What did you do in the garden today?

Fascinating! & great, something else I'm going to have to try! :gig
Do not get discouraged when it smells really bad as you remove the fruit chunks and be prepared to deal with fruit flies. I used a coffee filter and rubber band to top my container and Fruit Flies managed to escape out of that. Not many. on occasion I would see one. Fly paper seems to do a good job of collecting them.

I wonder if fermenting lids would work?
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.18.34 PM.png

New Garden project, early pictures of most of the parts, still need Air Pumps, Air Stones and tubing.
This is cloning machine before it's built. I can also germinate seeds in it. Some plants will do just fine in wet Sand/Vermiculite/soil but peppers are tricky and I want to take cuttings from my Carolina Reaper as well as other pepper plants.
IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG

That brown plug looking thing is a sponge that I buy from Park Seeds, they sell them as replacement for their "Bio Domes" , I have Hole saw to drill into the lid and I will stick those plugs in, Under neath will be a tub of water (grey) with air stones and I will be pumping in air like an Aquarium, this is to keep the water oxygenated and tiny mist splashes will be keeping the sponges wet. Roots will soak in the oxygenated water until I pull out the cutting and plant it. It might be overkill for Tomatoes however pepper cuttings need help due to slow rooting.
The clear tote will be used as a humidity dome.
If I keep it in the green house I will have to shade it because sunlight will be too powerful for it, I also have the option to bring it inside and run it under fluorescent lights.

Do not get discouraged when it smells really bad as you remove the fruit chunks and be prepared to deal with fruit flies. I used a coffee filter and rubber band to top my container and Fruit Flies managed to escape out of that. Not many. on occasion I would see one. Fly paper seems to do a good job of collecting them.
There are various kinds of water barriers to keep the fruit flies out of fermentation crocks and brewing barrels. They work well for my son's beer, and I must try them for my sourdough starter as the fruit flies are partial to that! You may like to see what's available where you live.

New Garden project, early pictures of most of the parts, still need Air Pumps, Air Stones and tubing.
This is cloning machine before it's built. I can also germinate seeds in it. Some plants will do just fine in wet Sand/Vermiculite/soil but peppers are tricky and I want to take cuttings from my Carolina Reaper as well as other pepper plants.
View attachment 2344366View attachment 2344367View attachment 2344368

That brown plug looking thing is a sponge that I buy from Park Seeds, they sell them as replacement for their "Bio Domes" , I have Hole saw to drill into the lid and I will stick those plugs in, Under neath will be a tub of water (grey) with air stones and I will be pumping in air like an Aquarium, this is to keep the water oxygenated and tiny mist splashes will be keeping the sponges wet. Roots will soak in the oxygenated water until I pull out the cutting and plant it. It might be overkill for Tomatoes however pepper cuttings need help due to slow rooting.
The clear tote will be used as a humidity dome.
If I keep it in the green house I will have to shade it because sunlight will be too powerful for it, I also have the option to bring it inside and run it under fluorescent lights.
Fascinating! Keep us posted!

tomato vines are all totally, wonderfully withered. I picked all the tomatoes with any color on them at all and will let them ripen on the counter. I'll pick the light green/white ones next week and sell those for salsa verde and pickling. Then I'll rip out the vines and start piling the manure for the winter, spray the weeds in the walkway and close the gate behind me.

Back
Top Bottom