What did you do in the garden today?

Mowing the lawn lawn today. I'd rather be in sewing or writing, or being a lump, but rain and high heat and humidity rule the world for the next 5 days, so before I need a machete to get through it....the dog is complaining about the height. LOL.
Spotted a lovely deep velvet sunflower in the garden before sunset last night.
20210622_123923.jpg

@NewBoots - so I made a batch of the garlic oil & put it in the freezer. Going to test it out before I make a bunch more. It was a pain to peel the uncured garlic, I must say! It's 3 medium sized cloves. I saw where people would then take teaspoons of this on a cookie sheet & freeze them individually (eta: mines too thin for that). I'm hoping to be able to scoop it out of the jar instead.

IMG_20210623_091226290.jpg

Last edited:
👩‍🌾 With the above 68 temps we have had the garden is doing better, I have some cherry tomatoes I let go to seed LY and they are popping up all over. I moved about 8 of them to the greenhouse, Grandpa just loved them LY. The nasturtiums are finally blooming, and I think its time to pick some snap peas. The squash,, its coming along but not flowering yet, needs more heat.
IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1104.JPG

The reseeded Jalapenos are doing ok and the eggplant is very happy- I need to make an elderberry area still.
IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1103.JPG

Just started picking fresh strawberries from my new 4X4 foot raised bed strawberry patch! Very nice.

1624466967137.jpeg

Fun fact: So far, it has cost me about $1.25 per strawberry or $94 per pound.

I got 16 strawberry plants for $20 this year. They are the Seascape everbearing variety and I can expect to get about 3 pickings from them even this first year. It is nice just to go out to my new strawberry patch and pick fresh berries for dessert. Tonight I plan on making some strawberry chocolate milk shakes for Dear Wife and myself. That should be good.

finally getting back in the garden properly ,had a bad fall on the concrete patio a few weeks ago cut my elbow and damaged my hands .took a while for the swelling to go down,then a couple of weeks ago i fell in the bath ,felt such a fool trying to get out .I am getting so clumsy it,s scary .now i have tied the peas up and weeded around their patch ,feel better ,got lots more weeding to do .amazing how it gets away from you .I,ll water tonight we haven,t had much rain for a while. going to take all the crazy paving paths up in the autumn and grass them over ,i can walk better on grass .I,ll build raised beds with the paving ,just got to take it slowly .hope you all have a good day .
I carry sticks with me as I fall

finally getting back in the garden properly ,had a bad fall on the concrete patio a few weeks ago cut my elbow and damaged my hands .took a while for the swelling to go down,then a couple of weeks ago i fell in the bath ,felt such a fool trying to get out .

Sorry to hear about your falls. I don't know your age or your physical condition, but as an RN, let me say that bathtubs can be one of the most dangerous places for elderly in the house. If you suffer from falls, I would suggest replacing that bathtub with a walk in shower if you can afford it. Sometimes local counties have money to help people with special needs. I had a family member who was handicapped and the county replaced his bathtub with a walk in shower for his safety. It really made a difference.

In any case, please don't consider yourself a fool for falling in the bathtub as you try to get out. That is way more common than you might imagine.

Also, just remembered, when my parents got older and could no longer safely get in and out of the bathtub by themselves, I got them a sliding chair which fits over the bathtub. They could simply sit down on the seat and slide themselves into the bathtub stall for a shower. I also replaced the fixed showerhead with a handheld removable showerhead with an extra long hose. Also, bought a very good non slip mat for the bottom of the bathtub. This added a few years of independence for my father before I had to help him with his showers. Even then we got a few more years of service out of that equipment as we had to help our parents take a shower.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to keep yourself safe from falls and can continue to garden and post to the forum. Sending you some well wishes and healing thoughts.

finally getting back in the garden properly ,had a bad fall on the concrete patio a few weeks ago cut my elbow and damaged my hands .took a while for the swelling to go down,then a couple of weeks ago i fell in the bath ,felt such a fool trying to get out .I am getting so clumsy it,s scary .now i have tied the peas up and weeded around their patch ,feel better ,got lots more weeding to do .amazing how it gets away from you .I,ll water tonight we haven,t had much rain for a while. going to take all the crazy paving paths up in the autumn and grass them over ,i can walk better on grass .I,ll build raised beds with the paving ,just got to take it slowly .hope you all have a good day .
I had a year of falls a few yrs ago. Broken ribs, concussion, bruised and sore, broken glasses, cut above eye…. Yep. I learned why old people move slowly. Since then, have not fallen, so yay.

garden update!

Colorado potato beetle: found one more egg clump. No more beetles found in the last 24 hours. Yes, I’m being vigilant. I hope it’s enough to keep any eggs from hatching, or any beetles from laying any more.

potatoes: Never seen so many flowers being produced!! The Carola produced a pretty heavy load of flowers…now those are falling off, but more fresh clusters are growing! The other two are also putting on the beginnings of flower clusters. The Russett Burbank has produced one seed ball.

Here is the seed ball, just beginning to grow.
D440CDE2-9EE7-416D-99AD-75C3628B36C9.jpeg

And we have one eggplant growing! My first eggplant! It is “Ichiban” variety. So, a slimmer Japanese type.
D60E1962-682C-4029-A3A1-94D5650B3C27.jpeg

Trimmed out the bottom leaves from the tomatoes. They are pretty big, so I wanted to provide more air flow underneath. Plus, rain coming for several days, so no need to have plants that can’t dry off quickly.

overcast and cool today. Supposed to warm up. Will see if the sun comes out. Now off to mow the back half of the yard!

STarting to harvest okna almost daily now. Have a jerusalem artichoke that should be getting ready to start toobin out here soon. Getting ready to harvest some potato's soon im hoping. I put them in compost from the zoo and am hoping that the stupid insane huge growth actually has spuds too and not just nitrogen generated leaves. We may see in a few weeks.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom