What did you do in the garden today?

We have a frost free pump at the barn. From this, we run a hose to the back where we have a homemade stand with a 4-way connection. The frost free pump has a 2-way connection, so one is for the hose to the back, the other is for a hose to use in the front of the barn.

Currently, 2 hoses are connected at the back. One is usually connected to a sprinkler, or soaker hose. The other is for handheld watering or cleaning, filling waterers. All have quick connects on them. We only have 4 soaker hoses (50ft each) out. We run them as sets of two. We have found that they run better if we use a 2-way connection and run one soaker hose off each connection.

We are on year 3 of our heavy duty Red hoses. They are 3/4” I think. Can’t remember where we bought them, but I think at a farm store. They are kinda heavy, but very durable.

For our garden, we pull the hose one way or another, and it can be a problem of the hose going over a bed. So we strategically place 4’ posts at corners of beds where needed to keep the hose from damaging plants.
Our red, rubber, heavy duty hose is on year three. Last year it developed weak spots, bulges in a couple places and finally a giant bubble and blew out. I cut and repaired the hose. This year it's bulging in many places and when it goes, they'll be no repairing it.

The flex hoses are useless for keeping up pressure.

I need the 3/4 inch hoses as the main lines for the irrigation head of the system, so hose replacement is all I can do.

@TJAnonymous a roll of self fusing repair tape has saved me from having to buy new hoses. You can even seal the connectors which are always the first spot to leak. I also recommend macabee traps for the gopher.. the green ones from H. Depot are the perfect size (smaller) and cheap. Dig out a tunnel and put one in each direction, then cover with plywood to keep it dark.

Pretty pic. Camera at ground level. Mushroom among some ground creeping red flowers. Tomatillos (right) and tomatoes (left) in the background.
539EA6F3-5585-4457-9343-5CD7528DF2FB.jpeg

Ha, found it. He never borrowed it, it was in my canning cabinet. :lau Lost in the kitchen remodel shuffle.
I trust you are going to fess up and tell him you told the world he was dead for not returning the pH meter he never borrowed!

Yeah. My policy has always been to have a pot of boiling water ready, pick the ears and RUN to the kitchen with them. OK, that might be a wee bit of an exaggeration...but not by much.
What? You don't have a propane burner out in the garden so you can have the water boiling right there when you pick the corn???

I gather the newer varieties of corn are a bit more forgiving timewise, you can probably walk back to the house and even let them sit for a few hours.

Hoses are very frustrating.

Can't wait to replace all of them
Whatever you buy DO NOT buy the "NeverKink" brand. The name is "creative writing" at best and a trademarked name, nothing more. For sure it is NOT a description of the product. POS that kinks at the drop of a hat. Unless you lay it out, and leave it layed out, it WILL kink

What? You don't have a propane burner out in the garden so you can have the water boiling right there when you pick the corn???
I do, but we're under drought conditions and playing with fire in our dry-as-the-Sahara pastures is severely frowned upon at this time.
I gather the newer varieties of corn are a bit more forgiving timewise, you can probably walk back to the house and even let them sit for a few hours.
Hey, it's hard enough as it is for me to push my fat ass to get enough exercise. Don't give me any more reasons to avoid it. :p

Y'all got jokes today! Making me laugh over here, and goodness knows I need it.

Hey what do I do with my single 4 inch long okra pod? Can't exactly bread and fry up one. Lol
Stew/cook some vegetables? Stew sone tomatoes with a single okra sliced pod…not so thick and slimy. Small canning jar-pickle the single pod 🤣?

Pretty pic. Camera at ground level. Mushroom among some ground creeping red flowers. Tomatillos (right) and tomatoes (left) in the background.
View attachment 3177089
I love that pic!! Nice job!
I trust you are going to fess up and tell him you told the world he was dead for not returning the pH meter he never borrowed!
Of course, he thinks it's hilarious. Thankfully. :lau
Y'all got jokes today! Making me laugh over here, and goodness knows I need it.

Hey what do I do with my single 4 inch long okra pod? Can't exactly bread and fry up one. Lol
Throw it out. 🤭 Okra is icky. 😆

Back
Top Bottom