What did you do in the garden today?

Like the idea about using the net pots....
I have another idea, I will stack my old 1 1/2 inch pool tubing in the middle of the bucket with 2 net cups on each side and fill the gaps with lava rock. The hollow tubing will hold more water in the reservoir.

But its not a big issue watering it once a day with the lava rock, since my pond is right next to my wicking buckets......................

I have another idea, I will stack my old 1 1/2 inch pool tubing in the middle of the bucket with 2 net cups on each side and fill the gaps with lava rock. The hollow tubing will hold more water in the reservoir.

But its not a big issue watering it once a day with the lava rock, since my pond is right next to my wicking buckets......................
I do mine based upon Leon's videos which is to use milk jugs, soda bottles, etc. I have experimented a little with net pots, cotton rope, etc but not nearly as much as you have.

Soooo I've fallen behind again so I apologize for any missed posts, takes some time to catch up.

I think I'll dump my weeds-as-fertilizer bucket in a hole too - it has some big worms or grubs that I can't stand to look at and it smells so I just let it sit. I'm dumping it and starting over with new batch of weeds.
Weed/compost tea always smells terrible, I just tell myself it's no worse than fish fertilizer and keep going. :)

Ya, trimming some varieties of indeterminates just angers them and makes them go insane! LOL.
I swear they are like blackberries sometimes, you trim them here and they pop out there!

I am going to take advantage of the slope to make a storage room. I will cover it with dirt so it will be hidden. no air photos:lau
I would love to have a root cellar but no chance of that here, the water table is about a foot and a half down this time of year and a couple inches down in the winter.

The rain they've been promising for days hasn't materialized so I gave everything a good drink last night. If course this means it will rain today. :lau
We're hoping for rain tomorrow (68 per cent chance) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What about sushi? I've never made it but I would love to.... Don't think that would use a lot though.
Not unless you're making sushi for a LOT of people! :)

@Sueby, you are welcome to move here anytime, you know I'm always trying to sweet talk folks this way. :hugs

Well it's been a while and the garden is coming right along. I'm still not sure if I'll get any peppers this year but there's always next year. I've used up all of my salsa and even all of the terrible rotel I made last year so if I don't get enough tomatoes I'll cave in and buy tomatoes from the farmers market. The cucumbers are growing strongly now. It's nearly time to harvest currants and gooseberries assuming the waxwings leave me any. They already scarfed down the rest of the ripe blueberries that I'd been enjoying as I worked in the garden.

DP assembled her very cool 3 tiered pond/waterfall plant system, just needs the finishing touches (I'll post a pic later). It looks so nice and the sound of the trickling water is lovely.

The littles are mingling with the big girls now with hardly any friction. The tinies are coming along too but one of them has decided he's a cockerel unfortunately and as always it's one of our favorites. :he

We have friends coming over this evening to sit on the porch, eat snacks (we made enough for an army) and watch the fireworks over the lake. Not feeling it as much this year so we're treating the day as a get together with a light show.

Do you roast split side down or up? Whenever I roast them down they get too soggy on me and I end up flipping them upright halfway through to dry it out a bit.
I do cut side up! Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I'll nuke em for 10 minutes first, then brown them up.

@SheaLoner Personally I roast in 1.5 inch thick slices. I know you didn't ask me, but figured I would share. I rub them in avocado oil before roasting.
Thats an interesting idea! I feel like I dodge a bullet every time I just cut them in half though, can't imagine it would be wise for me to cu them more than once. 🤭 :gig

@NewBoots I've been wondering where you were! My aunt & cousin were just out here from OR & I keep telling them if it weren't for DH I'd move out there in a half a second! I love the pine trees, waterfalls & cool weather. I just love it out there - I could so live there in a heart beat.

Female Spicebush Swallowtail:
92063E53-17A5-41C5-A36C-9BD9ADBB012C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom