What did you do in the garden today?

The girls are out! They were sheepish at first but after 5-7 minutes they went out into the run. We will need to overcome some challenges with the dog, but for the most part they seem very comfortable. A cover will need to go on and I’ll picket the run if the dog doesn’t settle down. He courses the run as his prey drive is high. The chickens seem relaxed but if one has a ‘zoomie’ moment, he acts a predator and it freaks the chickens out. I don’t want a worked up dog or worked up chickens, so we will see how it works out.

Have a good evening!
Good luck with your dog and the chickens. We have 2 lab/Rottweiler mixes. One of them has a VERY strong predator drive. She has killed many of our chickens {her sister has too, but not as many}. We finally had to buy an invisible fence type set up. That has been successful in keeping both dogs from breeching the double gate/fence and attacking the chickens. So keep that solution in mind.

35533DD1-8B79-4414-AD50-2B9220A02329.jpeg
My volunteer plant looks to be a cantaloupe!
65C7EC4C-7496-4F52-947D-14E601F99459.jpeg
First time growing Nasturtium and from seed. I’ve added some of the leaves to my salads but really couldn’t tell a difference.
D9D637D6-0268-4B13-9BA4-19B59A1DC2CA.jpeg
Beets, radish , bok choy ( it bolted while we were out of town, but still good to eat). The bok choy is all gone as well as the radishes ( most of them bolted too). I still have a few beets growing.
To the left of this picture is the onion patch. It’s doing great!! I haven’t been very successful at growing onions in the past so this year I decided to give them their own space. It definitely did the trick!
38CF36D2-BEAB-452C-8B7B-E4492E6968E2.jpeg
These are among the first 12 that I’ve harvested. Used in yesterday when I made fajitas!

To water or not to water tomorrow. Supposed to rain tomorrow but less than half an inch. If I DON'T water, it probably won't rain so I guess I'll get my happy butt up at 6 AM so I can do it... Plus I got home too late to put the JB traps up. Gotta find a good place that's 30 ft from my grapes.... Hmm...🤔
I have clay here. So my thought is if I don't water and wet the surface some, the rain will just flood and run off before soaking in. Only when its been dry more then a week or 2 though. You guys probably see that far more often then I do in NY

To water or not to water tomorrow. Supposed to rain tomorrow but less than half an inch. If I DON'T water, it probably won't rain so I guess I'll get my happy butt up at 6 AM so I can do it... Plus I got home too late to put the JB traps up. Gotta find a good place that's 30 ft from my grapes.... Hmm...🤔
Hey let me know if ya got any rain and bout how much! Weather usually works it's way from you to me over here lol!
growing onions
NICE! We're they sticking up above the ground and that's how u knew they were ready?! My first time growin em and not sure when to harvest!

Back
Top Bottom