What did you do in the garden today?

I’m considering planting tomatoes in containers and see if I can skip the early blight for a year. I’m planning on using bags for potatoes.
I tried that last year, didn't work for me. But my plants came from a nursery & they may have gotten it there. I even got it this year with brand new beds, new dirt & starts from an online nursery. :idunno

@igorsMistress Oh my gosh do I love him, he is adorable!! 💕 💕 💕

I'm not a fan of container gardening, it makes it hard to go away for more than a couple days because of water! It didn't work well for me, personally.

I pulled a couple squash plants, dug up a bunch of black eyed susans for my niece who is inheriting my grapefruit & lime trees (yay for the next gen!) & put the butterfly weed I grew from seed in a pot into the ground.

Bout it, totally enjoying the cool weather, my fave time of year!

He is 1/2 rat terrier & half mutt. He's a goofball & loves to offroad with us. He's kinda famous. ;):gig
OMG I know someone with a famous dog!!! Hehe. He looks so sweet! And I love a goofy dog, not dumb, just willing to have the joke be on them. My favorite dog we had was a sharpei, she was stubborn as a mule, smart as a whip, and best sense of humor in a dog I've ever run into.
Had a birthday this week and the hubs and girls bought some little toys for the chicks. We are working on finishing up the coop this weekend cooler weather on its way. Not cold like some of you, I'm glad for the 70's we have coming. Also thankful to hear our smoked out friends finally got some rain. I know that was surely welcomed.
I'm so glad you came out of the storm as well as you did.
New roo. He’s not yet 4 months old and the big girls scare him.
:love:love:loveHe is so cute! And omg hiding from the big girls... I don't blame him, he's cute enough to eat.
We now have to cover our tomatoes and potatoes with micromesh to avoid psyllids. It turns out that this also reduces blight.
That's an idea, but isn't it a hassle to work around?
I'm not a fan of container gardening, it makes it hard to go away for more than a couple days because of water! It didn't work well for me, personally.
My main problem with pots seems to be a matter of size. If I use big enough pots (nothing smaller that 10 gallons) and keep an eye on things it goes pretty well. 90% if this years fails were in smaller pots, and/or in too hot of a location.

I picked about 14 pounds of mostly cherry tomatoes this morning before going to town for the grocery pick up. I had Taco Hell for lunch and it was a treat, then picked up Dutch Bros coffees on the way out of town. I love grocery day!

I put a pot of spaghetti sauce in the slow-cooker before I left. It's my first batch made with my home canned tomato sauce and I can tell the difference already. It smells and tastes much more tomatoey and I didn't add any paste to it at all. Just before it's done I'll put in some fresh tomatoes. Kind of excited!

We seem to now have 6 pullets come on-line to lay eggs regularly. Mahogany (sfh) has started laying tiny eggs in the most favored nest box with a lot of singing before and after. I haven't found any more thin shelled eggs on the poop board for at least a week so I'm hoping we're past that.

It's a beautiful sunny day today and no smoke here, there was some in town but not enough to bother my breathing. They're promising more rain this week so we seem to be past our local drought, we haven't been watching the news for the past few days (it got to be just too much) but I have to assume the rain has helped for at least some of the fires.

As always, I love the pictures everyone has been posting, makes us all seem closer somehow. Take care and stay dirty!

Hi all. Nothing really happening in the garden today. I got three trays of tomato chips going in the dehydrator today, a jar of asparagus and 3 jars of cucumber pickles fermenting too. Did some grocery shopping, we’re having salmon and fresh green beans for dinner tonight. I took a couple blocks of ice out for the chickens and I need to head out to give them fresh water soon. Not much else really, trying to have a chill day for a change.
3DEA5807-FBE2-4C10-B9D9-C121ED269A9F.jpeg

IMG_6833.JPG

I bought this at TSC for 50% off ($5) the seed mixture is 34% Rye Grass, 15% Alfalfa, 15% White Clover, 14% Flax, 10% Red Clover, and the rest stuff that doesn't matter.. is this something I need to wait until spring to plant or is it like grass seed and I can plant it in fall? I figured I would ask in case anyone in here has already dealt with mixes like this. I plant to grow trays of it in the green house for fodder if I can not get it spread out this fall.

View attachment 2342222
I bought this at TSC for 50% off ($5) the seed mixture is 34% Rye Grass, 15% Alfalfa, 15% White Clover, 14% Flax, 10% Red Clover, and the rest stuff that doesn't matter.. is this something I need to wait until spring to plant or is it like grass seed and I can plant it in fall? I figured I would ask in case anyone in here has already dealt with mixes like this. I plant to grow trays of it in the green house for fodder if I can not get it spread out this fall.
Most grasses sprout best in the 70s for daytime temps. I’ll be looking for some of that at TSC!

Most grasses sprout best in the 70s for daytime temps. I’ll be looking for some of that at TSC!
It was on Clearance in the cheap bins up front... I only saw it at one TSC and not all of them.

I found it on Ebay for $18 or $19 ... it may not be priced as low as I got it because I believe my local store was just trying to unload it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/402335494984...1291&msclkid=c4f4a17fe7e21d1258d6fe17e3624721

Found it online at TSC for $9.99 which is a reasonable price. Hopefully your TSC has it half off like mine did

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/barenbrug-premium-chicks-mix-1-lb-25490

Back
Top Bottom