What did you do in the garden today?

I've now frozen (batch homogenized with the stick blender and poured into silicone muffin cups) 3 dozen because I'm not selling as many as the girls are putting out. Usually I do this in the fall when I cut off the customers before the girls moult and quit laying for the fall/winter.

YUCKY!!!!!!

I got a half dozen good size butternut squash from the plants that showed up in the compost pile last year. I wasn't sure if they would be usable since they had a late start but all those that turned even a little bit tan "ripened" in the house after frost killed the plants.

Do you have only Sungolds? If you have other varieties as well those plants are likely a hybrid. It will be interesting to see what you get!
Interesting fact on tomato pollination . Most self pollinate due to the pistil never growing past the anthers . However some varieties do grow past the anthers . I have tried to cross tomato varieties without success . However I have had accidental crosses occur .

What does everyone do with excess garlic scapes? I cut the rest of them this afternoon, and have 3 gallon bags chillin in the fridge right now. Not sure if I want to try pickleing again. Did not like the batch last year.
Also. Rhubarb. :woot
Snapchat-821509668.jpg

Starting my battle with the Asian beetles (Japanese beetles). I thought I may have looked out this year, but not so much. Deer came through and ate all of the blooms off of the roses which gave me a false sense of security. I hate to use 7 dust, but I am not aware of anything that stops them. I know I can treat the area with a bio dust that kills the grubs, but that only stops them in my yard not in the neighbors. Any suggestions? They tear up my fruit trees and various plants worse than the deer.

I always make chunky salsa where it's hand chopped, like a spicy pico de gallo basically...well today I used my new blender because I was tired and wanted to can a big batch...it's so...pink. 😅 I used all of the same fresh garden ingredients that I always do. Haha, I think maybe my new blender is too powerful, lol. Chunky salsa is better but somebody is eating this salsa because that was a lot of ingredients. 😏 My in-laws are arriving for a visit tonight. Maybe they will like it. LOL

IMG_20220626_143455423.jpg

Back
Top Bottom