What did you do in the garden today?

The okra are hitting their stride, even with a small herd of deer chewing on them nearly every night.
20220704_205106.jpg

Here is my garden update:

So today I found a surprise marigold in the garden, it was really quite exciting lol. We planted some last year but I didn’t expect any to come back but alas one did.
And it also turns out the surprise “fennel” I was talking about in my last post on here are my carrots that I planted and forgot about. But yay the carrots are growing!
We’ve gotten quite a few tomatoes now as well, and my mom chopped down most of the rhubarb. Oh and we got our first cherries today! (Woohoo!)
My poor garden has been so neglected what with me being gone most of June and then out sick these past two weeks. But it has done surprisingly well. The weeds are taking over, but other than that everything is growing so well even with the lack of care. Last year my garden did not do this well and I even watered it every day. I expect that was from the drought last year though. But anyway, once I’m back on my two feet I’ll get around to the weeding. I also need to get around to my ant problem (I know, I know, I posted about that forever ago, I’ve just been too lazy to take care of it lol. Once I’m done with the weeding I will post pictures of the garden (and the cherry tree), it’s so beautiful. But for now here’s the sunflowers. They’re getting huge!
Oh and I forgot to add, my pumpkin and squash plants are getting huge as well! Lots of flowers, but no visible pumpkins or squashes yet though.
793FE21E-C34F-41F1-8D80-C60AF93DDCCE.jpeg

(I know, the weeds are terrible. I apologize profusely)

Here is my garden update:

So today I found a surprise marigold in the garden, it was really quite exciting lol. We planted some last year but I didn’t expect any to come back but alas one did.
And it also turns out the surprise “fennel” I was talking about in my last post on here are my carrots that I planted and forgot about. But yay the carrots are growing!
We’ve gotten quite a few tomatoes now as well, and my mom chopped down most of the rhubarb. Oh and we got our first cherries today! (Woohoo!)
My poor garden has been so neglected what with me being gone most of June and then out sick these past two weeks. But it has done surprisingly well. The weeds are taking over, but other than that everything is growing so well even with the lack of care. Last year my garden did not do this well and I even watered it every day. I expect that was from the drought last year though. But anyway, once I’m back on my two feet I’ll get around to the weeding. I also need to get around to my ant problem (I know, I know, I posted about that forever ago, I’ve just been too lazy to take care of it lol. Once I’m done with the weeding I will post pictures of the garden (and the cherry tree), it’s so beautiful. But for now here’s the sunflowers. They’re getting huge!
Oh and I forgot to add, my pumpkin and squash plants are getting huge as well! Lots of flowers, but no visible pumpkins or squashes yet though.
View attachment 3174619
(I know, the weeds are terrible. I apologize profusely)
Weeds arent terrible until you cant see your plants for how thick and tall they grow. Then they are terrible. 😁

Sheesh, something pretty big tore through the garden last night. Had to be a raccoon from the size of the poop. It was obviously looking for grubs. Thankfully it stayed out of the beds & just overturned all the paths. I really need to get that chicken wire up, it must have used the bunnies chewed holes because I did close the gate last night. :smack

Lots of cukes pollinated, seems the female squash flowers don't want to make a showing but it may be because of the aphid infestation I had. I see some leaves looking a little tired from the soapy water so hopefully they recover & produce again soon. I'm going to direct sow some more squash in the beds where the garlic was. I kind of want to wait another week or 2 though. I'm squash bug shy. LOL. Hoping they've found other homes by then.

Looks like some rain tonight which is great because I don't feel like watering.

I'm really behind here, need to catch up on so many pages to read...
I just got back from Florida, where my sister and I got to visit our 85yo Mom, for the first time in 2 years. Mom's doing great - some of her activities have been curtailed due to covid, but she turned her screened porch into an art studio, so the three of us had a lot of fun painting together. We also watched the new Downton Abbey movie, all three of us are fans. My Aunt and Uncle live in the same assisted-living complex, but they had covid so unfortunately we could only drop off ice cream and caramel sauce they asked for, and wave to them from the doorway. Had dinner with our cousin and his daughter who live nearby, also some friends of our Mom's.
Then what do you know, my sister tested positive for covid two days later, after testing negative the day we got home. Now I have it too, sore throat Saturday and positive test yesterday.
At least our Mom is still feeling healthy so far. I'm really hoping my sister and I caught it on the overcrowded airport or plane on the way home, I really want our Mom to be safe. So far so good.
My sister spent a few days feeling crappy, but she's starting to feel better. Her husband is feeling crappy now, though. I'm feeling crappy, but not horrible. On and off coughing, sore throat but not even close to when I had strep throat, uncontrollable sneezing, and a river of nasal drainage...no fever or body aches though, so we're taking advantage of my quarantine and Mr. Dog's time off due to exposure, to get a ton of things done around here.

We cleared all around the chicken yard, piled up wood chips, and made a rock garden. Hacked out some old rusty farm implements from the blackberry jungle that were here when we bought the place, and finally put them to use as "yard art."
tempImageR2pYKE.png

Finally with the blackberries gone we can walk in between the chicken yard and this big cherry tree. Put the extra chips and rocks around for decor.
tempImageEqyVL9.png

I just love this plow.
tempImagehM9V7w.png

Got some more serious things done as well, we cleaned out and rearranged the shed. Did some weeding in the garden, but it definitely needs more attention. Before I left, beet seedlings were coming up, now there's nothing so apparently they all dried up. Only two cukes germinated, no butternuts, no zucchini or yellow squash, so I'll replant all those.
Still failing at Luffa, unfortunately. The seedlings were so healthy, replanted them in bigger pots, several weeks under a grow-light, they got big and looked good, hardened them off and planted them outside in their beds near their trellis...now they're wilted, chewed up and looking close to death. So disappointing.

Attachments

• tempImageA2RgeO.png
    tempImageA2RgeO.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageg9qnFF.png
    tempImageg9qnFF.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 1
Sheesh, something pretty big tore through the garden last night. Had to be a raccoon from the size of the poop. It was obviously looking for grubs. Thankfully it stayed out of the beds & just overturned all the paths. I really need to get that chicken wire up, it must have used the bunnies chewed holes because I did close the gate last night. :smack
Would chicken wire keep coons n ground hogs outta flowers n stuff?
I can maneuver it much better than I can the hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom