What did you do in the garden today?

My Japanese eggplant didn't start growing until the past 3 weeks. I started seeds back in early February and the eggplant stayed about 3 inches tall until just recently. It has grown a foot in the past 2 weeks, I swear...

Eggplants LOVE the heat! They will stay smaller until you're uncomfortably warm while tending your garden, lol. At least that's what happens in my experience.

I came to a realization tonight that made me want to face palm... View attachment 3177866

I planted some luffa in a very large pot close to the house. I attached a 5ft trellis to the pot and its right next to the field fence so lots of room to expand. It's done very well but I'm having to water it daily in this heat. I *thought* the pot it is in was set up to be a self-watering container so I've been worried about potential root rot from all this water I've been dumping in it daily... I couldn't understand how it was going through so much water...

Well tonight I realized it is NOT a self-watering container like I thought. This one has holes in the bottom so the water I've been giving it is literally draining out the bottom. I had no idea...

Now I feel like an idiot. No wonder the plant is wilted every day and won't set fruit. I'm going to have to pick up a large saucer from Lowe's and get DH to help me under the pot somehow which will be difficult with it full of dirt and plants.

I'm such a dummy... View attachment 3177866

Oh no! Such a bummer!

I think my pumpkin plants are going to overrun the whole garden!! I swear it has grown a foot in each direction every day this week!
View attachment 3177910

My pumpkins grew from the pumpkin patch, up and over the tomato bed, and into the watermelon patch this year. 😆

You can see it after about a minute and a half in this video, lol.

So far this season we've harvested asparagus, chives, cilantro, cherries, black raspberries, blueberries, green peppers, lettuce, lots of cucumbers, and today we finally got a big batch of green beans!
I have a 3-gallon bucket heaping full of cucumbers so I'm going to have to get right on that tomorrow!
It's been actually raining yesterday and today. 😊 So I think I'll wait until next week to harvest the garlic.

Got a cute picture of a busy bee. It's like it's staring at me saying, hey I was here first! A yellow squash plant.
Screenshot_20220706-094206_Photos.jpg

I have 6 hoses, anywhere from 50 ft - 100 ft, connected together to reach the garden so I can water... They leak at all the connections plus 3 of the 6 have splits that are leaking from the hose breaking down.

I can't wait until I can replace them with soaker hoses. Just trying to figure out a decent layout. My garden area is rather large. There are numerous, separate raised beds (either tires or metal beds) around the perimeter on the sides. In the center is the main plot which is 20 ft x 20 ft. Probably be easier to show a drawing of the layout. Maybe you guys with hose experience can tell me your opinions on an effective layout.

cost of hoses here is about the same as automatic watering tubes. I will not bother with hoses as they don't last long.

I did get strawberries 7, 6 of them where very nice one had been eaten by bugs .. Need another beer for slugs.

I have got 1 strawberry. didn't pickit up as it is smaller than pea. brutal heat, of course. I bought 1 plant only and by miracle one of the last years (my favourite) sprouted from the roots. it looks like alpine, somewhat smaller but very sweet. I hope to keep it alive till I manage to finally move to my new place.

Back
Top Bottom