What did you do in the garden today?

Just some pics of chicks and chickens:

9 days old and first foray into the run (behind a fence, of course).

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.55.55 PM.png

Some of the flock members checking out the chicks. The three black ones in front are 10 week old chicks we hatched in June (mixed breed, but pretty sure all 3 have BJG father). The hen to the left is a likely a BCM.
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.57.35 PM.png

Heres the BJG - now the flock leader. He is 12 months old. The top of the pop door opening is 22" above the floor his is standing on. He is filling out nicely, and he should grow for another 6 months, at least.
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.56.50 PM.png

great attitude... plants have explosive growth in my improper composts so I am satisfied... and I feed chickens with it.... I also spend a little more time pulling weeds in my garden than I should but I like the exercise.
🤔 You mean there's no rule about staying out there until every weed is gone? I'm going to tell my dad he made us do it all wrong when we were kids!

Oh I remember weeding quite well not a prefered memory in my piggy bank of a brain
I actually enjoy weeding a garden after I started learning what every plant was, which ones chickens eat and which ones rabbits eat and which ones I can eat. The ones that have no use at all I make sure the seeds get destroyed but the others I let cycle through the semi natural organic permaculture (and every other trendy word) system.

I actually enjoy weeding a garden after I started learning what every plant was, which ones chickens eat and which ones rabbits eat and which ones I can eat. The ones that have no use at all I make sure the seeds get destroyed but the others I let cycle through the semi natural organic permaculture (and every other trendy word) system.
You know I also think that weeds heal the soil. I have been gardening in the same spot for over 30 years. I have limited options as far as rotation goes. Three groups of plants fill most of my garden. Nightshade, cucurbits and crucifers. Lesser amounts of legumes and other greens. It’s been a challenge to try to not grow the same family every couple of years.
I guess my dirt is lucky I’m a slob when it comes to weeding because once the plants can compete I can’t manage the weeds, but my dirt is beautiful and my garden out performs my neighbor who is tidy. I think weeds grow where the dirt needs them. Or maybe it’s my excuse for being lazy.

You know I also think that weeds heal the soil. I have been gardening in the same spot for over 30 years. I have limited options as far as rotation goes. Three groups of plants fill most of my garden. Nightshade, cucurbits and crucifers. Lesser amounts of legumes and other greens. It’s been a challenge to try to not grow the same family every couple of years.
I guess my dirt is lucky I’m a slob when it comes to weeding because once the plants can compete I can’t manage the weeds, but my dirt is beautiful and my garden out performs my neighbor who is tidy. I think weeds grow where the dirt needs them. Or maybe it’s my excuse for being lazy.
My Theory is, if its producing then you are doing it right.

I got to go see my mom today. I stopped at a produce stand and bought a nice, ripe, fresh peach. I brought a knife with me so I peeled it, cut it into small bites and fed it to her. She ate about half of it.
Hopefully someone will feed her the rest of it that I left for her. Her memory is pretty shot. It had always been her strong suit. I told my brothers g th hat I doubt she will remember that I was there but that’s ok.
I’ve been working on making a different hot pickle recipe. I found it in the Ball Blue Book. It says to use zucchini but I’m using cucumbers instead ( because my hubby prefers cucumbers).
I also found a recipe for tomatillo salsa in there, so I’m going to make that as well. It’s already 10:30pm here so I’ll have to complete them tomorrow.
I did pick our 1 habanero pepper to use in the pickles ( along with the jalapeños that I bought). I can’t find any other hot peppers in the store or at the veggie stand.
6EDBE1E8-89A3-41DE-A729-36ABEA799EE2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom