What did you do in the garden today?

It was on Clearance in the cheap bins up front... I only saw it at one TSC and not all of them.

I found it on Ebay for $18 or $19 ... it may not be priced as low as I got it because I believe my local store was just trying to unload it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/402335494984...1291&msclkid=c4f4a17fe7e21d1258d6fe17e3624721

Found it online at TSC for $9.99 which is a reasonable price. Hopefully your TSC has it half off like mine did

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/barenbrug-premium-chicks-mix-1-lb-25490
They cancelled that part of my order so I guess they don’t have it. Oh well.

Most rural places have bulk seed companies that will make it for you for very low price in the ratio you want. Shipping is a bummer if you have to order it.
I like stock seeds company, which is just down the road from me. I use them a LOT.
See if there is somewhere around you like that.
Even some country co-ops will mix you up a batch of what you need.

Most rural places have bulk seed companies that will make it for you for very low price in the ratio you want. Shipping is a bummer if you have to order it.
I like stock seeds company, which is just down the road from me. I use them a LOT.
Well said

Thanks, I’ll look around and see if we have anything like that nearby.

Good morning gardeners. Well we got our first frost this morning. Not a heavy one thank goodness. I relied on the weather forecast that indicated the temps wouldn't be too low, but by golly, it was 33F this morning. Brrr! I didn't cover the okra, but I'm hoping since the pots are close by the house they were somewhat sheltered. I haven't brought the rosemary plants in so I'm hoping they are ok. I have the sage in the dehydrator. I started it yesterday afternoon but it wasn't finished at bedtime so I turned off the dehydrator for the night. I used some of the fresh sage along with the thyme I dried recently for my roast chicken dinner last night. Yummy! I picked up some bulbs for my cutting garden, an orange and yellow ruffled tulip and an ornamental allium. I'm headed for my little discount store this morning and am curious to see what they have for seasonal flowers and bulbs. I would love to get another pot of black eyed susans to plant. The impatiens I brought inside are doing well so far. I need to pick up another plant stand or two for the sunroom. It's starting to get a little crowded. The concord grapes are still not ready for picking apparently. I just may go to the oringinal orchard I had contacted. They have been growing the grapes for years now, this is the first season of picking for this other farmer. I have enough jars to do a double batch of the jam and I am so looking forward to it. I've thought of freezing local corn @sourland, however frozen corn is sooo inexpensive I haven't done that. I'm sure the corn you freeze is far superior than the grocery store product. Have a great day everyone, and happy harvesting.

Good morning gardeners. I did a quick walk through the gardens after I turned on the sprinkler for the grass. The fairy duster seedlings are still alive and growing well. I need to get out there and use the fork to break up the soil so I can put in carrots before too long, I’d like to get those in by October 1. We were supposed to build a fence, temporary not permanent, to divide the coop yard in half this weekend. Didn’t happen, hubs was just too hot and he works outside so I didn’t push. Cuckoo is a little less crazy about her chicks now and the new roo, really still a baby himself, doesn’t bother her. The new girls steer clear of her as well. I was thinking about putting up the greenhouse next weekend after we buy lumber for the garden. Not sure that I’ll need it this year, we’re expecting a rather mild winter here. I might just stick with the row covers and mini greenhouses I have and forget it. Although there’s quite a bit of room with all those shelves 🤔 Anyway, time to get to work. Have a great day all!

We removed the chicken netting fence from around the giant volunteer tomato patch yesterday and let the hens have at it. OH what a party! I was afraid we weren't going to be able to get them in at dusk. But to my surprise, they all waddled in heavily on request. LOL.

The winds howled yesterday, and the cut vines in the main garden are wilting away by design. First frost here is usually around the 4th of October. Bleh. I'm not ready in any way, shape, or form.

Tired of the smoke. Working in it is too hard on the lungs. Too many breaks have to be taken.

I haven't brought the rosemary plants in so I'm hoping they are ok.
The rosemary here grows outside year round and in Portland it freezes a good deal so frost shouldn't harm it. In fact at Christmas I used to just step outside to cut the rosemary for the rib roast.

@Compost King, I thought of you last night when I was watching a video on how to over-winter your peppers. In fact I think you or someone here talked about that. Anyway, I'll give it a go, it's supposed to cut back on the long development time seedling peppers have. I do have a nice serrano, a ramshorn, and maybe a jimmy nardello that did pretty well and I'd love to see what they'd do with more time.

Not much to do in the garden today, I do need to start ripping out spent plants for the fall growing season. I did spray the finished kale with safer's soap to knock down the aphid population, I'll be pulling them out but I have a horror of the little beasts dropping millions of eggs for next spring.

Oh and does anyone know if pineapple will ripen once picked? The pineapple that came in my grocery pick up looks mighty green to me, I'm wondering if letting it sit for a bit will help.

Back
Top Bottom