What did you do in the garden today?

You all know I'm a meteorologist, right?

Apple seeds need a chill period, kept moist and in the dark and cold. After that germination can take up to 12 weeks before you see anything.

80% of apples grown from need are inedible, we call them tossers. Only wildlife will eat them they're so terrible. But since you said you just wanted the trees.
I wasn't quite sure. I know we have a problem with weather forecasts in my area. I think the problem lies in the somewhat local meteorologists trying to be as accurate as they can, however when given the broad area they are covering it's hard to really sum it all up with one forecast. The weather in eastern Massachusetts and Boston is usually very different than it is farther west and in higher elevations. I've tried to catch the weather forecast for southern New Hampshire, but again, their generalized weather forecasts rarely match what happens all over. The brief weather notes I get on my cellphone app are not always dependable, but a little closer to accurate. It's really annoying when the folks on TV are declaring what a warm winter we are having. Excuse me, I had to wrap my chicken run a month earlier this year because of the cold, have gone through 2 1/2 tons of heating pellets already and still have 1 1/2 inches of ice on my walkways. Oh, and it snowed again today. But the Boston news crew said this is rain. This is not a rant, just life in my little snow globe. We need more real local forecasts. Sorry, this was not intended to offend. Regarding Johnny Appleseed: according to one Massachusetts city nearby, Johnny is from there. They even named a school after him.

Sunny and 39 this afternoon . So getting interested in doing some garden / tree stuff . Made a hot callus pipe for grafting nut trees . They say it helps . I have terrible results field grafting nuts . 2 takes in 30 years and one died back . I know most of you do not graft trees but I needed to talk .

mY FIL is quite good at grafting, but I know mostly he does fruit trees. He has/has had nut trees, not sure if they were grafted by him, but I recall they were shorter, as if on a certain root stock. He would sometimes get a new variety via the midnight horticulture supply...cutting off a branch from a tree near a road and grafting it - story I heard from his younger years.

good luck

Sunny and 39 this afternoon . So getting interested in doing some garden / tree stuff . Made a hot callus pipe for grafting nut trees . They say it helps . I have terrible results field grafting nuts . 2 takes in 30 years and one died back . I know most of you do not graft trees but I needed to talk .
I like to graft! I like to air layer too.... but I have not done either in awhile. Kind of tough business in Illinois. I wouldn't take it too personal. ;)

Last edited:
My chickens are sooo bad! I was working on the railing and the chickens were keeping my feet company like they like to do... silly chickens... when I become aware of this non stop pecking. You know how they can go after things...? I glance down and see them just going after my Ti plant. The little humbugs!!! They completely stripped the bark off of it. Doubt it will survive that but I can cut it back and it will start back up and I start a cutting from what's left too. I wanted to clean up and freshen up my front planters when I finished with the deck... But my goodness... BAD CHICKENS!!! They are so grounded back to the run!!!
20200218_125541.jpg
20200218_125625.jpg

Back
Top Bottom