What did you do in the garden today?

Your Brahama is cockerel, black one maybe a sex link
Actually had small amount of rain here first in like 35 days .. not allot but any is great in my book
He's a pretty boy in my book, but different coloration than he should have I think. I have a few boy suspects, so it will be interesting to see who gets to stay. That one doesn't act particularly male, but they are late bloomers. The dark one does. Somebody is already clucking to the girls for treats. Guess the brahmas would make large babies if I want any meat birds later.

I ordered 14 assorted rare females, 4 adopt me late hatchers, and one meal maker. Unless they sexed more wrong than average, some of my adoptees were boys and the little runt, so black sex link is unlikely, plus my previous black sex links have had some red around the neck. She had some fuzzy cheeks compared to others, and still had some whispy feathers around her face at this point. Maybe black split to lavender orpington, still some Easter egger mix, or black maran? I don't think she has enough of a muff for ameraucana.
Here she is as a day old. Thanks!
20200624_090422.jpg
20200624_090416_HDR.jpg

Edited to re-correct autocorrect. Whisky feathers.....

Last edited:
My sad news is that my mom is going to be evaluated for Hospice tomorrow. I believe she is ready. She has gotten so weak she can hardly even sit up much less do anything else. She is also in almost constant pain ( yes, she has pain meds). She has pretty much stopped eating and only rarely answers her phone anymore (and never calls anyone). I will meet with the hospice worker at 4:00 in the parking lot since this pandemic keeps me from being able to go in the facility.

Oh Crap girl I am there there has to be a point they let you in dammit
that is you kin!

My sad news is that my mom is going to be evaluated for Hospice tomorrow. I believe she is ready. She has gotten so weak she can hardly even sit up much less do anything else. She is also in almost constant pain ( yes, she has pain meds).
Hospice care is heaven sent. They will evaluate your mother's needs and see to it she is not in pain. DP and I have worked with them 3 times for my mother, her dad and the sweet lady who finally passed at 102 years old that DP was caring for. I'm so sorry it has come to this point but hospice will be a huge help to your mother and to you.
I'd say our country is burning down the way some wanted. Yes, you are going to hear some complaints, it would be remiss as Americans if we did not. These are embarrassing times and I am old enough to remember Nixon.
Same here and I work hard to not let myself obsess on what we as a nation have come to. My community is mostly very conservative and we want to get along with our neighbors so we simply don't ever talk about politics or religion either for that matter.
Cut off that small part and affixed some metal tape to cover the wound. Figured it was worth a shot. We've saved quite a few split stems, etc with duct tape.
That is an amazing solution to a problem! :clap
Anywho, that is the haps in my tiny bubble. Stay well all, love the photos and the dirt stained fingers
You are such a good soul. Wish we were in closer proximity, though as things currently are that wouldn't work either would it? :)

The fishing was pretty slow yesterday but it was a lovely day to sit on the dock, eat sandwiches and cookies, drink coffee, bs, and casually fish. Had the fish for lunch today along with a veggie mix of broccoli, shallots, okra, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes. The first 3 ingredients were grown here and the fish we caught ourselves. A while yet till we have anything ripe other than some of the cherry tomatoes.

Watering and critters are seen to for the day. I replaced a couple leaking chicken waterers with those auto filling waterers. The chickens were fascinated when they filled themselves. I love those birds, when I bring them a bunch of fresh kale, they jump and grab at it like kids with cotton candy.

That borage compost tea I made looks to be a winner. The carrots I had planted in a fabric bag hadn't been growing much (likely not enough fertilizer) have put on noticeable growth again after I used the tea on them. I still have crazy borage growth even after starting another bucket so I'll be starting a couple more. I need to run to the local hardware store for more 5 gallon lids. I wonder if I can do the same thing using unfinished compost from the bin? Anyway, the borage version is definitely worth doing and the live blooming borage is such a huge pollinator magnet it's just a win win.

I hadn't thought of using fresh peppers. Thanks! I guess a person could whirl some in a blender with lots of water and use it as a spray too.
I was going to dry it into a powder, fresh pepper would likely rot and break down rapidly. The spray idea is even better... glad you suggested it.

Back
Top Bottom