What did you do in the garden today?

Yes, they need some kind of insect. You can hand pollinate them, but I've never done that.

If you do, please tell us how it goes! It sounds like a great idea.
I finished painting the rocks to look like strawberries. Now I am just waiting for Spring to put them into the strawberry patch...
0C0B8144-0AAF-49EA-BF3F-252F89EB8B37.jpeg

I plant in tires stacked 2 high go to any tire store they will give the dead ones away they do not have to pay to get rid of them then .. My back will not handle the stooping.. We want fresh veggies I have to have a steady diet of good food not junk food .. At least what I call junk food :celebrate

I'm reading everyone's posts and thinking,

"Where do you find the time and energy?!"
I hear you CovidtimeQuail, I'm worn out just getting caught up with all the posts! :) Thanks for the tip on those small tools @BullChick, I've ordered a set for myself.
The male chickens we raised to butcher in the other half of the pen until Dec started to die, but we couldn’t figure out why. The main flock (separate, but nearby) is fine. Maybe there was something in the wood chips that caused some problems-we don’t know!
That is scary @Acre4Me - not know why they died. I have a huge pile of chips & want to move it into the run at some point, but I'm scared of asperiligus (sp?) mold.
@Acre4Me, I would bet @Sueby is right here. I let our fresh chip pile age for 6 months or so before using them in the run and that was with the entire front uncovered for air flow. I was warned that the fresh chips with leaves and evergreen needles mixed in were the most problematic for dangerous molds and fugus. Actually I'm just about ready for a new load but we'll see.

I've now got at least 20 varieties of tomato seeds in pots but not one has sprouted yet nor my 3 peppers but it's still in the 30s at night and the greenhouse doesn't have independent heat so it will take a while. Some of the lettuce and a few spinach are up but I got impatient and bought a tray of lettuce, celery, red beets, and mixed beets. I got them all planted, watered in, then scattered the last of my (supposed to be organic and pet safe) slug & snail bait around them all. I found out that both the rabbits and chooks love turnips so I'll add those to the beets, but I read some funny things about parsnip greens being toxic with seems odd since carrot tops aren't. I've pretty well weeded all the raised beds and added more soil as I went.

Today we put up a low modular fence inside the cat-proof section of the yard and then put the 5 grow-out bunnies in there and they loved the fresh green grass and hopped around like crazy things. I'll make them an outside shelter so they can spend as much time a possible in the run but they'll have to go back to the tractor during the nights to be safe.

I hear you CovidtimeQuail, I'm worn out just getting caught up with all the posts! :) Thanks for the tip on those small tools @BullChick, I've ordered a set for myself.

@Acre4Me, I would bet @Sueby is right here. I let our fresh chip pile age for 6 months or so before using them in the run and that was with the entire front uncovered for air flow. I was warned that the fresh chips with leaves and evergreen needles mixed in were the most problematic for dangerous molds and fugus. Actually I'm just about ready for a new load but we'll see.

I've now got at least 20 varieties of tomato seeds in pots but not one has sprouted yet nor my 3 peppers but it's still in the 30s at night and the greenhouse doesn't have independent heat so it will take a while. Some of the lettuce and a few spinach are up but I got impatient and bought a tray of lettuce, celery, red beets, and mixed beets. I got them all planted, watered in, then scattered the last of my (supposed to be organic and pet safe) slug & snail bait around them all. I found out that both the rabbits and chooks love turnips so I'll add those to the beets, but I read some funny things about parsnip greens being toxic with seems odd since carrot tops aren't. I've pretty well weeded all the raised beds and added more soil as I went.

Today we put up a low modular fence inside the cat-proof section of the yard and then put the 5 grow-out bunnies in there and they loved the fresh green grass and hopped around like crazy things. I'll make them an outside shelter so they can spend as much time a possible in the run but they'll have to go back to the tractor during the nights to be safe.
Lots of members of the carrot family are poisonous or toxic. Including Giant Hogsweed, that’s the stuff that grows on the side of the road and can cause 3rd degree burns and blindness.

I got almost all the daffodils in the ground. The last few will have to live until Monday I’m to tired to plant them. There was over 250 total. The power went off for about 10 minutes tonight. No clue why. It isn’t supposed to storm until Monday.

Got the garden tilled today for the 3rd time. Ryegrass takes a long time to decompose. supposed to rain manana so hopin I will be able to start row planting on Monday. Have blue lake beans and super sweet corn to plant. Mrs. Lobo put in some eggplants and jalapenos. Got some cucumber seeds in a pot for the arbor I built earlier this week. Have banana plants and blackberry vines recovering from the freeze. gotta get the feeders out tomorrow, Saw my first hummingbird of the spring today.

Back
Top Bottom