What did you do in the garden today?

I had a low blood sugar of 53 yesterday
:eek: WOW! How were you able to stay standing?

I have a good blood sugar level, according to every test I've ever had. (I go again in a week.) But man, oh man, sometimes it crashes and I feel like crap. Or maybe something else is going on, but eating always cures the issue. No, never had a way to test it when it happens.

I have a good blood sugar level, according to every test I've ever had. (I go again in a week.) But man, oh man, sometimes it crashes and I feel like crap. Or maybe something else is going on, but eating always cures the issue. No, never had a way to test it when it happens.
:goodpost: This. In May I had this problem worse than I ever had. It's resolved itself now. I mentioned it to doc and he said, that's called 'getting hungry'. UM no. (I rarely feel hungry anyway.) This was, I was eating like every 3 hours, something, anything, to keep from feeling spacey and loopy, and wobbly. But it was all good withing 15-30 minutes of eating. Humans are weird.

Well, of the 80 varieties I planted this year, Tigerella ripened first other than my volunteer tomatoes. So maybe that would be worth trying?

Early tomatoes: look for ones marketed to northern gardeners or for the early production.

“glacier” is one I have grown, tasty, and as the name suggests, marketed towards northern, short season places.

“bloody butcher” sold by a farm store hear bc customers demand it. Apparently early type. It’s my first year growing this one.

“Early girl”. My neighbor loves this one. As suggested, it ripens early.

All three above are a slicer type tomato.

Many Cherry/grape types are in the early side too.

In my experience (I grew them last year) Early Girl is very much a store-type tomato. They produce a lot and store very well, but the flavor is sub-par (admittedly with heavy rain, which can dilute flavor, but the other tomatoes I grew tasted a lot better). I decided not to grow them this year. EDT: They're a very uniform shape and size. Very pretty tomatoes.

Rutgers tomatoes (which aren't on your list) are a smaller slicing tomato, but very prolific, fairly early, and the flavor is decent.

I think I'll try Glacier next year.

Absolutely!!! Now u got me rethinking putting mine up!

A few years ago I came home with an Early Girl (which I had gone to the nursery for) and one with just a stick labeled "Taxi". Not sure how that got on the cart. It had yellow tomatoes before the Early Girl. I would buy it again but haven't seen it! Looking online it is claimed to be an 80 day tomato though that didn't seem to be the case, maybe they mean from seed.

I don't usually have an edible full size tomato until the end of July or later and that is with plants set out the end of May. The Sungold cherries come in earlier.
The only one of these I've tried is early girl...made a list and excited to see if any of these work for me.
Hey I got to thinkin as I was harvesting herbs last night for dinner...could this be rosemary yall instead of sage like I was thinking?
I know I had an awful time getting lavender to sprout and I reseeded several times. And I believe I might have done the same with rosemary lol?
That does look like rosemary❤️
Ok so here's a few pics of MY garden....not the YT peoples in case anybody wondered lol
One lonely little sweetheart from seed!!! My "people" ain't holding em up very well lol. They need an extra pair of hands!
That's a good looking garden...I love your little people poles!
View attachment 3161548

Making my list for all the garden improvements for next year...

1. Vertical squash
2. Shade cloth
3. Soaker hoses
Same here:
1. Vertical squash
2. Shade cloth
3. New tomato varieties
4. Prune tomatoes... especially those lower leaves for air flow!

For now:
1. Re-read about growing blueberries and tomatoes in the desert
2. Soil test blueberries and look to buy new plants since I don't know what I have anymore.
3. Re-arrange garden so all the heat stressed plants get morning sun and afternoon shade.

You guys make me antsy to garden again.

I started zucchinis outside, no chemicals here. they sprouted within a few days, grow like weeds and their fruits dry up. never happened before.

It sounds like pollination issues.
Ok so here's a few pics of MY garden....not the YT peoples in case anybody wondered lol
One lonely little sweetheart from seed!!! My "people" ain't holding em up very well lol. They need an extra pair of hands!

Love it!!! The little people sticks are so cute!

More info about Egyptian Walking Onions, with some pictures.

I needed onions for a recipe, and have used all the "regular" onions from last year, so I dug 4 clumps of EWOs. I took the kitchen shears out with me, so I could cut off the roots and parts I didn't need. (I don't need any green onions atm, and they don't keep as well. Plus, I can have fresh any time.)

The 4 clumps were chosen by these criteria: Are they big, and are they in a crowded spot? By big, I look at the stem coming out of that particular onion. The bigger the stem, the bigger the onion.

IMG_2516.JPG

The 2 bottom ones are big, for EWOs. The one above it is on the smaller side. You lose some of the size when you take off the outer layers to clean them up.

IMG_2517.JPG

About the topsets... sometimes they will grow another topset. That's what this one did, and instead of bulbils, it looks like it's trying to flower. (Some of the topsets will do that; never tried to save seed from these.)

IMG_2513.JPG

Close up of the flower.

IMG_E2514.JPG

When you try to slice them like you would a regular onion, the layers tend to separate, as they aren't very thick. I slice them about 3/16-1/4" and call that good. With the bigger bulbs, you can sometimes see that it's trying to form a new bulb. That's how the clumps grow more onions. So the individual bulbs won't get much bigger than the big ones I had in the picture. They will then split and form another bulb.

Took some Moringa tree seedlings outside to the new fenced garden area and took what looks like tiny tomato green worms off some of them to the chickens. The worms totally defoliated a couple of the Moringa but I see another like that has started to sprout new leaves from soil level so will see what happens. NOTE: these worms haven't touched any of the (probably) hundred tomatoes in the greenhouse with them.

Interesting, my Moringas never seems to be too bothered by pests. I sure hope I don't see those little buggers! I like my low maintenance plants, lol.

More info about Egyptian Walking Onions, with some pictures.

I needed onions for a recipe, and have used all the "regular" onions from last year, so I dug 4 clumps of EWOs. I took the kitchen shears out with me, so I could cut off the roots and parts I didn't need. (I don't need any green onions atm, and they don't keep as well. Plus, I can have fresh any time.)

The 4 clumps were chosen by these criteria: Are they big, and are they in a crowded spot? By big, I look at the stem coming out of that particular onion. The bigger the stem, the bigger the onion.

View attachment 3161669

The 2 bottom ones are big, for EWOs. The one above it is on the smaller side. You lose some of the size when you take off the outer layers to clean them up.

View attachment 3161672

About the topsets... sometimes they will grow another topset. That's what this one did, and instead of bulbils, it looks like it's trying to flower. (Some of the topsets will do that; never tried to save seed from these.)

View attachment 3161679

Close up of the flower.

View attachment 3161681

When you try to slice them like you would a regular onion, the layers tend to separate, as they aren't very thick. I slice them about 3/16-1/4" and call that good. With the bigger bulbs, you can sometimes see that it's trying to form a new bulb. That's how the clumps grow more onions. So the individual bulbs won't get much bigger than the big ones I had in the picture. They will then split and form another bulb.

Yum! I love my Egyptian walking onions! They're another set it and forget it crop for me!

Sounds like hypoglycemia. My daughter gets that.... She is not diabetic but Type 2 diabetes does run on both sides of the family. Her blood sugar is always good whenever they test it which is never when she is feeling sick and wonky.

Back
Top Bottom