What did you do in the garden today?

Afternoon everyone. Not to much going on in the garden today, everything's looking good though. I am sick of the turkeys hanging out & knocking all the berries off my blueberry bush so I made a cage for the 2 blueberry & gooseberry bushes. A carpenter I am not! I'm hoping the turkeys don't think I built them a roost. :lau
IMG_20200530_154327115_HDR.jpg

So I cut the chive flowers a couple weeks ago & stuck them in a vase, they bloomed & are still so pretty!
IMG_20200529_153511893.jpg

Ya I have my perrenial herbs I love so much chives garlic on one, onion the other ...
Rosemary.. mint, lavender basil and sage could go on and on .. love cooking with fresh
I agree, love my herbs! Not happy with the mint though, whatever variety I got last year has NO flavor.

Well silkies only roam their way off to die to stupidity, like brooding under a chained dog or something.
OMG you made me try to breathe my tea! :lau
At least they are small Veliciporaptors.... 😬 scary!
Our two easter eggers definitely look at me like they are sizing up their next kill.
I am pretty much finished with the baby coop.
Pics when it's complete?
I used a new spray on sunscreen that was so sticky I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin. It was STILL sticky after mowing. I looked like a lawn monster with all the windrow clippings stuck to me. It was even hard to wash off! $12 down the drain as I am tossing that can immediately.
What brand so the rest of us can avoid it?
It seems that over the years it was easier to buy new, than to go to a storage unit, crawl in an attic, or root through boxes to find what I needed. Long story short, I have HUNDREDS of quart jars. I preserve food, but good glory!!!!
I have to ask, how do you store your jars? I only have a few boxes so far but storage is a pain.

It's raining! First time in a week I haven't had to drag the hose around. (3/4" 100' hose is nice but really heavy!) Not sure if we'll get enough to fill the rain barrels but I hope so. Other than critter maintenance, no work outside today. I got drenched picking the snap peas and gold chard for the stir fry. Making a huge batch of stir fry with ground pork. The rice cooker just sang the "I'm done" song. Love that machine, it'll keep that rice fresh and fluffy for hours.

So since today will be an inside day, I'm going to get started on my garden journal. This year I've done so much more in the garden and I've never had a greenhouse before, so I've learned so much this year (that means I've made a lot of mistakes).

OMG you made me try to breathe my tea! :lau

Our two easter eggers definitely look at me like they are sizing up their next kill.

Pics when it's complete?

What brand so the rest of us can avoid it?

I have to ask, how do you store your jars? I only have a few boxes so far but storage is a pain.

It's raining! First time in a week I haven't had to drag the hose around. (3/4" 100' hose is nice but really heavy!) Not sure if we'll get enough to fill the rain barrels but I hope so. Other than critter maintenance, no work outside today. I got drenched picking the snap peas and gold chard for the stir fry. Making a huge batch of stir fry with ground pork. The rice cooker just sang the "I'm done" song. Love that machine, it'll keep that rice fresh and fluffy for hours.

So since today will be an inside day, I'm going to get started on my garden journal. This year I've done so much more in the garden and I've never had a greenhouse before, so I've learned so much this year (that means I've made a lot of mistakes).
I have those heavy duty black and grey shelves that snap together from menards. They're plastic but hold some crazy weights. I put cardboard on the shelves and my canned good and jars go on them. Empty jars on separate shelves stored open end down. When they were in storage they were wrapped in newsprint and put in those black plastic bins with the yellow lids.

I found that Sea and Ski is being made again, although not widely sold. I LOVED the lemon smell of that in the 80s. It is now in a spray can. It's doesn't smell the same and is sticky like GLUE.

Ya I have my perrenial herbs I love so much chives garlic on one, onion the other ...
Rosemary.. mint, lavender basil and sage could go on and on .. love cooking with fresh
I'm with you, I been able to have railing planters with at least my favorite herbs next to my kitchen. Just lucked out.
I agree, love my herbs! Not happy with the mint though, whatever variety I got last year has NO flavor.
I've had reliable tarragon plants that had grown from a previous year's root go tastless. Very disappointing.

My must haves are: basil, tarragon, rosemary, and Italian parsley.

:gig
Need to pickup Insulin for BF Doc got it called in .. So had impressive Thunder this morning
woke me up seems to all passed now
Here too! Rolled me right out of bed this morning! Getting a good soaking rain today. Last two days were very warm and I didn’t water anything so I got lucky. Now after this rain will be a bumper crop of slugs and snails.

My absolute is Dill. I love it, it reminds me of my grandma!
Thanks for the reminder to plant some dill. I’ve discovered that in my garden if I plant it when I plant the cucumbers I’ll have some for pickles. If you can find a store that carries fresh dill it’s crazy expensive!

Back
Top Bottom