What did you do in the garden today?

I ordered some chives, runner beans, gold watermelon, mosquito plant, and a few other odds & end seeds from Baker today. It is a cold, grey day. I cleaned out the coop today so that's another Gorilla Cart full of chicken manure, horse manure, hay, straw, and shavings on the compost pile. I really should take a picture of the compost pile. I am delighted and astonished at the richness of the soil out there! Pure black gold, I swear.... I'm toying with the idea of planting some watermelon seeds out there. I could either leave them on the ground, or set up a piece of cow panel and try to do some vertical gardening. I think the watermelon would LOVE the nitrogen rich soil and might do better there than in the garden which is heavily red clay & rocks. I am trying to amend it and make it better but it is just taking time.

The only hesitation I have about planting the watermelon out there is the animals... My compost pile is in the corner of my horse pasture. I don't THINK the horses would mess with it, but most assuredly my goats & chickens would tear it up whenever I let them out to free range. The chickens LOVE going through the compost pile. It's the first place they go whenever they are let out.

I ordered some chives, runner beans, gold watermelon, mosquito plant, and a few other odds & end seeds from Baker today. It is a cold, grey day. I cleaned out the coop today so that's another Gorilla Cart full of chicken manure, horse manure, hay, straw, and shavings on the compost pile. I really should take a picture of the compost pile. I am delighted and astonished at the richness of the soil out there! Pure black gold, I swear.... I'm toying with the idea of planting some watermelon seeds out there. I could either leave them on the ground, or set up a piece of cow panel and try to do some vertical gardening. I think the watermelon would LOVE the nitrogen rich soil and might do better there than in the garden which is heavily red clay & rocks. I am trying to amend it and make it better but it is just taking time.

The only hesitation I have about planting the watermelon out there is the animals... My compost pile is in the corner of my horse pasture. I don't THINK the horses would mess with it, but most assuredly my goats & chickens would tear it up whenever I let them out to free range. The chickens LOVE going through the compost pile. It's the first place they go whenever they are let out.
The compost pile was always the first place my flock went also. They did a great job of turning it pretty much every day.

The compost pile was always the first place my flock went also. They did a great job of turning it pretty much every day.

They did a good job of turning mine too, when I had it spread out. Last week I piled it up to help it warm up some and maybe break down faster. Now it's 3 ft high so they won't do much turning but they did spend quite a bit of time today scratching away at the black dirt that's now exposed by what I piled up. Probably LOTS of bugs and worms in there

I gave some gray eggs to my broody hen.
5.....PNG
ayaa.PNG

I don't know that the eggs are fertile (My roosters are 4 months old), she has 4

Back
Top Bottom