What did you do in the garden today?

You should try some of the honey from the Killer Bee guy. I posted the link earlier. I'm not really even a honey lover but WOW... You know it has to be good when someone who rarely eats honey buys 6 or 7 jars of it. I was eating straight out of the jar with pretzel sticks.

Ooo I'll have to scroll back and try to find the link!

when I don't know what to do with extra veggies I just give them to my chickens.

My chickens get an incredible amount of garden plants, veggie trimmings, and caterpillars, lol. They've been given so many watermelon rinds this year that I'm amazed they still get excited when I go out there with them. 😅

We've been making a big effort to preserve as much as we can when we're tired of eating some of our produce this year. Pressure canning, freezing, dehydrating, and making sauces, jams, and jellies!

We're participating in a collab where we're only going to eat what we can produce or forage ourselves (or barter something we produced) for the entire month of February 2023 (which for us is a cold month with a lot less growing). We will only have a budget of $50US to spend on groceries other than what we produce ourselves for that whole month. It's going to be quite the challenge! Especially with the prices of groceries going up so much.

Well got a 12 canning jar box full and overflowing of produce from garden plus a cantaloupe to the family of 10 in one house...praying it helps them out in some way...plus a little basket full to neighbor that wont talk to us :confused:
I hate I had that much I didn't get to do anything with but I hope it gets used by someone in more need than us.
Peach salsa...gonna have to make a double batch next time! We are down to one jar!
Got the chickens all settled in for neighbor...praying they behave and stay well!!! I hate Pravin home!
Oh and DH fixed the refrigerator!!! Clogged drain doohickey in the back! Praying that was all and stays workin properly til we return or longer!

My chickens get an incredible amount of garden plants, veggie trimmings, and caterpillars, lol. They've been given so many watermelon rinds this year that I'm amazed they still get excited when I go out there with them. 😅

We've been making a big effort to preserve as much as we can when we're tired of eating some of our produce this year. Pressure canning, freezing, dehydrating, and making sauces, jams, and jellies!

We're participating in a collab where we're only going to eat what we can produce or forage ourselves (or barter something we produced) for the entire month of February 2023 (which for us is a cold month with a lot less growing). We will only have a budget of $50US to spend on groceries other than what we produce ourselves for that whole month. It's going to be quite the challenge! Especially with the prices of groceries going up so much.
Sounds interesting. So you can’t use any store bought staples like rice, pasta etc that you already have on hand?

even bee keepers do that. they make syrup of 3 herbs (mint, lemon balm and wormwood) and sugar. honey is still good but sugar kills bees. they live less than they should.
Please tell me where you read or learned sugar killed bees?(genuinely curious not being snarky)

I've been a beekeeper since I was 10 have never had a hive die due to sugar consumption. Also I would never give wormwood(bee toxic) or lemon balm(used with lemon grass it attracts swarms very well). Wintergreen in the sugar water is very good to keep away tracheal mites and the mint smell keeps out spiders

I haven't met a honey I didn't like yet, lol. The local honey in fall is darker and I don't love it as much as the spring honey but it's all good to me!
Florida Swamp Honey was NOT my favorite. It smelled and tasted of turpentine.
Clifford is in his jar on the front porch. I might make him a house later today. We shall see.

Garden is gardening.
Sitting here working and listening to/watching the bagepipe finals in Glasgow.

Back
Top Bottom