What did you do in the garden today?

Good haul today, so much rain this week i took a few tomatoes early bc some were starting to split. 2E0ED228-9BFF-43CE-B97D-A814DAF2E4C3.jpeg

Picked 2 cucumbers, 9 Tomatoes with the chickens getting 2 due to pest issues. Found a package of sunflowers seeds so I planted them here and there just in case we get a late frost. Pulled some weeds, checked on red Cayenne Peppers to see if any are ready for seed harvesting. Noticed Bean pods on the volunteer beans. Chased my 3 ration fed birds out of a garden before they did damage, they managed to get out of their enclosure and walk across the entire yard. I figured if they will do that then I need to up their feed ration a slight bit. They are very fit and hopefully make decent breeders. They follow me around when they get the chance to because they know me as the guy who brings feed. I watched a few of my Bok Choy replants from store bought bok choy bottoms start to shoot up leaves. Might do some more fermenting with the Cucumbers, or eat them tonight... not sure which. When I burped yesterdays ferments I noticed that all of them smelled really nice and now I really want to eat some but I have to wait until they are ready. Maybe I will take some garden pictures to show later. Things are starting to look a little wore out like summer is winding down but the fall garden is starting to bring some joy into my life.

Be nice if We get freeze hard at least a week this year could help to control the fleas
From your lips to God's ears. A few less flies would be nice too.
I'm going to try & read back a little if I can, I miss this place! Have a great day all!
Good to hear from you, take care Sueby!
I stopped at a local farm stand on my way home yesterday and picked up 3 pounds of pickling cukes for $3. At least I can get one batch of pickles made.
That is a great price. My pickling cucumbers haven't broke the soil yet so I might end up buying some for now while I still have plenty of fresh dill.
Compost bins have been turned back into compost bins
I envy your beautiful compost bins as only a gardener could.
I just took a random photo of the old ditch and mango forest planted by the old plantation workers many, many, many years ago and did not realize i was getting photo bombed... see it? I did not at the time lol.
What is that, a pig? It took me forever to find it.
They follow me around when they get the chance to because they know me as the guy who brings feed.
Mine rush to the door of the run when I get near, especially if I'm carrying anything.

The rain we were hoping for was a bust, only about 1/4" or so at the most. So watered the raised beds and fed the critters. I still need to get out there and water the deck. Got to make a path through so I can get to the potted cherry tomatoes. It looks like it's too hot next to the greenhouse for the tomatoes to do well, but they are fruiting faster than the raised bed ones, they just won't last very long.

We had zucchini fritters and braised kale for lunch with enough leftovers for dinner. I'm going to have to find my packet of kale seeds so I can start a new batch, the old ones keep trying to bolt and they aren't regrowing as quickly as they were so it looks like I'm wearing them out. Sooner or later I'll have to bite the bullet and cut them all, fertilize and restart them. The chickens will miss them. :) It's funny, the neighbors never want them, I suspect few people know how to cook them right.

Had to go to Reedsport for an appointment so we stopped at a used appliance place to get a used upright freezer, no luck. They said there were none available due to the virus. That we'd have to wait months. We have 8 rabbits in the grow out cage for another 3 weeks so I figured I'd be looking at canning the meat. However, DP found a nice brand new upright on ebay for 900 delivered so we'll see how it turns out. Someone here in town has a used fridge/freezer we can have for free so we'll get that one too. Can't have too much storage space.

Whelp, my sneaky Lab picked a cantaloupe yesterday evening we got it back from her with only minor damage. It will become a chicken snack for tomorrow. I am going to save some of those seeds from this one as it ripened so late in the season for next year. The vines are back in flower due to the 16 inch Hanna rainfall raising ground water tables so high recently.
Artichokes are still in the hang on for dear life stage but will be ready to bolt over winter. I am thinking once they start that I will be digging them up and putting them into some good soil or a raised bed with good soil. Right now they are in my native soil which is a mostly silt/clay mix.

I took some garden pictures this morning.
IMG_5873.JPG
I wanted to see what color this Pepperchini becomes when it ripens, usually eat these at a light green color.
IMG_5878.JPG
Carolina Reaper. I have about 8 of them turning orange 2 of them actually look red so I process 2 Chickens tonight or tomorrow night.
IMG_5882.JPG
Thai Peppers, look like Cayenne Peppers but they grow erect while Cayenne Peppers hang
IMG_5892.JPG
Hornworm on Tomato plant.
IMG_5901.JPG
Volunteer beans are producing now.
IMG_5903.JPG
Eggplant blooming, for some reason fruits are not setting... Not sure why, I like eggplant but not enough to figure out why, easier to just not grow it again and grow a plant I am motivated to learn about.
IMG_5904.JPG
I like Okra, ate the one in this picture about 10 seconds after I took the picture, I love it raw but it takes up too much space for me to want to grow it again.

Good morning gardeners. @penny1960 I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! I hope you had a great day and that you don't feel any older. I got out to the garden and gave the most critical looking plants some blue juice last night, then finished up in the dark this morning. The 2 bushes in pots both got a good trimming last night, they still had leaves drying out so I hope they can hang on for cooler temps with less foliage to fight for. I also moved them to an area that gets a little more shade. I think the oleanders are going to be ok; that makes me happy because they'll provide deep shade for the concrete wall on the West side of the yard. The heat coming off that thing is ridiculous in the afternoon. I can hear Angus crowing and the coffee is ready. Taking the pups to the park and then going to see my folks today. My mom has been telling me about a butcher she found so we're going to check it out; she says they have excellent beef from Iowa. Enjoy the day all!

Back
Top Bottom