What did you do in the garden today?

Scapes: I have cut them into into 1" long pieces and frozen them for stir fries in the winter. If the scapes get too big and tough, I use them when I make bone broth.

I recently watched someone on YouTube flavoring her vinegar with garlic scapes. She said it makes a good salad dressing base.

We mostly grow soft neck garlic here in the south so I don't get scapes.

Well it still hasn't rained but dark clouds have finally rolled in. Temperature dropped at least 10 degrees into the lower 90s so I went out and watered the garden finally.

I noticed my potatoes are trying hard to battle back from near death. They are sprouting new leaves from nodes where the old stems died. I'd spray them to help them along but I'm not sure what is killing them - pest, disease, or both maybe. I put a bunch of new dirt and compost on them since I had potatoes popping out of the ground. That was maybe 4 days ago? When I watered tonight I noticed the potatoes are now just under the new soil and will be popping through it again within the next few days. Gonna have to add some more soil again. That and the new buds are the only things keeping me from harvesting them early.

Of all the tomato varieties I planted this year, I am most excited to see how my Sart Roloise does... So far I'm very disappointed. I have 2 of them planted and both are really struggling. They don't want to bush out at all. They are barely flowering. There's maybe only 1 or 2 fruit on each one and the leaf curl has gotten so bad I'm surprised they are still alive. I'm thinking about trying to start one in a 5 gallon bucket in partial shade and see how it goes.

I always make chunky salsa where it's hand chopped
Definitely the best!!!

If I buy "salsa" it is always fresh and refrigerated pico de gallo, none of that cooked and processed stuff. Easy to make at home during tomato and cilantro (equally important ingredient!!) season. Usually have to buy onions because here they aren't ready until the tomatoes have passed though I guess I could use scallions ... if they had come up :( .

Well caught another critter red handed...well I didn't "catch" em per se...but atleast I know what one of em is
a ferrell cat​
Would they just dig to be digging or would they be trying to eat any and everything? I did bone meal this morning in the garden this morning. Could that have attracted it?
I've never seen one up in the garden before but it was.
And my rooster didn't crow! He crows at himself and any and nothing but not a ferrell cat!
I'm quickly coming to dispise cats...mine just peed on my clean rug right in front of me! Ughghgh

The disc mower was its normal PIA to load. DH walked into the grass guide and got a black eye. The pole I was using for leverage to adjust the back arm of the tractor slipped and I smashed my hand, split it open, and got a huge bubble of ick under the skin plus a bruise. Parked the tractor at the end of the job and have a shredded front tire, so it's a race to find a new one fast so I can turn, windrow and bale. I am sunburned like mad and found half a grasshopper in my bra.
So, how was YOUR day? :lau

The disc mower was its normal PIA to load. DH walked into the grass guide and got a black eye. The pole I was using for leverage to adjust the back arm of the tractor slipped and I smashed my hand, split it open, and got a huge bubble of ick under the skin plus a bruise. Parked the tractor at the end of the job and have a shredded front tire, so it's a race to find a new one fast so I can turn, windrow and bale. I am sunburned like mad and found half a grasshopper in my bra.
Ouch, ouch, aargh, and ewww!

Better than yours 92 here.:idunno

Back
Top Bottom