What did you do in the garden today?

Everything I've read claims that Fava Beans (aka, "Broad Beans") are cold hardy down to 14°F. I'm not sure that's right, at least not when they're starting out. We haven't gotten below 25°F yet.

Attachments

• 20230130_162823.jpg
    20230130_162823.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 3
Watching garden and grafting videos to pass the time.
That's been helping me soothe that gardening itch, too! In fact, it got me to Google LED grow lights, and I found Lowe's had some 36" long ones on sale (57% off!!!). So, after talking with my husband about it, I bought 4! And discovered that a shelving unit in the basement is the perfect size! So, I cleaned it off and he helped me bring it upstairs to the spare room.

I am SO excited for what this means for seed starting!!! I can start more seeds, and do WAY less work!
The only grow lights I've ever had are Aerogardens. I would take the grow bowls off, wrap the light fixtures in aluminum foil to harness as much light as possible, and have to constantly be rotating the plants so they would each get enough light. I happy danced when my husband immediately agreed that 4 was a good idea!!
2B6A571A-372A-46B0-8802-F9BA46AF5E2A.jpeg

800EDFF7-3738-4AF6-959E-46606CF1699F.jpeg

Here is what my old setup was:
44167155-F9F8-4E9A-96F4-ADAD420213D8.jpeg

I do know Purina had feed specifically labeled Layer, but i buy Kalmbach 17% pellets. I don't really have many choices. I bought the feed for molting last time, but thats the only time ive ever seen it. What should they be eating over winter then?
I use a starter/grower all the time since my local distributor doesn’t have an all flock. I just supplement oyster shell on the side at all times. Figure that’s easiest, if I even have chicks they can all eat the same, and if anyone has stopped laying for any reason, no extra calcium to mess them up!

Freezing here this weekend too. Not looking forward to it!

That's been helping me soothe that gardening itch, too! In fact, it got me to Google LED grow lights, and I found Lowe's had some 36" long ones on sale (57% off!!!). So, after talking with my husband about it, I bought 4! And discovered that a shelving unit in the basement is the perfect size! So, I cleaned it off and he helped me bring it upstairs to the spare room.

I am SO excited for what this means for seed starting!!! I can start more seeds, and do WAY less work!
The only grow lights I've ever had are Aerogardens. I would take the grow bowls off, wrap the light fixtures in aluminum foil to harness as much light as possible, and have to constantly be rotating the plants so they would each get enough light. I happy danced when my husband immediately agreed that 4 was a good idea!!
View attachment 3391196
View attachment 3391199

Here is what my old setup was:
View attachment 3391201
If you can hang them in at that the lights can be adjusted in height is a huge help. I keep my cheap LED grow lights just above the top of the plants. If they are several inches above the plants the might get leggy trying to each for the light.

Ugh. We are having an ice storm this evening. It's only been sleeting for an hour and everything already has a major coating of ice. We'll easily have over a half inch of ice by morning... And more (the worst part) on the way for tomorrow night.

I'm praying to God the nets over my chicken/goat yard hold up. :fl The ice storm last year snapped half the support poles across the entire yard. We replaced them with heavier duty wood posts so if the ice puts major weight on the netting it will likely tear the net rather than snap the wood. Of course I don't want the animals to get caught up in the nets either.... Very worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom