueberries. They were doing GREAT until we started getting all this rain. Suddenly they started going down hill....getting really chlorotic. I treated them with more sulphur and fertilizer. But I think in my rush to fix the problem, I burned the roots.... I've had one 2 yr old blueberry bush die on me. Two more have leaves that are turning brown and dying. Not sure what else to do.... 😭😭😭 I've been trying to grow blueberries for 2+ years now and I keep killing them. I've probably spent $300+ on blueberry plants. Do you know how many blueberries you can buy for that much money? Maybe I should just stop trying...
I've had 5 or 6 blueberry plants. They just don't seem to do well here. Never seem to get any bigger even after a few years! I do add sawdust to add acidity or whatever it is they like and I try to water them with only rain water like I read. But it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am now down to 1 blueberry plant and it isn't doing to great. I am wondering if I'm supposed to prune them or something to make them grow better. :confused: I didn't get any blueberries last year. The birds got the few that the plant produced. I'm not sure if it will even put out any blueberries this year. ☹️

Its winter here in Australia which means bare root fruit planting! I got another (potted) blueberry plant plus some more strawberries. To add to my collection I have added two varieties of raspberry, thornless blackberry and red currant which are currently soaking with the strawberries. Just read now apparently most dislike my sub-tropical climate but I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. Also got a few discounted plants which I'll add to my garden beds today.

I didn't go down to the garden today at all.... But I did get the luffa starts planted today and put up a cow panel trellis for them to grow on.

I got 2 Washington Hawthorns planted that have been sitting in a bucket for a month! Also had to replant my pussy willow because someone (horse or goat) pulled it out! I moved it to the other side of the pond. Hopefully it will be safer over there.
I got 10 "trees" from the Arbor Day foundation ( or something like that). They were all bare root trees (twigs really) and they arrived during winter so I heeled them in to the garden.
Only 3 of them survived. The 2 Washington Hawthorns and some kind of crab apple. I planted them all somewhere ( I don't actually remember where!) a week or 2 ago.

Its winter here in Australia which means bare root fruit planting! I got another (potted) blueberry plant plus some more strawberries. To add to my collection I have added two varieties of raspberry, thornless blackberry and red currant which are currently soaking with the strawberries. Just read now apparently most dislike my sub-tropical climate but I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. Also got a few discounted plants which I'll add to my garden beds today.
Planting in winter... hah! In winter here (Illinois, U.S.A.) there's no planting happening. The ground freezes solid up to 3ft deep. I would need heavy machinery to dig holes. LOL! Enjoy "winter" though. It's definitely not my favorite season, but then again it's m winter is a lot different for me.

Got the vinca planted today. Dug three holes, added some extra compost, and managed to put down mulch in roughly a flower bed shape around them. I watered twice today. Once this morning and once again this afternoon. We've not had any rain for four or five days now and it's desert enough around here that things can start to look a little wilty in the middle of the day even if you watered four hours ago.

I watched in great amusement as my dad planted a twig of a pecan tree that's probably not going to make it. No compost in the hole, no leaves on the tree... The roots were still alive, but I'll be very surprised if it survives. If it does, it will be in spite of him. :lau I don't really want a pecan tree there, so no loss to me. We also probably won't live here long enough to see it bear fruit if it does live.

Two of my three bare root raspberry plants put on green growth immediately. The third... eh. I'm not holding onto much hope, but the directions did say that the additional twig in the package may throw some shoots up to a month after being planted. We'll see. But the other two are doing great. I put them outside today, under the edge of the rv so they'll get a bit of morning sun but then shade from about 11 on. By this evening they were still looking fantastic. Quite promising. I hope they survive being transplanted, whenever that happens. Might have to rig some shade cloth for them this first summer, until their roots can get deep.

Still babying my seedlings and container garden as well.

Planting in winter... hah! In winter here (Illinois, U.S.A.) there's no planting happening. The ground freezes solid up to 3ft deep. I would need heavy machinery to dig holes. LOL! Enjoy "winter" though. It's definitely not my favorite season, but then again it's m winter is a lot different for me.
Wow! I guess my winter isnt really a "winter". 23C or 73.4F today. But we need mild winters, as soon as someone whispers Summer everything non native in the garden dies off

@NewBoots A Pure BR rooster should be light than the hens and very easy to tell apart.
I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. We have 8 (supposedly) pullets about 2 months old, 2 each of sapphire gem plymouth rock, barred rock, black australorp, and delaware. The barred rocks have the biggest combs but they both look pretty dark so I dunno. This morning is the first time I heard any crowing so sooner or later I'll catch the guilty party in the act. And I sure hope your little kitty makes it fine.

Back
Top Bottom