What did you do in the garden today?

It's an additional piece that clips on to the bottom. Instead of using just a board on the bottom of the hive, you put on this addition. It only has a 1/4inch wire mesh bottom which you line with leaves and twigs and then pine shavings/mulch. It's three inches of debris. Then the active hive is on top of that. It mimics the inside of a dead hollow log. Bee beneficial insects take up residence in this mulch and help with mites, predatory bugs, bee droppings, dead bees et. It allows air to flow, but not draft and helps control moisture since it breathes.

It is AWESOME!
Wow! That does sound awesome!! I have never heard of that idea before.

OH ya, she looks THRILLED>
If looks could kill... :mad:
#2-
Both have fuzzy legs! :D:D:D Good. Brahm's are my favorite. Shhhh! Don't tell the others....
20200221_165047.jpg

It was very cold today, but it got just above freezing at the high. I got out there and dug 9 holes with a power auger for our new garden fence and set posts in the ground and attached the top rail for good measure to keep the posts lined up. I need to set 2 more posts, but there's currently old shorter posts in those spots right now and they were not budging. I'll need to dig them out with a shovel once the ground is fully thawed. On Sunday, I'll place two more sets of rails along with some wire mesh. I will tray to finish demoing the old fence too and build the gates (or salvage the old gates if possible).

I didn't get the tiller out there today, but it would be nice if I can get it out there on Sunday and till the ground a first time to kill he grass in the new area of the garden.

I'll likely till again once I get a load of compost. I don't have enough of my own, so for the new garden area I'm relying on somebody a few miles away who has a huge pile of barn clean out that is mostly horse, donkey, goat and chicken manure mixed with a lot of straw. I got some from him last year. It wasn't very finished. It was rather dry which I think was the problem. It worked well though after being incorporated into the soil. Let's hope it works again this year. I'll probably try to get a small trailer full in a few weeks when his pile is not frozen.

Good morning gardeners. Congratulations @TropicalBabies and of course Razzi. Spring is definitely on the way. We're getting bear warnings for the next few days. What fun! It's too soon to take pictures, but my leeks are sprouting. So the potting mix hasn't confused it yet. I did a "look around" at my starting supplies and I just need to buy some more starter "peat" pots. The ones that look like egg cartons. But back to the leeks, apparently the seeds are good for more than one season. As far as the weather here, it only got down to 21F last night with highs forecasted into the low 40's, with Sunday and Monday in the upper 40's. Yay! I really need several warm days to melt this ice pack in the back yard. Today is grocery shopping day and tomorrow laundry and pruning fruit trees. I would love to see your peach tree @karenerwin. I need to get creative with shaping my little dwarf peach tree because it doesn't resemble anything I have seen on the pruning videos. The apple trees should be fairly easy, they have a good shape already. Not much else going on, one of my Peace Lilies is blooming, my Norfolk pine has new growth coming in on the branches and my little Bay Laurel "tree" is doing well. The rosemary plants are doing well also. Stay warm and have a great day everyone.

Last summer, I tried to grow a sweet potato,,,,, just for the foliage in a pot. I buried it, and watered it,,,,,, and NOTHING HAPPENED.:hit Gave it a month.
I threw it out, but before I did, looked at it. Nothing happened to it when it was buried in soil. :idunno
I don't think farmers sprout their sweet potato starts in jars.:(
Then lucky me
20200222_114129.jpg

Back
Top Bottom