What did you do in the garden today?

Yes, it IS semantics, but organic farmers are disallowed from selling 'Organic' produce without walking over and sitting under the government's umbrella.
Yup. This is true. But, again, as a group people aren’t very good at self-regulating. Sometimes it’s by accident. Sometimes not. However, the organic farmer who has not jumped through the govt hoops and paid the fees, can still use other terms to describe their foods and get the message across their target market that they are selling stuff like organic.

There was a post on BYC about eggs …. Something about “cruelty free” eggs. Whaaat? “Cruelty” to some on BYC is not free ranging your birds on 100 acres, to others it is not considering them pets, and others it’s not feeding uber- expensive organic whole grains. But in reality, cruelty would really be along the lines of limited food and water, kicking them across the chicken yard, etc. but, to some people I’m sure that “label” means something, but for 100 people that “label” means 100 different things.

Still, just because something is regulated isn’t perfect. Take “free-range”. I think that’s the term similar to “organic” where certain things need to be met. Most people would imagine a bucolic setting of chickens hunting bugs and scratching grass. But in reality, as long as certain things are met, they are free range. But those certain things are “access” to outside, or maybe just not in a cage…it’s been awhile since I’ve read this, so I can’t remember specifics, but certainly it’s not what most people imagine.

The plant produced long black egg plant, but he took a flower from a round white egg plant and pollinated some flowers on the long black egg plant and it fruited white. After harvest, he pulled out the plant and the cut carrot root top grew into a whole carrot.
That’s also fake. Just like a white man sleeping with a black womanly won’t change the colour of the woman, only the colour of the offspring.

Yup. This is true. But, again, as a group people aren’t very good at self-regulating. Sometimes it’s by accident. Sometimes not. However, the organic farmer who has not jumped through the govt hoops and paid the fees, can still use other terms to describe their foods and get the message across their target market that they are selling stuff like organic.

Yup. That was what I was saying with Elliot Coleman promoting the use of 'authentically grown'.

How can installing a simple hook and eye latch be so complicated?
I honestly never thought this would be a challenge in any way. 😂

IMG_20230604_150018178.jpg

Tomatoes pruned and watered and fed.
Garden had a quick run through with the weeding hoe.
Hummy feeders cleaned and refilled, strawberries eaten off the plant by DH.
Alpacas and stalls sprayed for flies.
OMG OMG THE BITING BLOOD SUCKING FLIES!
They don't care if you're wearing DEET. You may as well be wearing sugar water. UNBELIEVEABLE!

Tomatoes pruned and watered and fed.
Garden had a quick run through with the weeding hoe.
Hummy feeders cleaned and refilled, strawberries eaten off the plant by DH.
Alpacas and stalls sprayed for flies.
OMG OMG THE BITING BLOOD SUCKING FLIES!
They don't care if you're wearing DEET. You may as well be wearing sugar water. UNBELIEVEABLE!
Oh, they're awful!!!

Back
Top Bottom