What did you do in the garden today?

Our grass even looks brown and crunchy here. I was about to go outside and water the garden but I just checked the forecast...maybe I should just wait. šŸ˜³

View attachment 3165871
I'm jealous.... We MIGHT get some sprinkles next weekend....but that's what they said about THIS past weekend and we didn't get a drop.

I FINALLY got my rosemary planted after around 5 weeks or more! Hoping the "cool" weather this week as well as the potential rain this weekend will help it get established. (Pretty sad when upper 80s is considered "cool"!)

I also got the area behind the fence weeded. Putting rocks back there is paying back in spades! It not only keeps the weeds down but also allows me to tend the raised beds from both sides of the fence. From the back side of the fence, I caught and squished about half dozen Japanese beetles from my Catawba grapes. I also put up another JB trap on the neighbors property (it's a medical clinic). Now I have traps on both sides (upwind and downwind) from the grapes since the wind tends to come from multiple places. The first trap I put up has a few beetles in it so it appears to be working! šŸ˜Š

Lastly, I did put together a 5 gallon, self-watering bucket and seeded more Sart Roloise tomatoes in it. I brought it up by the house where there is bright, indirect sunlight but it is shaded from the worst of the heat & sun's rays. These tomatoes need 85-90 days for harvest according to the packet so if this works I won't expect any fruit until the end of September sometime. šŸ¤ž

I weeded, for 3 hours. THREE HOURS. Itā€™s been either raining or super hot the last few days, & Iā€™ve been distracted with new chicks. Plus DH put up the new garden fence and the fencing went into the grass a bit, so I went along the edges and removed what I could.

Tomorrow I would like to plant nasturtium and zinnias. Peas are almost ready, and I have what feels like hundreds of very green tomatoesā€¦I am anxiously awaiting the first red one!

OH! I nearly forgot to mention my victory! I've been trying for 2 years to successfully grow a pineapple plant from a top cut from a store-bought fruit. Every time it's failed... Til now!
yahoo_zpsb6e7a199.gif

I have 2 tops I've been cultivating for months now... One of them FINALLY put off 3 pups!!! I'm so happy! I'll need to repot it into a bigger container very soon. Not sure yet on the 2nd one but it doesn't look promising.

I weeded, for 3 hours. THREE HOURS. Itā€™s been either raining or super hot the last few days, & Iā€™ve been distracted with new chicks. Plus DH put up the new garden fence and the fencing went into the grass a bit, so I went along the edges and removed what I could.

Tomorrow I would like to plant nasturtium and zinnias. Peas are almost ready, and I have what feels like hundreds of very green tomatoesā€¦I am anxiously awaiting the first red one!

That's a lot of weeding! I wouldn't survive for three hours in our heat. šŸ˜…

OH! I nearly forgot to mention my victory! I've been trying for 2 years to successfully grow a pineapple plant from a top cut from a store-bought fruit. Every time it's failed... Til now! View attachment 3166119

I have 2 tops I've been cultivating for months now... One of them FINALLY put off 3 pups!!! I'm so happy! I'll need to repot it into a bigger container very soon. Not sure yet on the 2nd one but it doesn't look promising.

So fun! My goal is to get some avocado trees to survive here, lol. One day I WILL be successful. We eat so many avocados, lol. I have one that is started in a pot outside, 5 wrapped in paper towels, and 1 in a floaty, lol.

IMG_20220627_223127568.jpg

Potato plants in containers....one is practically dried up. I'm guessing due to this insane heat and No rain. I've been watering em regularly but this particularly plant is lookin worse by the day.
I haven't seen any blooms. So does that mean it is dead? It is in with a couple other potato plants as well but they are still healthy looking.
Suggestions as to if I should leave it, pull it or what?

Howdy all.
I managed to track down a tire and the shop had it mounted by 330pm. I was home by 430, and on the tractor again by 7 (laundry, chores, and dinner came first.)
Everything is now in windrows.
We've had an extremely dry airmass for two days and tomorrow. The hay is almost ready already! I should be baling Wednesday early. We dropped to 46 last night. Not sure the tomatoes appreciated it, but they look ok.

Potato plants in containers....one is practically dried up. I'm guessing due to this insane heat and No rain. I've been watering em regularly but this particularly plant is lookin worse by the day.
I haven't seen any blooms. So does that mean it is dead? It is in with a couple other potato plants as well but they are still healthy looking.
Suggestions as to if I should leave it, pull it or what?

It's really hot here so my potatoes have pretty much had it. I'm not sure when you planted yours or what your climate is like but typically when the plants die is when I harvest.

Back
Top Bottom