What did you do in the garden today?

All caught up!

On Tuesday I thinned my carrots, NEVER have had such beautiful specimens! I am giving credit to the raised bed and compost. I sliced and cooked them, the taste is exquisite.
View attachment 3525300

I gave the greens to the chicks, they were very excited.
View attachment 3525310
The next day all that was left of the carrot tops were stems, the leaves were GONE.

I also thinned out tomato foliage, so now there will be better air flow and I can find the tomatoes.
View attachment 3525312
View attachment 3525322
That's borage in the front.

I wasn't sure if tomato leaves were good for the chickens, so I just added them to the compost pile.
View attachment 3525319

Here come the beans!
View attachment 3525321

tomato leaves are toxic for the chickens. although if they eat small quantity it will not kill them.

I just planted some seeds I extracted from my Hybrid Princess Yum Yum Cherry tomatoes. I wonder if any of the plants will have the TYLCV resistance. I am really impressed with this variety, its the only one that is truly resistant to the virus.

I have tried other seeds that have the TYLCV resistance on the description, but they still got sick. However, some of the plants from the same package are resisting the virus, so it maybe random.

Although Pamella and Roman Warrior are resisting the virus, its too hot for the flower to set any fruit, so I started 10 Heat Master seeds, I am hoping it can set fruit before it show signs of stunting. I will also graft some to the Princess Yum Yum home grown seeds for comparison. I wonder if it will keep the heat resistance with a new root stock?

Last edited:
I bought a hollyhock plant a couple weeks ago. It was in the ground when we had our frost (a week ago today, hard to believe) and the leaves have turned yellow and spotted. The many, many buds have done nothing.

Is it toast?
I did basically the same with my fig tree - an unexpected frost & it's completely stunted. There are only 2 leaves left on it & the buds are going nowhere. I think ours both will be ok but a little slow this year. Here's hoping anyway!

Good morning gardeners. I am finished gardening for the day. I planted the remaining 3 lavender plants and another bunch of oregano. Then I installed another sprinkler for the south end of the hill garden. Things were looking good on my garden walk. The first row of peas I planted are now developing blossoms and the Lima beans are starting to emerge from the dirt. I'm hoping to work on the last new garden area tomorrow for the three sisters planting. I'm taking it a bit easier for the rest of today. Hopefully I can get a little housework done. Going on a quick shopping trip this afternoon with DD, but that's it. I'm really worn out. I just realized that it's only been 2 weeks since that awful hard freeze we had. I've got a lot accomplished since then and I'm starting to feel it. I wouldn't be too concerned about your fig tree @Sueby. I was convinced mine was dead after that -15F arctic blast we got. I keep my fig tree in the garage (unheated) during the winter and it's outside growing now. Already 81F here with thunderstorms moving in around 1 PM. I turned the AC on an hour ago. Have a great day all.

IMG_20230601_181944323_HDR~2.jpg

First Canna lily blossom June first. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

All I did last night was chicken related, with the exception of watering my newly-planted annuals.

Finally got my melons, corn, pumpkin, eggplant, okra, cucumber, and zucchini seeds in - everything is going in very late this year. 😬 Also spread some wildflower and marigold seeds over the
Canada thistle patch I ripped out yesterday. Yesterday I also finished ripping out the grass behind the chicken run and planted a mix of sunflowers and amaranth. The chickens were *very* upset and confused I was throwing sunflower seeds on the ground where they couldn't get them. Can't wait for that surprise for them later this summer.

Still on the agenda is clipping and burning some hollyhock and rose leaves. Rust and black spot are hitting me hard this year.

And I'm finding spittle bugs on everything, everywhere. So I need to figure out how to control that.

Back
Top Bottom