What did you do in the garden today?

Spring in Norway😅 Yesterday we had 4 inches with snow. But the sun is shining and it is so pleasant sitting in the sun in front of my small makeshift greenery, drinking coffee 😍
20210410_121801.jpg

20210410_121806.jpg

I have sifted some soil to take in for more potting soil. The bokashi fabric is running from January. I take in a big plastic box, fill it with used soil and a bucket of bokashi. After 3 weeks in our hallway, I empty the box in containers, pots, whatever, and store it in the greenery. And so it goes. But when I need soil for plants indoors, I sift the refreshed soil, to take out bigger lumps etc.

Today I also sowed calendulas in my greenery. First time I try it, but the spinach and salad I sowed are growing just fine. I filled containers with soil, sowed the seeds and covered with snow. Winter sowing is so exciting 😁 And I need to do some experiments every year.
20210410_130352.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. I managed to finally get the motion detector lights adjusted yesterday and the pallets are down in the potato patch. One pallet wasn't enough so have two down for an 8 foot x 4 foot garden space. I'm picking up stuff from HD this morning and will also pick up some dirt to mix in with the expanding potting stuff to get the potatoes planted. I have decided to expand the chicken run with the addition of a grow out pen. Randy rooster was starting to ruffle the ladies feathers the wrong way, so he is back in his bachelor pad. I'm also fencing out the area around the chicken coop to deter the occasional coyotes and bobcats from getting too close. It looks like we might be backsliding into another drought this summer. The forecast for rain has changed from 1/2 inch or more to possible scattered showers for tomorrow. I guess it's time to wash all the windows and the cars to encourage Mother Nature to give us a good drink. LOL! Your snowy landscape is lovely @Imse. It will be interesting to follow your strategies for gardening in short growing season. I captured a picture of the edger I bought from HD @NewBoots. It looks like a mini mower (which I love) but the weed whacker comes out of the mowing deck so it becomes a traditional weed whacker. This is perfect for my 45 degree slope that I avoid mowing with the push mower. And no, @WthrLady the one I purchased is electric. I don't have a huge area like you do so the electric model will work nicely and is much lighter than the gas powered trimmers.
weed trimmer.JPG

Good morning gardeners. I pulled the basil and tossed it to the ducks, that was a no go. My hands smell great though! Also harvested artichokes for dinner tonight and found that the Armenian cuke is still alive. I thought the heat had killed it. Hubs has to work tomorrow so all garden chores will wait until then so we can spend some time together today and run some errands. Except the duck pool, that will definitely be done today. Enjoy the day all.
49FE1C27-14E0-493B-93EC-5E75686ECCB9.jpeg

Rainy 2 days here . Pelicans are on the river . Someone 1 1/2 hours north reported seeing a Flamingo . Never heard of that before . Must be lost or confused . :confused:
Probably a heron or a crane.
=======
Spraying is accomplished-that can settle in for the day.

Last shelf has been installed in the greenhouse, where it is 82 lovely degrees while 50 outside.

I have constructed the vent props, but need to paint them and put a bracket on each.

I'll move the great oven later. I told DH I need to find a place for it outside or I don't use it. We keep it in the garage and I just dislike rolling it about. So maybe being outside will prompt me to use it more. I do like it. What the point of prolonging it's life if it's never used?

I think I'm off to the hardware store. It's been 36 hours since I was there last, they might be wondering where I'm at.

LOL! Your snowy landscape is lovely @Imse. It will be interesting to follow your strategies for gardening in short growing season.
There are some veggies that are hard to grow in our short summer. But I have actually grown pumpkin and corn, though it ended up with only enough corn for two dinners. We plant potatoes the first week in June and if we are lucky, we can plant out all the cabbage plants and beans.

Carrot do we sow as soon as the earth is thawed, same with all kinds of beets.

And every year I sow more and more and have some experiments going on, like veggies that people say don't grow here😅

The worst with short summer is that the compost bins and raised bed are deep frozen when I need to start spreading compost...

And most things I do from my wheelchair... I am a walking wheelchair user. I speed around in the garden with the wheelchair and water hose. And I only have a few hours each day I can be upright before getting back to bed. Did I say optimistic 😂

Back
Top Bottom