What did you do in the garden today?

BReeder!

Free Ranging
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone here have any experience planting appleseeds? My specific question is: once I plant the seed in a pot and it grows, how long does it take for it to grow strong enough to be transplanted into their permanent location? Is it a whole year or a couple months? Either doesn’t bother me, I’m just trying to mentally prepare.

(I’m not planting appleseeds for fruit, but more for the trees since I love trees).
I think you could transplant once it's several inches tall. About 8 weeks probably. Protect it with some wire mesh for the first few years.

hysop

Songster
Sep 16, 2019
Southwest Georgia
I think you could transplant once it's several inches tall. About 8 weeks probably. Protect it with some wire mesh for the first few years.
Cool thank you! The internet wasn't specific about it so it confused me, so thank you I shall wait 8 weeks and go from there. It helps when I have deadlines and ending points or I go crazy with impatience.

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium member
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning gardeners. @karenerwin great news for your mom, I'll bet she's really happy to be home! @BReeder! I hope you enjoy your trip to AZ, we're having great weather right now. Not much new in the garden, a few more sprouts but no jalapenos yet:hitIf they don't sprout by this weekend I'll put in a few more seeds. Have a great day everyone.

Wee Farmer Sarah

Free Ranging
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morning gardeners. Just waiting for the predicted snow to start flying. I'm supposed to go the senior center today for some time away from the chickens, but need to see how hard the snow flies. I was able to let the chickens out for about an hour yesterday. It does help with their stress level. I got the pellet stove all cleaned up. The temps are supposed to climb to mid to uppers 40's this weekend so it seems like that would be a good time to prune the fruit trees. I put the pellet stove ash around the peach tree. The soil where it is planted is acidic. My neighbor's husband planted blueberry bushes along the property line near where the peach tree is and the blueberries do quite well for not getting any attention. Since my neighbor, who is a very sweet older woman, wants nothing to do with the bushes, I don't think it's a problem to amend the soil to accommodate my peach tree. Has anyone grown microgreens indoors in the winter? I got an article from the Old Farmer's Almanac regarding this. I have heard of this for years, never tried it myself. Just curious if anyone else has had success with it. Nice to hear your mother is back home @karenerwin. I'm sure she is thrilled to be in familiar surroundings. Have a great day everyone.

Farmdog267

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Montgomery County Pa
Good morning everyone. Somewhat cloudy here but I'm surprised it isn't raining yet. Though the weather guess people say it isn't going to be all that much rain today so hoping they get that right. We are still fairly soaked from last weeks rain. Hoping the forecast for the weekend stays on point as it looks wonderful the mid to end of February with highs in the 50's both days.

Wee Farmer Sarah

Free Ranging
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morning everyone. Somewhat cloudy here but I'm surprised it isn't raining yet. Though the weather guess people say it isn't going to be all that much rain today so hoping they get that right. We are still fairly soaked from last weeks rain. Hoping the forecast for the weekend stays on point as it looks wonderful the mid to end of February with highs in the 50's both days.
Not snowing here yet either. Very clever, “weather guess people” I love it. So appropriate. :celebrate

WthrLady

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
You all know I'm a meteorologist, right?

Apple seeds need a chill period, kept moist and in the dark and cold. After that germination can take up to 12 weeks before you see anything.

80% of apples grown from need are inedible, we call them tossers. Only wildlife will eat them they're so terrible. But since you said you just wanted the trees.

hysop

Songster
Sep 16, 2019
Southwest Georgia
You all know I'm a meteorologist, right?

Apple seeds need a chill period, kept moist and in the dark and cold. After that germination can take up to 12 weeks before you see anything.

80% of apples grown from need are inedible, we call them tossers. Only wildlife will eat them they're so terrible. But since you said you just wanted the trees.
Here are my apple seeds. I kinda forgot about them in the refrigerator (more like procrastinated). I’m hoping they’ll still survive when I pot them which I will barely be doing today. If not, well at least I know I can get them to this point haha and will try again.

FDD798A5-FBC4-48D0-B2C4-C63CF6C3872F.jpeg

Top Bottom