What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. I planted flowers in the front yard garden yesterday. I bought one dahlia and planted it where I planted the tubers, hoping it will give some incentive to the tubers to grow. I also got my bell peppers planted finally. We never got any rain at all so I watered the main vegetable garden and the other backyard gardens this morning. I will be dragging the hose to the front and give everything a good drink. My endive is growing well and I may pick a few leaves of that tomorrow morning. The peas are only a third of the way up on their ropes. Such a late start to the garden it seems like everything is in slow motion. Except for the potatoes. I still need to mound some more dirt and straw on them. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any work on the little coop today. The humidity is awful. It's cooling down tomorrow with way less humidity so that may be a better plan. I know I owe you some pictures @TropicalBabies, I won't forget. Have a great day everyone.

Well, Look at that! It will be officially HOT here!

View attachment 2178304

No laughing from those in the SW, such as @igorsMistress, or HI @TropicalBabies and any others on here from really hot areas. It will be humid too. But after the extended wintery spring, I'm happy.

No garden news, really - it rained, YAY!

One chick we hatched needed to be put down bc it had a severe leg issue we could not improve. The other one with very mild splay leg improved within a day and is walking great, just needed a little support at first. Then there is one more that has moderate splay leg that seems to be improving, but we think it may have an additional issue with its foot joint. They are so small it is hard to tell for sure, so we are giving it time to improve. The two with splay legs look to be from the same egg/breed of mom (maybe eggs were from the same mom). Otherwise, they are all very active and eating and drinking and sleeping with the gusto of typical chicks! I need to post some pics of all of them.

Here is the one with mild splay legs and had moderately curled/not spread-out feet. If addressed early, can usually fix or improve that issue. Here he/she is with mildly sticky tape keeping the toes flat and spread out like they should be. After a day the toes looked improved, although not perfect. It also has the splay leg brace on (a rubber band and straw contraption), but isn't able to be seen in this pic.

View attachment 2178323
It's all relative. We would be no good in the cold or snow I assure you!
@igorsMistress the bunny told his friends about my garden 😂 we just spotted a new one. Dogs went bananas.
I knew that would happen, the first guy was the scout 🤭

It's all relative. We would be no good in the cold or snow I assure you!

I knew that would happen, the first guy was the scout 🤭
They are cute. Most of my leafy greens are on the deck safe. They’re eating just some stuff.

We have lots of wild berries growing all over our property so they love coming here to eat them.

Good morning gardeners. I tried out the sprinkler yesterday, works great so I don't have to stand around holding the hose to water the grass Not doing anything outside today I think, but I might make a trip to HD for a few bags of soil for the new garden bed. I'm thinking about this raised bed stuff I found which has worked well in other areas for me, just not sure of price. It's breezy and cool right now with expected high temp in the mid 90s today. We got up to 107 yesterday and had enough of a sprinkle to make a mess last night so off to water stuff. Have a great day all!

They are cute. Most of my leafy greens are on the deck safe. They’re eating just some stuff.

We have lots of wild berries growing all over our property so they love coming here to eat them.
They really are adorable! I would let them eat too lol.

Back from the auction. 18 chicks sold for $1.75 each. Not too bad considering they were not identified as any breed, and it all depends on who is there wanting to bid.

Here is a pic of some of them:

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 1.12.06 PM.png

Also, here is the leg brace we used to help with splay leg:
a small piece of straw, and a small rubber band. It is knotted a couple of times to make it short enough. Notice it is not tight - it is just to keep the legs from splaying too far apart. Seems to work pretty well with mild to moderate splay leg.
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 1.11.38 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom