What did you do in the garden today?

Good afternoon gardeners. I remembered to water the oleanders this morning but still haven’t gone out to transplant them. The bags of dirt still wait also. And I need to spread some hay around the recent transplants still. I’m feeling lazy and depressed without the crew there to help. It’s supposed to nice this weekend though and no dog park until after Abby gets her stitches out so this weekend will be productive. I ordered some Runner duck eggs, should be here next week. I think ducks will offer options that chickens can’t, especially since they can forage under water, and very little work will need to be done to prep for them. The biggest task will be sanitizing the coop and redoing the whitewash on the interior. If any of the eggs hatch I’ll brood the ducklings outside just as I would chicks.

Thank you but that’s funny! Tidy is easy in the shade garden, no chickens allowed. There’s usually wood chips all over the patio and walkways but I’d rinsed it all off before pics.
I had some plants that I put river rocks underneath to keep weeds down. LOL. It didn't work out, so I moved the plants, removed the rocks and threw them behind the shed in the chicken yard in a pile. the rocks are now strewn all down the whole back of the yard back there- thanks chickens. Now, I want to put them under the tulip tree in the spring- gonna be a hard job since no two rocks are on top of each other and it is a LOT of rocks.
My crazy azaleas are blooming again and my tulip tree has buds on it again- I think they are confused, but I will go with the flow and enjoy the view.

Hi :frow I’ve been lurking for a little bit trying to learn.
I have a black thumb and an insane desire to just keep gardening with little to almost zero results.
Can anyone tell me what I should be doing right now?
I have flat earth but want to do raised beds a little at a time. Tight budget.
there are a million suggestions you can receive because there is no right or wrong way to garden. I started with composting, yep I am the guy who loves poop.

You can use Rabbit poo straight in the garden but most everything else you have to compost for 6 months or it burns the plants.

I am currently working on a raised bed where I keep and constantly fill it with carbon and other things for chickens to scratch through, next spring I will move the coop, fencing and chickens to a new raised bed and start gardening the old one.

Summer Garden: I broke off a couple of small buds on my hemp plant and half the seeds are mature, I figure one more week and luckily no frost in the 10 day forecast. Greens go to Rabbits who absolutely love Hemp, Seeds will be fed to chickens and I will mix them into their scratch grains. Outside of potted plants I moved into the green house they are the only 2 plants I have left from the summer garden.
Fall Garden: Swiss Chard, Bok Choi and Collards look nice. Anytime I am in the mood for greens I have plenty but I ate so many already I stopped. I will harvest them eventually and what I am not in the mood to eat will go to Rabbits.
Winter Garden:
IMG_7431.JPG

One of my seedling trays had a crack/leak so I filled it with soil and spread these seeds over it. when the plants come in I will drop it off in a chicken run as fodder. Maybe build a rabbit cage type of cover so plants can grow out but beaks can't deplete it.

I have a black thumb and an insane desire to just keep gardening with little to almost zero results.

hi from western Ohio!

right now you would be putting the garden “to bed”. So cleaning out the old plants to toss, burn or add to compost pile. Avoid putting diseased plants in compost. During late Sept-Oct plant any cover crops in your beds. I planted winter peas and rye for the winter in 4 of my raised beds. Some people choose to put partially finished compost in/on the beds at this point, or fallen leaves on top of their garden beds to decompose over the winter. You would cover any crops still in/on the ground...carrots stay pretty good in the ground, pick as needed (cover with straw to protect), or send positive vibes to your brassicas (cabbage/Brussel sprouts) to finish up growing. Some people cover the beds with still growing produce to help keep in warm air from the day.

raised beds... don’t have to be in a structure, as it can just be mounded dirt. But often made simply with wood sides (placed on the ground, not attached), or some make taller beds with metal panels. I think @BReeder! made this style. I have 11 wooden raised beds plus a large garden plot.

another fall task is to collect tomato cages and stack and store, Fix welds if needed. Add mulch to walkways, if using.

get any potted plants removed (if annuals), move sensitive plants indoors or in a protected area.

Seed shopping!! A fun winter task!

good luck!

I had some plants that I put river rocks underneath to keep weeds down. LOL. It didn't work out, so I moved the plants, removed the rocks and threw them behind the shed in the chicken yard in a pile. the rocks are now strewn all down the whole back of the yard back there- thanks chickens. Now, I want to put them under the tulip tree in the spring- gonna be a hard job since no two rocks are on top of each other and it is a LOT of rocks.
My crazy azaleas are blooming again and my tulip tree has buds on it again- I think they are confused, but I will go with the flow and enjoy the view.
No those rocks seem to just make it harder to pull weeds lol.
sounds like a nice view, enjoy it while you can!

Welcome! I would start with a soil test kit to see what you have before you grow stuff. It’ll help quite a bit, then you can pick amendments based on what you need to add. Also, one of the main things I did when I first started gardening was water too much or not enough. I learned that a good rule of thumb is if the plants are looking wilted on a hot afternoon but they look good in the morning, it’s likely just heat stress.

there are a million suggestions you can receive because there is no right or wrong way to garden. I started with composting, yep I am the guy who loves poop.

You can use Rabbit poo straight in the garden but most everything else you have to compost for 6 months or it burns the plants.

I am currently working on a raised bed where I keep and constantly fill it with carbon and other things for chickens to scratch through, next spring I will move the coop, fencing and chickens to a new raised bed and start gardening the old one.
I have plenty of that 😆
Im in the process of mobing the rabbits into my chicken run because its the most secure place outside right now. Any suggestions on how to fasten the cages so they're out of the chickens way?
my blues are ten pounds each so imnervous hanging up their cages.
I can provide pics later.
I know you have a more natural setup but sadly i dont have a safe area to fo that with.
hi from western Ohio!

right now you would be putting the garden “to bed”. So cleaning out the old plants to toss, burn or add to compost pile. Avoid putting diseased plants in compost. During late Sept-Oct plant any cover crops in your beds. I planted winter peas and rye for the winter in 4 of my raised beds. Some people choose to put partially finished compost in/on the beds at this point, or fallen leaves on top of their garden beds to decompose over the winter. You would cover any crops still in/on the ground...carrots stay pretty good in the ground, pick as needed (cover with straw to protect), or send positive vibes to your brassicas (cabbage/Brussel sprouts) to finish up growing. Some people cover the beds with still growing produce to help keep in warm air from the day.

raised beds... don’t have to be in a structure, as it can just be mounded dirt. But often made simply with wood sides (placed on the ground, not attached), or some make taller beds with metal panels. I think @BReeder! made this style. I have 11 wooden raised beds plus a large garden plot.

another fall task is to collect tomato cages and stack and store, Fix welds if needed. Add mulch to walkways, if using.

get any potted plants removed (if annuals), move sensitive plants indoors or in a protected area.

Seed shopping!! A fun winter task!

good luck!
Thank you!
So its not too late to plant rye? Do i just toss it on the ground or sprout it first?

I have plenty of that 😆
Im in the process of mobing the rabbits into my chicken run because its the most secure place outside right now. Any suggestions on how to fasten the cages so they're out of the chickens way?
my blues are ten pounds each so imnervous hanging up their cages.
I can provide pics later.
I know you have a more natural setup but sadly i dont have a safe area to fo that with.

Thank you!
So its not too late to plant rye? Do i just toss it on the ground or sprout it first?

just toss on the ground, rake it around to get it loosely mixed in. Should sprout still.

Back
Top Bottom