What did you do in the garden today?

Some garden predators seen today:

Jumping spider (ick, but eat other bugs so..mmm…ok)
C1BE1E7F-0653-4362-BD36-59DF5F61945D.jpeg

Assassin bug
86BE1C44-C0D5-4619-86D2-A4932CA5D075.jpeg

Beans are climbing nicely!
86FB98FF-F65C-4D7A-B43F-3F16958597B4.jpeg

I weeded for a couple hours. Then I hunted Japanese Beetles. I'm going to keep a running tally, but I have to estimate the last two days. 40 + 30 + 109.
I’ve been going out 2-3x per day to hand catch JB. I generally fully cover one solid layer in the bucket of soapy water. I also have 3 traps out. I’ve replaced all the bags 1x already. They are everywhere!

I guess we got a little behind on harvesting while we had family visiting. 😆

View attachment 3177807
My Japanese eggplant didn't start growing until the past 3 weeks. I started seeds back in early February and the eggplant stayed about 3 inches tall until just recently. It has grown a foot in the past 2 weeks, I swear...

I came to a realization tonight that made me want to face palm... bag_zpsdadf24ba.gif

I planted some luffa in a very large pot close to the house. I attached a 5ft trellis to the pot and its right next to the field fence so lots of room to expand. It's done very well but I'm having to water it daily in this heat. I *thought* the pot it is in was set up to be a self-watering container so I've been worried about potential root rot from all this water I've been dumping in it daily... I couldn't understand how it was going through so much water...

Well tonight I realized it is NOT a self-watering container like I thought. This one has holes in the bottom so the water I've been giving it is literally draining out the bottom. I had no idea...

Now I feel like an idiot. No wonder the plant is wilted every day and won't set fruit. I'm going to have to pick up a large saucer from Lowe's and get DH to help me under the pot somehow which will be difficult with it full of dirt and plants.

I'm such a dummy...
bag_zpsdadf24ba.gif

Back
Top Bottom