What did you do in the garden today?

I have a friend who makes a similar salve, I can't read the ingredients because my eye sight is slipping and my crappy camera wasn't much help here. But she told me it has Plantains in it too.
IMG_5969.JPG

Know know you use it a lot when the label gets dirty lol.

I have a friend who makes a similar salve, I can't read the ingredients because my eye sight is slipping and my crappy camera wasn't much help here. But she told me it has Plantains in it too. View attachment 2286886

Know know you use it a lot when the label gets dirty lol.
It works for everything and the ingredients are all around us mislabeled as pests

The avatar grey chicken is 1/4 (or less) Ayam Cemani, his Grandfather was a low quality Ayam Cemani I over paid for that I used in an attempt to make black meat birds. It was half Naked Neck, 1/4 Ayam Cemani and 1/4 Red Ranger if I remember correctly. I didn't even know that it would have grey meat even after I processed it until I processed the 2nd bird and saw the difference. It was a behavioral cull and I processed a 5 week old Cornish X at the same time since I took the time to process one bird why not process a meatier bird at the same time.

Instead of a fail I'm going to view it as super productive multi tasking compost 🤣
Absolutely! I used to fuss about layering green grass clippings in and I’d run over leaves with the mower and stir them in, but really it’ll rot fine. Even commercial compost can have issues. One place was known for giving people horse tail that they never had before. So even they don’t get hot enough to kill everything.

Absolutely! I used to fuss about layering green grass clippings in and I’d run over leaves with the mower and stir them in, but really it’ll rot fine. Even commercial compost can have issues. One place was known for giving people horse tail that they never had before. So even they don’t get hot enough to kill everything.
I do have a secret for killing all the weeds. I make a smaller pile of stuff I absolutely want to be perfect... compile the materials the way I feel would be perfect (everyone has their own style for that so I am not going to get specific there).. then I cover that with landscaping fabric.. then I cover that with the rest of the compost that I do not care has weeds or what ever in it. The center that is under the landscaping fabric will have ever weed seed killed from the heat and I can use that where ever I need a perfect compost. However I do not have that need for perfect compost and I do not sell compost so I just make one giant pile and the results will be good enough for my purposes. I just enjoy turning organic material in a great growing medium. Rarely do I even need to use fertilizers, when I do its because of Calcium Deficiency. Due to the nature of my nursery adding lime to my composts will cause problems with my evergreens so I add Calcium in a liquid form to my garden when plant leaves indicate they need it.

What kind of black chicken is in your avitar? I have some Ayam cemani blood in my flockView attachment 2286887
If you were asking about mine it is a Black Sumatra pullet. Unfortunately she is no longer with us having been killed by a dog. Yep people just let their untrained dogs roam the streets around here. Regardless my neighbor no longer has his to kill the neighbors chicken any longer after I called the deputies to report him. His whole family was out on their porch with the young daughters phone videoing me after he was upset he had to lock up his dogs in an enclosure. All I asked was he keep his animals on his own property and not dig under my fence to kill and take my chicken. The deputies did laugh when I described my "Texas welcome mats" wherever I found holes. I laid in prickly pear cactus pads for that dog.

I don't know why my dogs never want to leave our property and other folks dogs do want to be here. Blame Maslov.

Last edited:
Morning all. My compost constantly has stuff growing in it. One of DHs friends has had our tractor for like 2 months & I can't turn the pile because of my back so it's not coming along very quickly, but it'll be fine. Hoping to use it in the fall so it better hurry up.

@karenerwin - sorry, I'm a big fan of garlic dill pickles so thats all I make! I always throw either some red pepper flakes or jalapeno in with them for a little kick. So you slice zucchini & freeze to make lasagna later? I actually made the lasagnas last night & then froze them uncooked, I might like your idea better.

@Acre4Me I always have a hard time with watermelon, I have heard that if the tendrils around it turn brown it's ready. :confused:

Any idea what nasty little critter has laid eggs on my tomatoes now?? :mad: I'm contemplating snipping that whole bunch & burning it - I hate bugs & am so over them this season. ETA: I googled, they look like braconid wasp eggs & those suckers kill hornworms, guess I'm not grossed out anymore - & now that I look at it I think that is a hornworm & not a stem back there maybe! Go wasps go!
IMG_20200812_073513578.jpg

Todays garden take
IMG_20200812_074533374.jpg

Finally got some morning glories blooming, not the best colors though
IMG_20200812_072804165_HDR.jpg

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited:
Morning all. My compost constantly has stuff growing in it. One of DHs friends has had our tractor for like 2 months & I can't turn the pile because of my back so it's not coming along very quickly, but it'll be fine. Hoping to use it in the fall so it better hurry up.

@karenerwin - sorry, I'm a big fan of garlic dill pickles so thats all I make! I always throw either some red pepper flakes or jalapeno in with them for a little kick. So you slice zucchini & freeze to make lasagna later? I actually made the lasagnas last night & then froze them uncooked, I might like your idea better.

@Acre4Me I always have a hard time with watermelon, I have heard that if the tendrils around it turn brown it's ready. :confused:

Any idea what nasty little critter has laid eggs on my tomatoes now?? :mad: I'm contemplating snipping that whole bunch & burning it - I hate bugs & am so over them this season. ETA: I googled, they look like braconid wasp eggs & those suckers kill hornworms, guess I'm not grossed out anymore - & now that I look at it I think that is a hornworm & not a stem back there maybe! Go wasps go!
View attachment 2286994

Todays garden take
View attachment 2286996

View attachment 2286997

I hope you are right about the wasps. I always believed they laid them on the caterpillars though. If you look closely at that photo there appears to be a hornworm in there all egged up. Go wasps! Sorry you came to the same realization I did.

Last edited:

View attachment 2286994

Todays garden take
View attachment 2286996

View attachment 2286997

Those are predatory wasp eggs on the catapillars! No harm to the garden.

Back
Top Bottom