What did you do in the garden today?

@Acre4Me - got the rutabaga covered! :yesss:

I was thinking I could maybe try broccoli & cauli next year under cover then y'all talked about squishing bugs on that cabbage & I changed my mind. :gig
I put cabbage and Brussel sprouts under the netting last year-not a single cabbage moth or looper in there (well, not until late in the season when one must have gotten in when I harvested some cabbage or weeded). So, it worked well!

I just dusted all the squash and cabbage plants with permethrin powder. Hopefully that will help keep bugs away. I had sprayed everything with neem oil earlier this week but I only mixed it 3 Tbs in a gallon jug of water. Might have to up the dosage next time…
Bt spray. Caterpillar spray (sometimes that’s what Bt is called on the bottle). Squish them. Do not plant any brassicas there next year bc if you cover them next year, the moths will hatch inside the netting as they overwinter in the dirt. So, all brassicas go into another bed or area next year.

I just dusted all the squash and cabbage plants with permethrin powder. Hopefully that will help keep bugs away. I had sprayed everything with neem oil earlier this week but I only mixed it 3 Tbs in a gallon jug of water. Might have to up the dosage next time…
We've been advised to mix 10 parts water / 1 part neem. 3 Tbs in a gallon seems a lot lighter than that. Not noticed any problems with 10 / 1.

Rhubarb update: I think they like their new home so far! Lots of growth in 1 month!
Left pic: May 25 Right pic: June 25

We added some strawberry plants (mostly alpine type)

There are 3 types of Rhubarb: the upper and lower left side ones are "Vistoria" widely available. The bottom right is "Crimson Red" - supposed to be a very red variety, and is also pretty easy to find mostly through catalogues. The upper right one is "Kanga-Rhu" which is from Gurneys and is able to tolerate heat up through zone 8 (I think), and hails from Australia, so I put it in what I would think is the hottest quadrant. It comes with a statement that propagation is not allowed.
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 7.44.39 PM.png

Hmmm... Clearly the compost is super charged.
Left pic are volunteer toms and mostly tomatillos in the compost pile/ Right pic are the planted in the garden tomatillos - there are 4 tomatillos in the pic, and there are 2 varieties (which seem tp be growing a little differently).
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 7.48.19 PM.png

Rhubarb update: I think they like their new home so far! Lots of growth in 1 month!
Left pic: May 25 Right pic: June 25

We added some strawberry plants (mostly alpine type)

There are 3 types of Rhubarb: the upper and lower left side ones are "Vistoria" widely available. The bottom right is "Crimson Red" - supposed to be a very red variety, and is also pretty easy to find mostly through catalogues. The upper right one is "Kanga-Rhu" which is from Gurneys and is able to tolerate heat up through zone 8 (I think), and hails from Australia, so I put it in what I would think is the hottest quadrant. It comes with a statement that propagation is not allowed.
View attachment 3163305

Hmmm... Clearly the compost is super charged.
Left pic are volunteer toms and mostly tomatillos in the compost pile/ Right pic are the planted in the garden tomatillos - there are 4 tomatillos in the pic, and there are 2 varieties (which seem tp be growing a little differently).
View attachment 3163307

My volunteers always do way better!

Baba ghanoush is made with roasted eggplant. Super good!
Only way DH will eat eggplant. We love that stuff!
I was picking off like 1 or 2 Japanese beetles per day from my Catawba grapes. Yesterday I picked off over a dozen! Putting out some traps when I get home tomorrow.
Yup, it's about time to go JB hunting here too. I give them to the chickens. They know what it means when I call, "Bug snack!"

Today's watermelon! Less seeds than the last one. I think it's going to be a few days before another one is ready. Watermelons are so slow! These Black Diamond watermelon have been incredible producers though. There must be another 15 growing just on the Black Diamond variety. I have a Carolina Cross too, fingers crossed it grows to be a giant! 💕 They can grow up to 200lbs! 🍉

IMG_20220625_184105356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom