What did you do in the garden today?

That's funny, I always shred cabbage for coleslaw & never noticed a gross smell. I have a horrible sense of smell anyway, but maybe I wasn't shredding nearly enough to notice? Or because it was store bought?

@Wee Farmer Sarah our heatwave started yesterday, I think they're saying 5 or 6 days. :he I'm hiding in the house all week too. When it breaks I'm going to plant some lettuce I think & see how that goes.

@NewBoots - I used to LOVE shake-n-bake! How'd the bunny come out?

morning, just having a break from preparing the ground where i,m going to put chickens .lots of plants have to be removed the only thing really bothering me is the bindweed. got to dig a lge pampas grass up ,
Go Alfie! There were 7 huge ones on our property when we bought it. The contractor had to pull them out with heavy equipment. Nice looking on a golf course, but a pain to remove.
Morning all - I finally woke up to electricity this am! & internet! I have an awful lot to catch up on.
YAY! I'm so glad.
shredding fresh cabbage inside isn't for the faint of heart. Hope you feel better.
Seriously? Is it like @Sueby said and because it's so fresh?
@NewBoots - I used to LOVE shake-n-bake! How'd the bunny come out
Heh, I still do. We're having it for our 1 pm meal since that's normally our big meal of the day. Going to have zucchini with tomatoes and basil as the side dish. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll start the prep once I finish my tea and garden thread. :)
That's funny, I always shred cabbage for coleslaw & never noticed a gross smell. I have a horrible sense of smell anyway, but maybe I wasn't shredding nearly enough to notice? Or because it was store bought?
Yeah I've made coleslaw lots of times but always with store bought cabbage and only about half a head at a time.
make rolled cabbage dinner
Oh I love cabbage rolls, but I'm betting the filling would work great for zucchini boats too. Hmmm...

Watering and critters seen to, and I set a sprinkler going. It'll have to be moved soon, I need to keep at least some green growing grass for the rabbit tractor. Got a few of the bluff plants cleared of grass and weeds and mulched last evening, much nicer time of day for swinging garden tools so I'll probably wait till then to do more of them.

Rescued a little black snake of some kind from Nikkie (aka Naughty Kitty, aka NK) this morning. Just checked it over briefly (didn't want to stress it any further) but it seemed alright. I stashed it under a half sheet of plywood we keep on the bluff. Never saw one like it before. Looked like a garter snake but it was completely black. I'll check later to see if it's still alive and there or not.

Time to start lunch, later all.

Pics were requested.
All chicks remain alive! Ordered all males. Of course sexing errors happen, so maybe there is a female in there somewhere. I currently suspect one of the Silver Spangled Hamburgs is a female...time will tell.

Cute and chatty! Like little human boys, they love to run! They will run the entire length of the brooder, stop and mill about and then all of a sudden 5-6-7 of them are racing back the other direction, the entire length of the brooder! :jumpy They run like this more than any other batch of chicks we have had!

Buttercups have that interesting comb. And it is hard to take a pic of it right now, but there are two rows of straight comb coming out horizontally from the middle flat comb. One chick has a wider flat comb on its head than the other, so the points on each side are farther apart. Will be interesting to see how they grow out.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.16.56 PM.png

We had a male one about 2 years ago - attractive, but slim and flighty. I suspect the darker one might be female based on size and stance and comb is currently smaller/ less wide than the taller/more erect one.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.19.27 PM.png

One of these was a bit of a meanie in the small brooder.....time will tell if he's the first in the stew pot.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.21.30 PM.png

Large and fluffy:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.24.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.26.17 PM.png

Looking forward to seeing the pattern on the Speckled Sussex.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.30.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.31.48 PM.png

Thoughts on breed? cute and the fluffiest of the bunch...also fairly large.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.33.40 PM.png

Awesome job on the pictures @Acre4Me and what beauties they are! My speckled sussex pullets are beautiful, probably the prettiest birds in the flock, but you have some real potential beauties there.

So the shake n bake rabbit was good, a little chewier than chicken. Tastes a lot like chicken but with a slight metallic flavor. But we decided to take some of the bones out to the run to see if the chickens were interested. As cautious as they are about new foods I figured they wouldn't be very interested. I tied one to a cord we have to hang kale from to let them pick the meat off. Holy mother of pearl! I know they have never seen cooked or raw, chicken or rabbit bones before, ever, but they went crazy for the bones! They knew what they were and that it's a valuable food instantly. I gave up and held the bones in the fingers and let them pick off the meat. DP posted the video: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/will-chickens-eat-shake-n-bake-rabbit.1405617/ I swear I've never given them bones before but you'd think they'd been raised on KFC.

Pics were requested.
All chicks remain alive! Ordered all males. Of course sexing errors happen, so maybe there is a female in there somewhere. I currently suspect one of the Silver Spangled Hamburgs is a female...time will tell.

Cute and chatty! Like little human boys, they love to run! They will run the entire length of the brooder, stop and mill about and then all of a sudden 5-6-7 of them are racing back the other direction, the entire length of the brooder! :jumpy They run like this more than any other batch of chicks we have had!

Buttercups have that interesting comb. And it is hard to take a pic of it right now, but there are two rows of straight comb coming out horizontally from the middle flat comb. One chick has a wider flat comb on its head than the other, so the points on each side are farther apart. Will be interesting to see how they grow out.
View attachment 2284017

We had a male one about 2 years ago - attractive, but slim and flighty. I suspect the darker one might be female based on size and stance and comb is currently smaller/ less wide than the taller/more erect one.
View attachment 2284018

One of these was a bit of a meanie in the small brooder.....time will tell if

Thoughts on breed? cute and the fluffiest of the bunch...also fairly large.
View attachment 2284024
Mystery chick is a Faverolle

Awesome job on the pictures @Acre4Me and what beauties they are! My speckled sussex pullets are beautiful, probably the prettiest birds in the flock, but you have some real potential beauties there.

So the shake n bake rabbit was good, a little chewier than chicken. Tastes a lot like chicken but with a slight metallic flavor. But we decided to take some of the bones out to the run to see if the chickens were interested. As cautious as they are about new foods I figured they wouldn't be very interested. I tied one to a cord we have to hang kale from to let them pick the meat off. Holy mother of pearl! I know they have never seen cooked or raw, chicken or rabbit bones before, ever, but they went crazy for the bones! They knew what they were and that it's a valuable food instantly. I gave up and held the bones in the fingers and let them pick off the meat. DP posted the video: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/will-chickens-eat-shake-n-bake-rabbit.1405617/ I swear I've never given them bones before but you'd think they'd been raised on KFC.
We give our hens the Thanksgiving turkey carcass. Gross and yet comical.

Back
Top Bottom