What did you do in the garden today?

Another 7-ish hours spent in the garden today. In addition to the canna lilies, I planted 20 ranunculus corms. I also planted 3 peony roots and seeded a low-grow flower mix around the peony border. Except one bed which I seeded with antique calendula.

Lastly I repotted a honey mesquite seedling and started some comfrey, marigolds, and columbine in some peat pots.

Now I'm pooped. 😂😴

Got some cool weather crops planted. Going back and forth on the house work and gardening. The new picture of Wally, he weighs 40.2 pounds.
IMG_20240323_192001.jpg

This thread is so motivating. It really has made me feel like I can keep chipping away at stuff. I got rained on pretty hard today but it was worth it. The cloudburst was enough that I had to go inside for about an hour. Slow moving storm this weekend.

I'm so excited to see everyone's gardens start to take off come May. I think this is going to be a good season. 🎉💚

I opened a can of Glory Southern Style Collard Greens today and mixed in some fresh Prism Kale from my Kratky buckets.
It's basically simmered in a sweet ham broth and the Kale is chopped and diced into pieces. I decided to thicken the broth with corn starch and threw in some chopped up whole ham.

That sounds so great! I can hardly wait to see photos!

I need to get irises, we have a great iris farm nearby. I've been wanting to plant more bulbs. I love bulb flowers!
It's a weird angle for the picture but this bed is 8 ft long by 2 - 3 ft wide. Except for the rose bush in the middle (sprayed with Bordeaux mix), I've had different flowers in this bed every year. I can't seem to find anything that can withstand the invasive weeds, chickens, and goats. I put up chicken wire to keep them out. Need to find something more decorative though because it's right next to my house and the chicken wire looks so redneck. 😂

Anyway, I had over 100 iris bulbs between my mom's house (I dug them up after she died last year) and the previous homeowner of our house. I gave away a TON and I still have more that I need to dig up, divide, and replant somewhere else...

20240324_190656.jpg

I've eaten a lot of cans of Glory greens before I started gardening again (got 'em at Walmart). They are good, a little sweetness but just enough. Seasoned nicely too.
I opened a can of Glory Southern Style Collard Greens today and mixed in some fresh Prism Kale from my Kratky buckets.
It's basically simmered in a sweet ham broth and the Kale is chopped and diced into pieces. I decided to thicken the broth with corn starch and threw in some chopped up whole ham.

I fed my last collard plant to the flock today.

Back
Top Bottom