What did you do in the garden today?

Thank you @igorsMistress and @Iluveggers for the pictures, they feed my soul!

And, with the help of one of the barn cats and Penny, I caught the last stray bunny!
Just figured out why BYC wouldn't upload some of my photos. The phone was set to a crazy high resolution, too high to post. I'll knock them down some and get stuff back online.

Has anyone had experience growing goldenberries AKA gooseberries? We bought some of them at the grocery store, and as an experiment I put some in a paper towel to see if they would grow. Now, over a month later, they started growing! So I just planted them today. But just wondering if anyone else has grown them? When we saw them at the grocery store that was the first time I’d heard of them.
I just bought a couple plants last year. They're very thorny, supposed to be extremely hardy, apparently produce best when pruned regularly, and should not be allowed to fruit the first year they make buds (which should be year two, dependent on variety). I also remember reading that growing them from seed is a little unpredictable, as some varieties are hybrids of two other varieties and may not breed true.

Mine are doing very well in the raspberry patch, with moist soil and partial shade. They are not supposed to like hot weather, but our temps have been in the nineties recently and they don't seem overly bothered. The Hinnomaki Red has doubled in size since last year, and the Invicta is still thinking about it.

Jostaberries are a hybrid of gooseberries and blackcurrant. I have a couple of those as well. They're supposed to be just as disease resistant, but thornless.

I loved that series. It was so good hearted.

Oh and I rigged the coop so the littles could go underneath and still be see but no touch with the ladies. The littles figured it all out really quickly and seemed to have no problem finding their way back up the ramp to their regular quarters where their food, water, and mama heat plate are.

Since I shouldn't have to catch bunnies all day tomorrow, I should get more done in the garden.

Has anyone had experience growing goldenberries AKA gooseberries? We bought some of them at the grocery store, and as an experiment I put some in a paper towel to see if they would grow. Now, over a month later, they started growing! So I just planted them today. But just wondering if anyone else has grown them? When we saw them at the grocery store that was the first time I’d heard of them.
I have 4 growing at my allotment that I planted 2 years ago, all are doing great, I've given them hardly any maintenance at all so far, from my experience you can pretty much just leave them to it (I'm not sure about when the plants get much older though, they may need pruning then, I'll wait and see how they look)

I just bought a couple plants last year. They're very thorny, supposed to be extremely hardy, apparently produce best when pruned regularly, and should not be allowed to fruit the first year they make buds (which should be year two, dependent on variety). I also remember reading that growing them from seed is a little unpredictable, as some varieties are hybrids of two other varieties and may not breed true.

Mine are doing very well in the raspberry patch, with moist soil and partial shade. They are not supposed to like hot weather, but our temps have been in the nineties recently and they don't seem overly bothered. The Hinnomaki Red has doubled in size since last year, and the Invicta is still thinking about it.

Jostaberries are a hybrid of gooseberries and blackcurrant. I have a couple of those as well. They're supposed to be just as disease resistant, but thornless.
I bought a couple of jostaberry plants last year, I haven't planted them out yet, I potted on shortly after getting them and they have just recently shot up over the past few months. Hoping they will make a nice hedge at one end of one of my allotment plots. Have you had any fruit off of yours yet? Are they nice?

Back
Top Bottom