What did you do in the garden today?

NEbraska is a mutual ownership when it comes to fences. Anyone can put one up on the bounderies, but upkeep becomes the responsibility of both sides. WHICH SUCKS! It's his damn fence, and he's neglected it for 40 years. I've repaired it twice, restrung 5 strands of barbed wire once, and not one dime. But if I don't want cattle roaming my lot, I have to keep up with it. (Although I CAN bill him for damages they do while here.) So far they're just pests. Plus he's a crazy nice guy. LOL.

Yup, I pressure can soups. But I do it in the winter when I make a large batch and I can the leftovers so they don't take up room in the fridge

That is exactly where I am! No freezer or fridge space and I'd like the flavor of Summer in the Winter. Sooooo, if you're got any time after all the stuff on your plate could you tell me a bit about pressure canning?

I've never done it. If I pressure can would I not have to worry about the level of acidity at all? Could I make my own recipe and pressure can it and feel confident it was safe if the acid level is below USDA guidelines? And would the texture of veggies in a minimal amount of liquid remain pleasant or go all soft and gooey?

When I made it to the field.....I saw calves. IN THE ORCHARD! A: calves should never be IN the orchard B: I DON"T HAVE COWS!

:th:lau Hysterical way of describing the shock!

LOL. So much for my evening. I spent dusk and into the dark chasing loose bull calves and mending a barbed wire fence. So I guess I earned my pizza. So much for an evening off.

Hope you enjoyed your well-deserved pizza and you're DONE for the day!

sad getting allot here but all so darn small bought 2 early girl use to be a decent size tomato but now so small mad-mad.gif

Thought to share some of my flowers.
These are Black swallow tail caterpillars. I saw a few butterflies about a weak earlier. They were flying around my dill container.
When I saw these, I knew it was over for dill. Next day,,,, there was no dill left, and have no IDEA what happened to caterpillars:idunno
Next year I will plant more dill, so I may have some for myself:yesss:
IMG_20190803_191243276.jpg
Nasturtiums, I like this large variety. Planted seeds. Mixed color package. Yes,,,, there is a surprise corn in this pot also:)

IMG_20190804_174812891_HDR.jpg

I call this SURPRISE CORN. it is growing out of a flower pot. Planted by my friendly squirrels.
IMG_20190818_191524290_HDR.jpg

Surprise sunflower also. I have a bunch growing out of different flower pots. I just let them grow. I know in short time the squirrels will chomp of the heads.
IMG_20190818_191638385_HDR.jpg
Ivy geraniums, one of my Favs:love
IMG_20190818_191717303_HDR.jpg
My Black Eyed Susan's really bloomed nicely. I think the much rain in spring really did them good. In previous years with not as much spring rain, I would have half the number of blooms
IMG_20190818_191734639_HDR.jpg
Spinach.
IMG_20190818_192400767_HDR.jpg
I like the mixed zinnia assortment. Seed planted after no more frost danger.
IMG_20190818_192512713_HDR.jpg
These are Perennial Hibiscus. They are not the woody stem type. Everything comes up from the root each year. Had these for many years now.
IMG_20190819_135741928_HDR.jpg

Good morning gardeners. Sounds like your harvests are going well. I picked another 3 pounds of tomatoes this morning along with a bell pepper and another surprise cucumber. I planning on canning tomatoes on Sunday. My pole beans are looking good and I hope to start harvesting them sometime next week. Can't wait. The weather is cooling down and getting drier so I need to spend some quality time on the yard work. I'm making progress on the garage. I'm taking it slow because it was so hot and humid but I'm also trying to organize the stuff as I go so perhaps next year it won't be such a big chore. Your photos are lovely @cavemanrich, I especially liked the black-eyed susans, one of my favorites. I haven't planted any in my yard yet but hope to get them in next year. The flower mix I spread in my herb garden has the little chrysanthemums that resemble the black-eyed susans so that gives me a smile. I don't know how you manage @WthrLady, you work so hard. Anything you can find to lighten your load is always welcome. Before I retired and was dealing with a 3+hour round trip commute everyday I relied on my crockpot a lot. Also came up with some quick fix dinners. My guilty pleasure was (and still is) Chinese food delivery. If anyone else is interested in learning more about canning and preserving your own garden harvests check out the Ball Canning website: https://ballhomecanning.com. Lots of good information to be had. Interesting sourdough fix @penny1960. When my starter is dragging a bit I add a little yeast to give it a boost. The addition of buttermilk sounds very interesting I may have to give it a try. Have a great day everyone and have fun with all those peaches @karenerwin.

Back
Top Bottom