What did you do in the garden today?

I looked at all the foxtail grass that got completely out of control, and wondered if I keep my chickens on the garden all winter, they'll eat all the grass, and all the seeds, and how I really need to mulch a whole lot earlier. I also looked at the butternut squashes in amongst the foxtail grass, and wondered if I should harvest them now, or leave them out, and decided to leave them out.

I harvested carrots today! They came out well!
carrots.jpg

Real well. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
carrots2.jpg

Back to work today. Boo. Been raining here so much I will be shocked if my seeds i planted produce. We are about to get the raised beds going and I am wondering about the soil. We will be using topsoil, and I am mixing in worm casting. What else should I add? Also if I am using pine shaving in the chicken coop how would I collect poop for the garden? Baby chicks are 3 weeks now and will be going to their home soon. Good news is the rain does not seem to be hurting my seedlings I started inside. If it would stop for a day I would give them some of their fertilizer.

What else should I add? Also if I am using pine shaving in the chicken coop how would I collect poop for the garden? Baby chicks are 3 weeks now and will be going to their home soon. Good news is the rain does not seem to be hurting my seedlings I started inside. If it would stop for a day I would give them some of their fertilizer.
Aged compost is the standard answer for soil amending. I use pine shavings in the coop and PDZ on poop boards that I clean every morning. The pine gets swept into the run as needed and the run is deep litter. The deep litter in the run gets added to the compost pile as it builds up. That poop gets added to the compost pile too. The plan is to turn the compost pile saving the oldest part on the bottom to add to my raised beds. Chicken poo needs some time to compost so you need to let it age and break down somehow.

@Battles house when I clean the coop it all goes into the compost pile to compost for a year (including pine shavings), then it goes in the garden. You can't use chicken poop hot, it has to age (like @NewBoots said).

The garden has slowed to a crawl with the cold weather. I still have a couple small yellow squash out there, not sure if they'll grow or not, but it's supposed to warm up this week. I have tons of green tomatoes, hoping they grow a little more, I don't need them to ripen, just grow a bit. I know the end is near, I'm going to sift my new compost & get it ready for the garden beds. It's a little too early for garlic, but I've been collecting it from my own garden, local farmers & online so that'll be ready to go in the ground soon, I'm planning on planting a whole bed of it, tons!

I've never grown green beans before but I enjoyed them this year so I'm going to save seed, I assume I just let the pods dry on the vine & then harvest them? I probably have another 3 lbs to collect & that'll probably be it for the beans.

Alright everyone, enjoy the day!

I made and canned the Rotel Tomatoes that someone posted on here for me. They turned out really good! I also did a batch and a half of grape jelly from some of the grapes I picked a couple of weeks ago.
That was it. I need to water as we haven't had rain nor is there any forecasted.
Hi Karen. I’ve been thinking of you and wondering how you’ve been but didn’t want to bug you. It’s good to hear from you! Glad you like the Rotel recipe, I’ll be sure to give it a try.

This week, I'm seeding cover crops for the fall/winter in 4 raised beds. Maybe a 5th bed too.

Gourds: The weight of the gourds is pulling down the vines. Next year, I'll have to change up the supports. Wind is causing some of it, but its the sheer weight of the gourds.

One of the gourds is tiny and certainly not causing any vines to come down. Aren't these cute? They are called "Spinning gourds" and used to be used as toys and could be carried around in the pockets of kids. They are smaller than the eggs!

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.39.15 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom