What did you do in the garden today?

Started soaking some broccoli and cauliflower seeds tonight. Wish I had more room for more plants! I am trying very hard to stick with 5 broccoli and 5 cauliflower plants. I'm going to try to keep them alive over the hot summer and see if they get a 2nd crop in late fall/early winter. I did that (by accident) with a purple cauliflower this past season. It didn't die until we got down to zero about 2 weeks ago. I wish I would have harvested the florets off of it before the freeze. All ruined now. Oh well...

I gotta QUIT buying flowers and seeds. I ended up buying 4 more flower seed packets from Baker and about 10 more Dahlia bulbs from Brecks. I already have a bunch more Dahlias that I ordered a couple of months ago... I have no freaking clue where I'm going to put all of this... :he. This is worse than chicken math, I think.
Seed math is a far worse condition than chicken math. You may be beyond hope already...

Seeds arrived!
We ordered on Monday; Victory seeds came Friday and E and R seeds came today. I'm very happy with both companies on the timing.

All the peppers from E and R are on back order, sadly. I liked last year's pepper varieties and have enough seeds from last year for those. I wanted to try Ancho (poblano) and Habanero Sweet Red; There is some time before I would start them -maybe they will be back in stock and come soon enough.

I plan to start onions soon. I read they make a layer for each leaf (or pair of leaves, maybe). They make new leaves given intervals. When day length reaches the right length for that variety, they stop making new leaves and start expanding each layer. I'll start more seeds later - there are a LOT of seeds in a packet of onions.

Actually, I prefer medium size onions so maybe it would be better to start them later. I will try to find out this year.

Most things need a month, or two, or three before they should be started inside.

Seeds arrived!
We ordered on Monday; Victory seeds came Friday and E and R seeds came today. I'm very happy with both companies on the timing.

All the peppers from E and R are on back order, sadly. I liked last year's pepper varieties and have enough seeds from last year for those. I wanted to try Ancho (poblano) and Habanero Sweet Red; There is some time before I would start them -maybe they will be back in stock and come soon enough.

I plan to start onions soon. I read they make a layer for each leaf (or pair of leaves, maybe). They make new leaves given intervals. When day length reaches the right length for that variety, they stop making new leaves and start expanding each layer. I'll start more seeds later - there are a LOT of seeds in a packet of onions.

Actually, I prefer medium size onions so maybe it would be better to start them later. I will try to find out this year.

Most things need a month, or two, or three before they should be started inside.
Onions are classed as long day, short day and intermediate. If you are upper Midwest you want long day onions or intermediate.

I’ve had the best luck with starting from seeds indoors, or planting the dormant plants (not bulbs) sold in bundles at the local farm store. But, only tried bulbs once, so not a lot of experience with those.

A friend of mine lamented that her onions would always rot. However, she also shared that to get green onions, she thought you just clipped off the tops of your growing onions. Nope, you grow onions for that particular purpose. Don’t clip the tops off of the onions bc water gets inside the layers that way and will rot your onions.

I plant a bit close, then pull green or baby onions as they grow to give more room to the ones I leave in the ground.

I might need an intervention... Start blocking their websites from my devices. Take my name off their mailing list.. Shock therapy might even be necessary at this point.
Me too. I think the order I placed today was 6th or 7th. Must stop….need money for other things in life!

Onions are classed as long day, short day and intermediate. If you are upper Midwest you want long day onions or intermediate.

I’ve had the best luck with starting from seeds indoors, or planting the dormant plants (not bulbs) sold in bundles at the local farm store. But, only tried bulbs once, so not a lot of experience with those.

A friend of mine lamented that her onions would always rot. However, she also shared that to get green onions, she thought you just clipped off the tops of your growing onions. Nope, you grow onions for that particular purpose. Don’t clip the tops off of the onions bc water gets inside the layers that way and will rot your onions.

I plant a bit close, then pull green or baby onions as they grow to give more room to the ones I leave in the ground.
I attempted to grow onions from seeds last year and they did terribly. I grew the right seeds for my area (long day), started them indoors, planted them outside, and they just didn't grow.

This year I'm buying a bag of sets and a bundle of starts instead.

Back
Top Bottom