What did you do in the garden today?

Yes, sort of. Basically my excess power gets sent to the grid where they keep an accounting of how much power I'm sending them. If it's a cloudy day and I need power from the grid, it pulls from that tally first before I get charged. Essentially that offset needs to be depleted before I am charged for power like my conventional system. However I also have a propane powered generator backup for cases where the panels can't make enough AND the grid is down.

As silly as it may sound, my biggest concern is keeping the freezers working so stockpiled food isn't wasted by rolling blackouts. Second to that is the ability to reduce dependency on the grid.

I will be getting battery backups but not until the next generation batteries are available. They are cheaper, more efficient, and are expected to last 3x as long.
My husband and I literally had this conversation today. He's found a guy to talk to, hopefully tomorrow.

Yeah, the current batteries are $10k each, can only run a few items and only last 7 yrs. I'd need at least 3 for basic necessities. That's an extra $30k! The next generation batteries are half the cost, more efficient, and expected to last 30 yrs but won't be available for 3 yrs yet. A generator backup costs $11k and can support the entire load, if needed.

I guess you are talking about tesla batteries.

I bought a petrol generator (6KV) for 1500 eur and it can support the entire load (household).

my zucchini plant is ok, the leaves are ok but a few fruits get the size of an inch then strarts to dry. my plants are young and started to produce fruits too fast. maybe their roots cannot support the fruits?
Are they getting plenty of water? Have you checked them for bugs?

We aren't touching solar. This is BIG hail country. Our hail has to have separate insurance policies and deductables. We're leaning towards a turbine, but first, new doors, new garage doors, and a hand pump well. $$$$$$$$
They warranty the panels up to golf ball sized hail, but I understand where you are coming from.... Personally, I'd rather have two forms of backup for power generation. Since I don't have year-round moving water on my property, that rules out hydro power so the only other option is wind. I went to college for electrical engineering and physics. My senior research project was a band-gap engineering to improve the efficiency of semiconductors & batteries through other materials. 😂 i.e. I know all too well how $.i.**y and inefficient solar really is due to the current engineering, although it is getting better.

Some niceties they are throwing in with the deal - they will give me all new LED lightbulbs in the house (already have them but hey...I'll take free lightbulbs) and they are going to recaulk inside and outside all my doors and windows. Again, something I could do myself but if they are going to do it for me....go for it! They also offered me a free Google Nest thermostat and I said NO WAY! I work in cybersecurity. That thing isn't coming anywhere NEAR my house.

My husband and I literally had this conversation today. He's found a guy to talk to, hopefully tomorrow.
I'm really happy that that people doing ours are local. Literally the next town over. The only thing I am a little unhappy about is that the panels are Chinese panels, although manufactured in the US. While that is somewhat better, it still concerns me that the Chinese are behind the engineering of the panels. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.... I suppose at the end of the day, nothing is immune to an EMP.

Back
Top Bottom