What did you do in the garden today?

I'm waiting for it to hit 53 degrees. Then I'm going out to uncover the crates that have the starts in them. 47 last night, so probably the chilliest night the little plants have had in a while.

I planted a couple rows of onion sets and partnered them with beets, broccoli, and broccolini. None of the beets or broccoli have sprouted, and only one or two of the broccolini. I have enough seeds to replant, but hey! what gives here?

It's my first try at any of those, so is there a trick to getting them to do their thing? The onions are doing great.

I'm waiting for it to hit 53 degrees. Then I'm going out to uncover the crates that have the starts in them. 47 last night, so probably the chilliest night the little plants have had in a while.

I planted a couple rows of onion sets and partnered them with beets, broccoli, and broccolini. None of the beets or broccoli have sprouted, and only one or two of the broccolini. I have enough seeds to replant, but hey! what gives here?

It's my first try at any of those, so is there a trick to getting them to do their thing? The onions are doing great.
How long since you planted the seeds? Iā€™ve never planted broccoli or broccolini, but beets are usually fairly quick to sprout. I have had bum beet seeds that didnā€™t sprout, but they were from a small/cheap source.

How long since you planted the seeds? Iā€™ve never planted broccoli or broccolini, but beets are usually fairly quick to sprout. I have had bum beet seeds that didnā€™t sprout, but they were from a small/cheap source.
3 weeks. I would have guess they'd sprout by now.

I'm going to dig a few up to see if anything's going on. If not, I'll replant. These seeds were from a good source that I order from yearly, Baker Creek.

3 weeks. I would have guess they'd sprout by now.

I'm going to dig a few up to see if anything's going on. If not, I'll replant. These seeds were from a good source that I order from yearly, Baker Creek.
Hmmā€¦ yes, beets donā€™t take 3 weeks to sprout! Agree, check it out, and replant if needed.

Morning all. Nice & chilly out there today!

I walk thru my garden twice a day, at least! I'm a little anxious to go away this weekend. How will the vines find the trellis? Will the lettuce bolt? How will anything survive without me?? :barnie :gig

I need to pull some lettuce, way too overcrowded in the bed. The chickens will be happy. I need to re seed some beans that didn't survive the heat. I need to make a cover for the blueberries.

I am so excited, I have my appt with the spine surgeon today & will find out about surgery.

Last edited:
Rain is holding off for about another hour or so, so I let the whiny alpacas out of the barn and into the corral. Now they're whining that they can't get into the pasture. I can't win. Shearing team isn't coming until Thursday it turns out, but 1.5 inches of rain today/tonight/and into tomorrow morning will still have them soaked, so I'll herd them back into the barn before the rain starts. They won't be happy, but after they're naked, they can sleep in the rain all day if they want.

Greenhouses are watered. I need to feed the potatoes some bone or blood meal to keep them happy. I figured out how to hang my shade cloth in the greehouse like a Roman shade. So I might work on that later this week

Back
Top Bottom