What did you do in the garden today?

Today in the Garden, I did a lot of watering because it had been a few days since any plants received water... then it rained lol. I picked a lot of red cayenne peppers. I grow these every year even though I do not grow anything else in normal times. Can't get these peppers in the store and I grow them so well. Most years I pick them green because I eat so many of them so fast. This year I have so many other garden Veggie to eat that I wasn't keeping up on Cayenne Peppers and I am starting to get red ones which I love. I picked some Cucumbers and Tomatoes too, I am picking them faster than I can eat them now. So I started fermenting them. I planted a few more Bok Choy stumps and Onion bottoms from the Kitchen... sometimes they root and sprout sometimes they do not.

I also picked a Carolina Reaper that had turned red which means I processed a chicken tonight. I have about 5 Orange ones now so in a the next couple of days I will have to process 5 chickens. I freeze the bone Carcasses after removing the breast meat from the bones and leg/wing meats with 1 Carolina Reaper so when I make Broth I have a Reaper ready to make the broth sting just a little.

Yup, that's where the term "Craftsman House" came from. The house we sold in Portland predated those but it was also a house that a bunch of guys just got together and built. In our case, that meant no two doors were the same size. :)
Haha, ours was built in 1945, and we're pretty sure it is two Sears kits put together. Halfway down the hall is a little 1" jog where the two pieces don't quite meet accurately.
Oh well, all the utilities are recent, it suits our needs for just the two of us, and the property it sits on is perfect.

Good morning gardeners. I had to go into Boston yesterday for annual CT scan and bloodwork. This morning I picked a zucchini, two small bell peppers and surprisingly 2 cucumbers. I guess my cuke bandit is still digesting the big one he ate a few days ago. I did get the weed whacking done in the big garden the day before yesterday. Trying to decide whether to plant kale or chard where I had the peas. I dug and pulled one of my potato plants that was turning yellow and found only one tiny potato knob. However, I did notice how dry the soil is so I will need to do some heavy watering on the remaining plants to hopefully get some potatoes from them. Cooler temps today so the plan is to weed whack the front yard, then mow either the front or backyard. Tomorrow is another good yard work day as well. I stopped at a local farm stand on my way home yesterday and picked up 3 pounds of pickling cukes for $3. At least I can get one batch of pickles made. I did notice more cherry tomatoes ripening this morning. I'll give them another day on the vine. Love the pictures of the little Post Office buildings. There was one in a neighborhood I lived in years ago in Maryland. However, really old buildings aren't much of a rarity on the East Coast especially in the original 13 colonies. We have houses here that date back to the 1600's. The house I sold before moving into this one was built in 1890. Although the summer squash are coming in slowly, I still have a small stockpile. I'm trying out a zucchini brownie recipe today I down loaded from the king arthur flour website. Can't wait. Sorry you are going through such a difficult time @karenerwin. Sending hugs to you. :hugs Have a great day everyone.

Harvested 6 more Butternuts (already harvested the small one a couple weeks ago). This from one plant, which is producing two more that are currently growing on the vine. Yes, I'm impressed!
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.55.31 AM.png

"Crystal Apple" cucumber. They seem to be resistant to the wilt infection that other cucumbers succumb to, however, we find these slightly bitter.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.55.44 AM.png

Pole beans - starting to reach the top of the 10ft tall trellis!
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.55.56 AM.png

Compost bins have been turned back into compost bins (any new posters, two of these bins were temporarily converted to chicken pens). So, I turned over the old compost into the middle compost bin - It is looking nice and dark, but not yet fully decomposed. Surprisingly, as I was turning it over, a family of little mice popped out and were running around the bottom the new bin. Alas, they are pests so they no longer need to find dinner. Once it was all moved over, I put lots of garden junk in the fresh pile on the left.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.56.09 AM.png

We will heat up this bed to try to get rid of week seeds, bugs. So, clear plastic covering through August - which will create a hot and steamy greenhouse effect. However, we only had this much plastic, so I need to buy more.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.56.24 AM.png

Gourds. So impressed with the size of the leaves of the one gourd type. There are 4 types in the picture.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.56.41 AM.png

"Trombone" butternut, getting larger and I gave it a wooden platform to try to ease off the stress from the weight.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.56.53 AM.png

New baby "Trombone" is growing well! This one is one the ground!
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.57.01 AM.png

Harvested 6 more Butternuts (already harvested the small one a couple weeks ago). This from one plant, which is producing two more that are currently growing on the vine. Yes, I'm impressed!View attachment 2280138

"Crystal Apple" cucumber. They seem to be resistant to the wilt infection that other cucumbers succumb to, however, we find these slightly bitter. View attachment 2280139

Pole beans - starting to reach the top of the 10ft tall trellis!
View attachment 2280140

Compost bins have been turned back into compost bins (any new posters, two of these bins were temporarily converted to chicken pens). So, I turned over the old compost into the middle compost bin - It is looking nice and dark, but not yet fully decomposed. Surprisingly, as I was turning it over, a family of little mice popped out and were running around the bottom the new bin. Alas, they are pests so they no longer need to find dinner. Once it was all moved over, I put lots of garden junk in the fresh pile on the left. View attachment 2280141

We will heat up this bed to try to get rid of week seeds, bugs. So, clear plastic covering through August - which will create a hot and steamy greenhouse effect. However, we only had this much plastic, so I need to buy more. View attachment 2280142

Gourds. So impressed with the size of the leaves of the one gourd type. There are 4 types in the picture.
View attachment 2280143

"Trombone" butternut, getting larger and I gave it a wooden platform to try to ease off the stress from the weight.

View attachment 2280144

New baby "Trombone" is growing well! This one is one the ground!
View attachment 2280145

Everything looks lovely @Acre4Me. That’s a lot of squash. Yum! 🙂

Absolutely beautiful @acre , fantastically successful and way to work it!
Welcome back @Sueby ! Wow, what an adventure!!! I hope all makes it back to "normal" soon. :p :love

Happy aloha Friday all!!!!

No gardening for me. I put the now 7 chicks out in the garden box early this morning. It should make them more friendly knowing when they see me I am taking them on an adventure instead of just the scary head who feeds and waters them.
DH and I did make it out on our walk yesterday a little later than planned. We had some nice cloud cover to take the edge off of the heat, thank goodness. I had someone coming for some chicks later so we only had a few hours to adventure. It was good for the mind, heart and soul forsure and a reminder to make happy adventures part of our weeks work too.
The destination, 7 miles down the road to Mana (muh nah) and a walk back in time.
These photos also are looking over some of the new alfalfa fields (ex corn seed co/sugarcane/swampland)
20200806_143633 (2).jpg
20200806_144023 (2).jpg

and the cliffs of Polihale (poh lee ha lee)
There used to be a whole plantation community of mostly immigrants living here "back in the day", a few of them were my great grandfather, grandfather and father in law.
20200806_143945 (2).jpg

Jungle fowl
20200806_144227 (2).jpg

I just took a random photo of the old ditch and mango forest planted by the old plantation workers many, many, many years ago and did not realize i was getting photo bombed... see it? I did not at the time lol.
20200806_145026.jpg
Elliott taking advantage of the water brought down from the mountains. He can make almost anything a fun adventure. Just like a kid.
20200806_151542.jpg
20200806_151738(0).jpg

Walking up to the entrance of the Magazine caves. This is where they hid artillery back in WWII. If you look carefully you can still see bunkers up in the hills.
20200806_153655.jpg

Elliot spots a wild goat.
20200806_154103.jpg
20200806_154132.jpg

Our old horse pasture. Too hard to keep the fences with the hunters and all, so back to the wild.
20200806_154810.jpg

K. that was it. Oh, Elliott rolled on a dead chicken on our way out... :sick so I dropped DH and Elliott and the beach with his stick to get the worst of the smell gone. Great way to end it Elliot... :rolleyes: Sorry, no beach photos... whew!
I hope you all get to fit in an adventure for yourselves this weekend.
Stay well, Aloha!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom