What did you do in the garden today?

Forgot a couple of pics
20200408_143418_HDR.jpg
20200408_143453.jpg

K. Sorry to be a pest. I must have missed some of this discussion. ..
So you pick flowers, put in water.... and ?????!!! What else are you adding and how is this said to taste? I have never seen or heard of (tropics go figure lol) and find it absolutely fascinating. We have those plants up Koke'e and I just may be lucky enough to follow your lead. Thank you for any more thoughts or experiences you want to share. :D

Really? How do you make it? Pour the syrup over the flowers and let steep?
Close. pick the flowers, pour boiling water over the flowers. Let the "tea" steep. (I've read any where from 2 hours to 24 hours, 24 hours seems to be the most common). Then strain out the flowers from the liquid. Mix in the lemon juice 2 TBSP vs 1/4 cup vs juice from large lemon. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Add sugar (any where from 3 1/2 cups to 4 cups sugar) and pectin( I seen 1 box and another called for 2 boxes), return to a hard boil. Boil 1 minute. Can in prepared jars. Water bath 10 minutes.
This is my first time trying it.

Close. pick the flowers, pour boiling water over the flowers. Let the "tea" steep. (I've read any where from 2 hours to 24 hours, 24 hours seems to be the most common). Then strain out the flowers from the liquid. Mix in the lemon juice 2 TBSP vs 1/4 cup vs juice from large lemon. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Add sugar (any where from 3 1/2 cups to 4 cups sugar) and pectin( I seen 1 box and another called for 2 boxes), return to a hard boil. Boil 1 minute. Can in prepared jars. Water bath 10 minutes.
Thanks so much Karen, I'm excited to give it a try.

Oh that sound great and will add shade for you too. It really is a pretty plant, hardy (yes to rich soil) and produces MANY seeds in the finished fruit if you are not planning to eat. Easy to seed also. I can not remember what time of year i planted mine... thinking probably spring. Fast grower and fruiter. Bet you could pull it off. I just planted my old seeds last week... better get my arbor built soon lol.
I just let it climb up my chain link fence onto some long wood sticks. I think the thing I like about it most is that it doesnt require much "training" to climb like cukes do. Plus the flowers are really pretty

Oh yes, please do! My grandson would love to make it. What do you use it for? Anything that calls for simple syrup?
So you pick flowers, put in water.... and ?????!!! What else are you adding and how is this said to taste? I have never seen or heard of (tropics go figure lol) and find it absolutely fascinating. We have those plants up Koke'e and I just may be lucky enough to follow your lead. Thank you for any more thoughts or experiences you want to share. :D

Just make sure you use wild violets and not African Violets!!!
They say it taste like spring. :lau So, who knows. I know it is supposed to be a light flavor. Use it like jelly ( unless it doesn't set up, then use it like syrup :confused:).
They did warn not to gorge on it, it is supposed to have "a mild laxative property" ( as well as good for respiratory problems).
Google just said great source of vitamins A, C, and E. Lymphatic cleanser, antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Another site adds that they" are also known to strengthen the immune system and reduce inflammation. Violets eaten or taken as a tea can help soothe colds, sinus infections, and other respiratory conditions"
I don't know about the validity of any of these claims!!!!

Back
Top Bottom