What did you do in the garden today?

Just walked the garden. THe tops snapped off two tomato plants. I must have missed tying them up. I lost a couple of side branches here and there. The fence on one side is pushed in, the concrete posts are fine it was the cross pieces and the fact I used the wind screen. Without it though, I would have lost every plant in there. I just need to add a couple of steel posts to shorten the horizontal span

88 and 70 dp. drier out than earlier this week, but gross out my normal human standards

Living up on this hill can be physically and emotionally draining.
I know my friend that lost the silo is a mess today.
Just as soon as you feel like you might be catching up, not even getting ahead, just catching up, slam.....ugh.

Morning all. Finally the weekend (I don't work Fridays)!

Nice pics @karenerwin, thanks for sharing. Those caterpillars were neat looking, I wonder what they were. My chickens would be scared of them. :he

I turned the fan on in the coop & they all wanted to sleep outside last night cuz it's so scary...every time. :barnie I was annoyed & stuffed em all in the pop door, they froze right there & I just kept piling them on top of each other, LOL.

I have figs!!
IMG_20200709_114048492.jpg

My parent stopped over yesterday to grab some yellow squash. I still have so much, gonna try a casserole with it tonight I think.

I'm heading out now to dig up a garlic & see how it's doing. We have a tropical storm coming apparently (gosh I haven't watched the news in days!), flash flood warnings are out. I think it's all a bit of hype so I watered the garden a little this am. :gigI don't think we're gonna get nearly what they say so that's my way to guarantee we get a deluge. Ha! The cukes couldn't wait another day for water.

Have a great day all!

Garden is doing well! But I have a mystery - maybe you can help me solve.

I have many plants on my deck - some peppers and some tomatoes and some strawberries. ONE pepper plant has been denuded of leaves. But it is surrounded by other pepper plants that are fine - no leaf loss. What could have done this?

Here is the bulk of the plants on the deck with the denuded one circled:

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 8.53.43 AM.png

Here is a closeup of that pepper plant.
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 8.54.24 AM.png

I found one lone green grasshopper (small size) a few plants over. But no other bugs.

Good morning gardeners. I'm waiting for that same tropical system to start dumping on us later today @Sueby. Great to see you have figs as well. No work in the garden yesterday, too gosh darn hot and humid. I did get my car inspected finally. Yay for that. Aside from breakfast, the only cooking that occurred in my kitchen yesterday was reducing basalmic vinegar for my watermelon salad. Too easy. The recipe usually calls for feta cheese, but that's too salty for me so I use goat cheese, mint, watermelon cubes and the vinegar reduction. That and a loosely put together ham on sourdough sandwich makes a great summer time dinner. This morning I picked more peas and green beans. I picked my first yellow squash and some dill. There's another zucchini that will be ready in a day or two. I may actually freeze some of the peas because I'm starting to get backed up with veggies. The first of the Hungarian peppers will be picked either today or tomorrow. Two of them are quite big, can't wait to taste them. I was excited to see little cucumbers developing today. There are a few tiny jalapenos forming on one of my plants. I can't wait to restock my hot peppers. I have no idea what could be going on with that plant other than perhaps a cat thinks it's fun to rip the leaves off @Acre4Me. Sorry. Have a great day everyone.

Bird house gourd plants
bird house gourd plants.JPG

Hungararian Wax Peppers (a few days ago)

hungarian peppers.JPG

Baby cukes! AKA: future pickles
baby cukes.JPG

I turned the fan on in the coop & they all wanted to sleep outside last night cuz it's so scary...every time. :barnie I was annoyed & stuffed em all in the pop door, they froze right there & I just kept piling them on top of each other, LOL.
OMG that is exactly what I did when I was "training" the pullets to go into the coop at night! It was funny then and it's funny now (it was like bailing water with a tea cup)! :gig
Here is a closeup of that pepper plant.
I have a bunch of weedy looking peppers and a few that look okay. I know they are going to break my heart but seeing your healthy ones give me hope.
The recipe usually calls for feta cheese, but that's too salty for me so I use goat cheese, mint, watermelon cubes and the vinegar reduction. That and a loosely put together ham on sourdough sandwich makes a great summer time dinner.
Dang, I've never had watermelon salad but it's my new favorite. I have a grocery pick up at Walmart today but I might run into Fred's with my mask on and get some ham and watermelon.

Just got done feeding and watering critters and got to get busy on the watering. Have a great day everyone!

OMG that is exactly what I did when I was "training" the pullets to go into the coop at night! It was funny then and it's funny now (it was like bailing water with a tea cup)! :gig
I have a bunch of weedy looking peppers and a few that look okay. I know they are going to break my heart but seeing your healthy ones give me hope.
Dang, I've never had watermelon salad but it's my new favorite. I have a grocery pick up at Walmart today but I might run into Fred's with my mask on and get some ham and watermelon.

Just got done feeding and watering critters and got to get busy on the watering. Have a great day everyone!
If you make the balsamic reduction, don’t breathe in over the cook pot. It will give your nose a start. LOL.

Good afternoon gardeners. Everyone's gardens are looking so great! I'm sorry about all your damage @WthrLady Whenever you talk about the wind there I always remember the Santa Ana's in SoCal when I was young. I didn't really do much in the garden today, instead I focused on my chickens. We lowered the roost quite a bit and removed a temporary add on when chicken math got me. I found the flock wading in their pools when we went out to get started.
20200710_121126_HDR_(1).jpg

I got the Mosquito Barrier in the mail the other day, going to spray the yards tonight so everything will get a little bit of water anyway. I have 3 out of 6 shipped eggs left in my incubator. I saw movement in all of them so keeping my fingers crossed they all hatch. It's going to be really hot today so I gave the chickens a cucumber, they were on it before I even put the halves down
20200710_122226_HDR.jpg

I'm headed out to pull the glads and check on things in the shade garden. Have a great day all.

Thank you so much! I have some that are much smaller since they were planted much later so I should have a staggered crop.
Yum! Especially scones with melted butter and raspberry jam...mmmm
I have a few okra! Here is one:View attachment 2233618
I'm so excited!

Heh, you caught me, going to wear them again today once I head out again. I'll also be wearing my shabby home-cut jean shorts. :D
Lots of the yellow ones here now too and the fritters sound awesome. All the leftovers from the 4th are eaten so I need to cook again anyway.

Good afternoon gardeners, no rain and likely none from now until September other than a few light misty evenings so I'll be watering just about every day till then or the crop of whatever ends. I have to say I am amazed how long the snap peas are producing, cutting the tops out to keep them from tipping over seems to have really spurred the lower growth and production. The strawberries are starting to color up and we've about eaten all the raspberries. Some friends with mature bushes are going to bring us some of theirs. Can't wait! The blueberry bushes are so young that there are only a few ripe berries and I'm still waiting on the gooseberries to get ripe.

Have a few more tomatoes to stake, I did thin out some of the suckers and crazy growth. My carrots are not impressive but the radishes look nice. Here's the current view of the planting deck:
View attachment 2233687
I'm going to have to take out the marigold I planted in the middle of a big pot of peppers, it's turned into a monster and taken over the pot.

Has anyone ever canned kale or other greens? Is it possible? I have a ton of delicious kale but we can only eat so many and I hate giving so much of it to the chickens (who dearly love it). It's just that when I cook it, it cooks down a lot like spinach and I can't see how that would work for canning. Kale chips are delicious but again you can only eat so many and they tend to pick up moisture from the air and lose that crispy texture. Time to hit the internet I guess.

Oh and here's my dill (and my crazy kale too) and a native campanula we transplanted from the old house.
View attachment 2233708
View attachment 2233710
The campanula is so happy, it's finally getting what it wanted for years. I have some seedlings so we'll hope to get a good clump of them going eventually.

Have a great day everyone!
You can buy spinach frozen. Maybe a quick blanching and then drain and freeze in baggies or cubes would work.

Back
Top Bottom