What did you do in the garden today?

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
New Garden project, early pictures of most of the parts, still need Air Pumps, Air Stones and tubing.
This is cloning machine before it's built. I can also germinate seeds in it. Some plants will do just fine in wet Sand/Vermiculite/soil but peppers are tricky and I want to take cuttings from my Carolina Reaper as well as other pepper plants.
IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG

That brown plug looking thing is a sponge that I buy from Park Seeds, they sell them as replacement for their "Bio Domes" , I have Hole saw to drill into the lid and I will stick those plugs in, Under neath will be a tub of water (grey) with air stones and I will be pumping in air like an Aquarium, this is to keep the water oxygenated and tiny mist splashes will be keeping the sponges wet. Roots will soak in the oxygenated water until I pull out the cutting and plant it. It might be overkill for Tomatoes however pepper cuttings need help due to slow rooting.
The clear tote will be used as a humidity dome.
If I keep it in the green house I will have to shade it because sunlight will be too powerful for it, I also have the option to bring it inside and run it under fluorescent lights.

Kiwibird

Crowing
Jan 24, 2008
NZ
Do not get discouraged when it smells really bad as you remove the fruit chunks and be prepared to deal with fruit flies. I used a coffee filter and rubber band to top my container and Fruit Flies managed to escape out of that. Not many. on occasion I would see one. Fly paper seems to do a good job of collecting them.
There are various kinds of water barriers to keep the fruit flies out of fermentation crocks and brewing barrels. They work well for my son's beer, and I must try them for my sourdough starter as the fruit flies are partial to that! You may like to see what's available where you live.

Kiwibird

Crowing
Jan 24, 2008
NZ
New Garden project, early pictures of most of the parts, still need Air Pumps, Air Stones and tubing.
This is cloning machine before it's built. I can also germinate seeds in it. Some plants will do just fine in wet Sand/Vermiculite/soil but peppers are tricky and I want to take cuttings from my Carolina Reaper as well as other pepper plants.
View attachment 2344366 View attachment 2344367 View attachment 2344368

That brown plug looking thing is a sponge that I buy from Park Seeds, they sell them as replacement for their "Bio Domes" , I have Hole saw to drill into the lid and I will stick those plugs in, Under neath will be a tub of water (grey) with air stones and I will be pumping in air like an Aquarium, this is to keep the water oxygenated and tiny mist splashes will be keeping the sponges wet. Roots will soak in the oxygenated water until I pull out the cutting and plant it. It might be overkill for Tomatoes however pepper cuttings need help due to slow rooting.
The clear tote will be used as a humidity dome.
If I keep it in the green house I will have to shade it because sunlight will be too powerful for it, I also have the option to bring it inside and run it under fluorescent lights.
Fascinating! Keep us posted!

WthrLady

Free Ranging
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
tomato vines are all totally, wonderfully withered. I picked all the tomatoes with any color on them at all and will let them ripen on the counter. I'll pick the light green/white ones next week and sell those for salsa verde and pickling. Then I'll rip out the vines and start piling the manure for the winter, spray the weeds in the walkway and close the gate behind me.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
Fascinating! Keep us posted!
Consider yourself posted lol.
I already broke it and its not even even assembled yet! I can tape it or buy a new one. This was actually busted the moment I got home and pulled it out of the van. It fell on the driveway and I picked it up without checking it. Just noticed it when I came in from closing the coops. $4 loss... I could just tape it since its just a humidity dome and not the tub that holds water. Depends on my mood tomorrow. since its on a corner and a chunk is missing I will probably just buy a new one.
IMG_6841.JPG

karenerwin

Free Ranging
Jun 11, 2013
Cedar Hill, Missouri
Hi @igorsMistress things are really busy here with trying to settle my Mom's estate. Since I am the only one that lives in the same state that she did (out of her children) most of the grunt work has fallen to me. She has a 10 x 20 storage unit that is packed full. I did get permission from my brothers to donate all of her clothes. She has 4 wardrobe boxes and numerous plastic totes full. Today I went through 2 of the wardrobe boxes and 4 of the plastic totes.
She also has a very nice couch with recliners on both end and a huge solid wooden book case that none of us want or need. Goodwill isn't taking couches at this time. I've offered it to all of my kids (except the one in prison) and none of them need/want it. One brother is checking with his youngest and the other brother's 2 kids don't want/need it (plus they live in California and Maryland, so not really conducive to picking it up! 😂 ).
My middle child does want the book case and he had asked me to come down and go trout fishing with him (plus 2 of his kids have September birthdays and I want to deliver their gifts in person). So, my hubby and I loaded the book case into the van (it barely fit) and I will drive down there tomorrow ( 3 hours each way). Hopefully we will have enough time to get some fishing in as well! 😂 I may have to spend the night.

So any way, I've just been super busy and it's hard to find the time to get done what I need to get done, but I'm trying to balance that as best as I can. Thanks for thinking of me. :love

Top Bottom