What did you do in the garden today?

As a result, the fridge is getting overrun with pickling cucumbers. And the chickens are enjoying the ones that were overlooked (and, ergo, overgrown) in the garden.

Thanks. Just been wanting to sleep and not drown....
So sorry you're sick. Hope you have a speedy recovery. My weeds are growing very well. Will provide excellent forage and cover to deter hawk predation when I let them in to glean. I had a rough time getting cukes started. First one just now getting ready to pick. Dill as tall as the corn! Corn almost ready, and electric fence up and running to keep Rocky out.

Trying to keep a tally of what I've preserved from the garden so far!

20 jars rhubarb jam (various sizes - 10 are left)
18 quart bags frozen green beans
3 quart bags frozen yellow squash
265 ears of corn (about 1/3 is frozen creamed corn and 2/3 regular frozen corn)
7 pints of salsa (and a few pints in the fridge)
7 pints pickled banana peppers
18 various jars of grape jelly (and making another batch tonight - gave 5 away)
2 pints grape syrup for pancakes

Last edited:
Trying to keep a tally of what I've preserved from the garden so far!

20 jars rhubarb jam (various sizes - 10 are left)
16 quart bags frozen green beans
265 ears of corn (about 1/3 is frozen creamed corn and 2/3 regular frozen corn)
7 pints of salsa (and a few pints in the fridge)
7 pints pickled banana peppers
4 pints grape jelly (and making another batch tonight)

This weekend I need to do another batch of salsa and some pickles!

Wow - That's Awesome!

I am duly impressed with the preserving prowess.

Have the last vestiges of my cold still (hint: buy stock in Kleenex), but it's also close to 100 out and so I wouldn't be working long in the yard anyway.

DH and I were commenting on how very fortunate we gardeners are to be able to eat truly the freshest food on earth. This is his first real garden and he's just in awe of the flavors and variety.

Anyway, I've got a fridge full of Boston pickle cucumbers to work on and a few that hid out too long on the vine for the chooks....and they really enjoy the cukes on these hot days.

Son harvested a few tiny potatos as the foliage has died back-- he realizes now that potted plants need more watering.
Ate handful of roma beans.
searched for the one productive summer squash but it has been swallowed up by the wild winter squash. lol Fortunately, more summer planted elsewhere!!

Pulled up Okra, Cantaloupe, and summer squash. Made some rows with the tractor. Planted swiss chard and broccoli.
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom